Bank and Credit Card Fraud

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bank and Credit Card Fraud

Post by rishitibriwal »

Just received a call from "Canadian Immigration Services" that an "affidavit" has been filed against me and that I would be 'deported' within the next 24 hours. The next question was whether I had received a call from my local 'State' law enforcement and that they would then be able to help me resolve the 'misunderstanding' and avoid deportation.

When I challenged them that Canada does not have 'states' he said that he meant 'provisional' police :rofl:

Having nothing better to do at the time, I asked him next steps and he wanted my home address so that they could mail me the required documents to be signed as well as the contract for the 'recommended' law firm that would help me.

Does anybody fall for this crap????
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kukucanuck »

Just an amateur fraudster who does not have a clue about Canada, calling from some foreign country. Just ignore and laugh it off.

Surprised he is asking for your address and not asking to wire him money.

For fun, he should be told that you were born in Canada (even if you are not) and can only be deported to Canada.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

I guess it's my turn now. :(

Never had a problem with fraudulent activity on my credit cards, but I suppose it's inevitable that it would happen one day.

I got a call from a number that I didn't recognize (just numbers on the call display). I figured it was a phone scam, so I didn't talk to them. I googled the number and found out it was Chase security. I called the number on the back of my card and sure enough, they wanted to talk about some suspicious activity. Bottom line is that I am getting a new card next week.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Recently our Master Card was compromised. Evidently through a web purchase. Got a call from "loss prevention" at TD. Tried to call their dedicated number 3 times but on hold each time for 45 minutes then cut off. Eventually went through main CC number and was able to cancel the card and get new one issued. This was a PIN and chip card too.

This has happened several times over last few years. My spouse (who generally controls our CC's) has a dedicated card for web purchases, so when they get compromised, and they eventually will, she doesn't need to change other payment instructions. Still a hassle though.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

SQRT wrote:Recently our Master Card was compromised. Evidently through a web purchase... This was a PIN and chip card too.
Chip and PIN doesn't do anything to secure online or telephone purchases. If the card was compromised due to an online transaction then likely the merchant's online system was hacked.
This has happened several times over last few years. My spouse (who generally controls our CC's) has a dedicated card for web purchases, so when they get compromised, and they eventually will, she doesn't need to change other payment instructions. Still a hassle though.
Perhaps she should switch to Visa and in particular enable Verified by Visa and/or Visa Checkout. I'm not sure but the latter may even work with a TD MC.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Verified by Visa used to be in use a few years ago but I have not seen is in recent years. I know it was confusing because the merchant had to pass off the TX to another site and then wait for a response. And timeouts were common.
For the fun of it...Keith
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

kcowan wrote:Verified by Visa used to be in use a few years ago but I have not seen is in recent years.
I encounter it regularly when using a TD Visa to buy online from EU sites, whether I'm located in NA or EU at the time. (Amazon.ca Visa doesn't offer VbV so I'm forced to use the TD card and pay the 2.5% vig. Fortunately these are usually small purchases like cellphone air time credits.]
I know it was confusing because the merchant had to pass off the TX to another site and then wait for a response. And timeouts were common.
The way VbV works is that after going through a conventional checkout on the merchant's payment system, they pass your transaction to a VbV site operated by your CC company, in my case TD. That site then asks you to provide your VbV password as a final verification step. This is done directly between you and your CC company. The merchant's system is out of the loop. Your CC company only sends either an approval or rejection code to the merchant based on the password you provided. That's what makes this protocol more secure; they don't see your VbV password so they can't store it in their system.

FWIW I've never had any problems with VbV as implemented on my TD cards, never mind timeouts or outages.

Visa Checkout is a different beast. It lets you store your name and address information as well as CC numbers, expiration dates and CVVs, behind a password-protected site run by Visa. This is presumably (!?) more secure than storing CC info on merchants' systems. It's an attempt to provide more convenience and a greater sense of security for timid online purchasers. I'm a bit sceptical but we'll see.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Bylo Selhi wrote:FWIW I've never had any problems with VbV as implemented on my TD cards, never mind timeouts or outages.
I had a number of friends give up on paying their property taxes in Mexico by Visa because of VbV. I used it and the transaction was apparently rejected. I signed off. When I signed on the next day, my receipt was waiting.

Because of the problems, they have now switched to Chase. It was a CIBC Visa.
For the fun of it...Keith
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Problems with TD credit cards investigated by the CBC.
TD Bank customer frustrated with fraud investigation
Another customer who contacted CBC News had a limit of $500 on her TD Visa, but a fraudster was somehow able to rack up charges adding to $138,922 in the summer of 2016
When CBC News inquired about this case, the customer was contacted by the bank within days and was told she would not be responsible for the charges if she agreed to a settlement which included not discussing her case publicly.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

i listed a laptop on ebay. It was a relisting for $200.00 shipping included. I got an email offer to buy it for$220.00 WTF!. This is the third time something like this has happened. Problem is that ebay does not make it easy to contact them that there is a scam being attempted.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

My Visa card got compromised by a virus I didn't catch for two or three minutes before doing a system restore. Today I received an i7 8400K CPU from Amazon.ca I didn't order and I have been informed by Amazon that a second charge, which I caught, is for a graphics card. So I had to cancel the credit card and wait for Amazon's fraud team to get back to me in a day or two. A bit annoying this time of year because it turns out my MC backup card, which I hardly ever use, expires this month. I actually had to pay my motor association renewal today by cheque. :roll:

A waste of time for the fraudster since Amazon shipped his illegal purchases to my address. :rofl:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I got a survey from Chrome. It just popped up. Not an email. It wanted to know which Browsers I used, how often, on how many devices, etc. I first Googled for scams by Chrome and this did not show up. I did the survey and then was told I was eligible to buy an iphone for $1.00 US. There were a lot of comments of happy recipients. So I filled in the data. So far no $1.00 charge has showed up in my CC. I am uncertain what to do.
Zipper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zipper »

If in doubt,don't.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

tedster wrote: 21 Nov 2018 08:03 I got a survey from Chrome. It just popped up.
What website were you visiting when the survey popped unsolicited? I've used Chrome for many, many years and cannot ever remember seeing a survey from Chrome. Googling turned up Is "2018 Annual Visitor Survey. What you think of Chrome" is Scam?? in the Google Product Forums which indicates it is a scam.

I would suggest contacting your credit card company.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
rich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rich »

tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Awesome. I did a Malwarebytes scan and came up clean. I checked Control Panel and only had 1 program installed on the 19-11-2018, Dropbox. I uninstalled that as I never use it. None of the listed programs showed on Control Panel. I did have two charges from Dating Sites for $54.06 pending????? Visa is telling me they can do nothing about that as they have not been posted? Anyhow, they will send me a new card. They made me choose a new password, which will affect my other CIBC card.
rich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rich »

Would download Hitman Pro and run a free scan. This will often pick up and remove malware missed by malwarebytes.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hitmanpro/

Would be interested to know if it finds something.

Rich
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote: 21 Nov 2018 08:03 I did the survey and then was told I was eligible to buy an iphone for $1.00 US. There were a lot of comments of happy recipients. So I filled in the data. So far no $1.00 charge has showed up in my CC.
Just don't do ANY of these kinds of things that come to you unsolicited. Ever... Period...
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Am doing the hitman. It has been classifying for 30 minutes and has been at 56% for the last 15. It shows no identified threats, so far 1 suspicious cookie. However, I got a call from RBC Visa reporting a dating site charge in the exact same amount as the other two. They will send me a new card. So, big lesson learned here, although I did try the Google, just didn't turn up the one above posted by rich.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

It is now 15 or so minutes later and still shows 56% classified?
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I clicked on cancel. It has been cancelling now for an hour. Did you recommend me to another bad site? Task Manager cannot shut it down either.
rich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rich »

The site and program are fine. Wonder if malware is blocking hitman.

Rich
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Well I forced a shut down and it is gone. I don't understand it either. It has a good reputation apparently.
rich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rich »

The other possibility is that Hitman may be conflicting with another legitimate program on your computer.

Good luck
Clason
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Clason »

Shakespeare wrote: 20 Nov 2018 20:28 A waste of time for the fraudster since Amazon shipped his illegal purchases to my address. :rofl:
I wonder if the (completed) scam might have included stealing the package from your front step? Repeat 10 times in an easy-to-monitor neighbourhood and one of these ten i7s is bound to be left at someone's door for a $500 pay day. Otherwise, it's just the modern equivalent of a prank pizza order.

Not sure if there is an order value threshold, but my Amazon purchases always come NSR, and get left under the veranda when we're not home. Delivery dates and even times are also very predictable