Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

Post by DavidR »

Got a letter from Chase today, to confirm what many have been expecting:
"The amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card is ending, and your account is closing on March 15, 2018."

So my account is closing March 15 (Card shows Valid through 2/18).
Perhaps if you have a later Expiry date you have more time left.

Split from Best Credit Card (2016-2018) -- Peculiar_Investor
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card (2016-2018)

Post by big easy »

Nope. Mine expires in 2021 and I got the same notice.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
Okanagan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Okanagan »

I am currently in Mexico with amazon card...not home for 3 more months...can anyone post a snapshot of what the letter actually says please...thanks
leoc2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leoc2 »

Okanagan wrote: 12 Jan 2018 19:38 I am currently in Mexico with amazon card...not home for 3 more months...can anyone post a snapshot of what the letter actually says please...thanks
Try these links:

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/doc ... da-eng.pdf

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

So, should we have a dedicated thread on what card best replaces the Chase Amazon Visa? It might help avoid a lot of scrolling through other threads to get the answer.

2 yen
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

2 yen wrote: 13 Jan 2018 08:14 So, should we have a dedicated thread on what card best replaces the Chase Amazon Visa? It might help avoid a lot of scrolling through other threads to get the answer.
A dedicated topic to discuss dealing with Chase's decision to close the Amazon Visa card and how it will impact those holding/using the card does seem to make sense. What card best replaces the Chase Amazon Visa would be part of that discussion.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

For purchases in another currency, Rogers and Fido both give 1.6% net cashback. But no break on cash withdrawals in another currency - that's the real loss with Amazon leaving.
$29 fee at Rogers, no fee at Fido. Fee at Rogers waived if you autopay a Rogers/Fido account.
In Canada, 1.75% cashback at Rogers, 1.5% at Fido.
Cashback can be auto-credited to Rogers/Fido accounts, if they're more than $20, or it has to be requested by phone annually before Dec 1st for payment sometime in Jan (waiting right now).
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

pmj wrote: 13 Jan 2018 09:47 For purchases in another currency, Rogers and Fido both give 1.6% net cashback. But no break on cash withdrawals in another currency - that's the real loss with Amazon leaving.
For cash withdrawals in another currency, there is Home Trust Preferred Visa:
* No annual fee
* 1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards
* No restrictions on where you earn your rewards
* Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge
* No foreign currency conversion surcharges
* Purchase Security Insurance, so you can shop with peace of mind
* Visa Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
I've applied for the Rogers card, while DW has applied for this Visa.
We each have separate Amazon Rewards Visas.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Been doing some reading this morning looking for a replacement and the only thing that comes close for me so far is the Home Trust Visa.
Definitely want a VISA as a replacement as I'm quite happy with the MBNA Mastercard we have and I always like having one of each flavour.

Edit: Adrian already listed it's features.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Here is over 270 pages of discussion on RFD:
Discontinued amazon Visa
including how to get any final points credit.
For the fun of it...Keith
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

The Chase Marriott card had the same forex as the Amazon card but it's less general as it gave Marriott points instead of cash back and had an annual fee. Marriott points do have reasonable value if you travel, especially in NA and I've had this card before. It would now be the only Canadian Chase card though, what are the odds it will survive?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

Thanks. And with Amex platinum dropping Fairmont I think I'll get a bitcoin wallet plus a corporate credit card.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

peter wrote: 13 Jan 2018 12:29 The Chase Marriott card had the same forex as the Amazon card but it's less general as it gave Marriott points instead of cash back and had an annual fee. Marriott points do have reasonable value if you travel, especially in NA and I've had this card before. It would now be the only Canadian Chase card though, what are the odds it will survive?
None. It will also close on March 15th. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/chase-ma ... 2129375/6/
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Just applied for the Home Trust Preferred Visa. It will be a good stopgap in place of the Amazon card for the trip south this winter. I figure there is $300 - $400 savings (incl. cash back) in total over using the regular TD Infinite Aeroplan Visa card I use in Canada.

2 yen
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea and have received no letter. In fact, they just mailed me a replacement card - expiry 01/22 - to replace my 01/18 card, which is a bit of a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

How do you even redeem your points for a statement credit? I don't use the card very often and have just over 1300 points. I think I might as well just get the credit and close it myself. Any reason to wait?
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

snowback96 wrote: 14 Jan 2018 07:11 How do you even redeem your points for a statement credit? I don't use the card very often and have just over 1300 points. I think I might as well just get the credit and close it myself. Any reason to wait?
Statement credits are automatic at 2000 points = $20 credit. No manual redemptions.
I suspect that pro-rated credits will be given for whatever points are outstanding when the cards are cancelled - but then one would have to have used the card before that date so as to create a balance against which the credit could be applied.
Peter

kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Select the option to apply points to any outstanding balance. Then make some charges to use it up.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

pmj wrote: 14 Jan 2018 08:36
snowback96 wrote: 14 Jan 2018 07:11 How do you even redeem your points for a statement credit? I don't use the card very often and have just over 1300 points. I think I might as well just get the credit and close it myself. Any reason to wait?
Statement credits are automatic at 2000 points = $20 credit. No manual redemptions.
I suspect that pro-rated credits will be given for whatever points are outstanding when the cards are cancelled - but then one would have to have used the card before that date so as to create a balance against which the credit could be applied.
Correct.

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/doc ... da-eng.pdf

Chase Bank wrote:
Changes to your Rewards Program

• You will continue to earn rewards on purchases made before March 15, 2018.
• If you have a rewards balance at the time your account is closed, you will receive a statement credit for the full amount of your rewards balance.
• You will receive a credit for the balance of your points value calculated on purchases made before March 15, 2018 at a conversion of $1 = 100 points. If you have between 1 and 100 points, then you will receive a credit for $1.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

kcowan wrote: 14 Jan 2018 08:37 Select the option to apply points to any outstanding balance. Then make some charges to use it up.
There is no option to select. They will automatically apply points to the statement balance. The trick is to make some charges before they freeze the card on March 15, but not too early. Time your charges so they end up on the March statement, not the February statement.

If that seems too complicated, do nothing. Wait until you have a positive statement balance after March 15. Then call them and request a refund via cheque.
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

As a result of earlier discussions about the possibility of this card changing, I applied for and received the Home Trust card in November. The only downside so far is that they set the PIN and you can't change it (even if you call them).
bill2009
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bill2009 »

do the rogers/fido/home trust cards save on foreign exchange?
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

bill2009 wrote: 14 Jan 2018 13:39do the rogers/fido/home trust cards save on foreign exchange?
As Adrian pointed out, yes to all three. Although the first two do it through 4% cashback.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Home Trust VISA ATM fees are kinda high:
http://www.hometrust.ca/documents/Prefe ... nt1999.pdf
1% (Minimum fee of $2.50 and Maximum fee of $10.00) from an ATM displaying the Visa or Plus logo located in Canada;
1.50% (Minimum fee of $4.50 and Maximum fee of $45.00) if the ATM is located in United States;
1.50% (Minimum fee of $5.50 and Maximum fee of $15.00) if the ATM is located outside Canada and the United States.
This is in addition to any other charges that may be levied by the owner/operator of the ATM.
Peter