Loblaw Card Program

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.

Will you register and claim your $25?

Poll ended at 08 Feb 2018 08:52

Yes, and I'll spend the $25
74%
Yes, and I'll donate the $25 to a food bank
16%
No
10%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 31

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Loblaw Card Program

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

As a follow-up to this discussion about pricing fixing, Loblaw has now opened their Loblaw Card Program
Loblaw (and their lawyers) wrote:$25 LOBLAW CARD
Loblaw discovered that Canadians were overcharged for the cost of some packaged bread products in our stores and other grocery stores across Canada. In response, we're offering eligible customers a $25 Loblaw Card, which can be used to purchase items sold in our grocery stores across Canada (stores listed below). Registering for and obtaining the $25 Loblaw Card will not affect customers’ right to participate in any class action or to receive any incremental compensation that may be awarded by the court.
From the Registration form they are asking lots of personal information, although previous conjecture that you'll need to provide your SIN was incorrect, it doesn't seem to be required.

The section E: Release contains some interesting information
Loblaw (and their lawyers) wrote:Please review the Release carefully.
As you may be aware, proposed class actions relating to an overcharge on the price of packaged bread have been commenced. The proposed class actions have not yet been certified by the courts as class actions. If you wish, you may contact one of the intended class action law firms (click here for firm information).

In exchange for this twenty-five (25) Canadian Dollar Loblaw Card you hereby release and forever discharge Loblaw (“Loblaw” includes Loblaw Companies Limited, its parent corporation George Weston Limited and their affiliates as well as all of their current and former officers, directors, and employees) from any and all claims or causes of action (of whatever nature or kind) for damages, costs or other relief that you may have relating to or otherwise in connection with any overcharge on the price of packaged bread in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015, to the extent of twenty-five dollars.

Agreeing to this release will not impact your right to participate in any class actions relating to an overcharge on the price of packaged bread. However, doing so will mean that twenty-five (25) dollars will be deducted from any compensation that you may otherwise be entitled to receive in any class action judgment against, or settlement with, Loblaw relating to any overcharge on the price of packaged bread in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015.

You may wish to obtain independent legal advice, including by contacting one of the intended class action firms, before checking the box in Section F below, and submitting this Registration Form.
Are you going to claim your $25? There has been a push on social media to claim and then donate the funds to a food bank, see Where to donate your $25 Loblaws gift card: find your nearest food bank here - Macleans.ca. Will you claim and donate?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Loblaw Card Program

Post by adrian2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 09 Jan 2018 08:52 Are you going to claim your $25? There has been a push on social media to claim and then donate the funds to a food bank, see Where to donate your $25 Loblaws gift card: find your nearest food bank here - Macleans.ca. Will you claim and donate?
Yes, I've registered to claim it.
No, it will not affect my annual donations.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Have also claimed it - more out of principle than its value. It won't affect what I do with donations. Places like the local Food Bank need help on an ongoing basis.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

1.You are providing information which they can use to target advertising
and
2.How do you value your time?
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
skinnyinvestor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skinnyinvestor »

izzy wrote: 09 Jan 2018 11:33 1.You are providing information which they can use to target advertising
and
2.How do you value your time?
1.) In my situation, I already use the PC Plus program and have the PC World Elite MC, so they already have all of my information anyway.

2.) It took my literally 3 minutes to register and I already do all of my shopping at Loblaws, so it isn't a time sink for me.

As an aside, between the PC Plus program and the No- Annual Fee World Elite PC Mastercard, I have saved $1000.00/year over the last 2 years on regular grocery and gas purchases - plus other regular spending such as kids daycare, gym membership, entertainment etc.
No better loyalty program for my needs. Works out to ~3.6% return.
The extra mile is never crowded.
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

I wouldn't give out my sin number for something like that. I'm not even too keen on birthdate. Slightly bogus one might do. I wonder if the other companies will get taken to the woodshed too since they seem to have all been in one it.....cheers
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Profit not Prophet wrote: 09 Jan 2018 11:55 I'm not even too keen on birthdate. Slightly bogus one might do.
I entered a bogus birth date. I couldn't see any reason why they would require my birthday.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Arby wrote: 09 Jan 2018 12:55
Profit not Prophet wrote: 09 Jan 2018 11:55 I'm not even too keen on birthdate. Slightly bogus one might do.
I entered a bogus birth date. I couldn't see any reason why they would require my birthday.
They need to verify that you're 18 years of age or older.
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

I signed up. Used my special email set aside for "spam likely" companies (i.e. the one I use for websites that want an email for free trials or improved access or whatever).

I gave them my name, address and landline phone, but that is all public domain already (i.e. I get telemarketer calls already).

I don't see what harm this will do me outside of a few more junk emails about loblaws offers (and whomever else they sell the list to) in my spam email account.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I won't be signing up for the card. Although I occasionally shop at Loblaws, I've never bought any of the breads that appear on their list over the years mentioned.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

adrian2 wrote: 09 Jan 2018 13:06
Arby wrote: 09 Jan 2018 12:55
They need to verify that you're 18 years of age or older.
I doubt that Loblaws will actually _check_ one's date of birth - so an "I'm 18 or over" checkbox would suffice. But why does one have to be over 17? Don't kids ever buy groceries?
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Unless one is age of majority, one has no 'independence from that of a guardian. They are non-persons. :lol:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

The kids eat cake not bread anyway :)
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

Actually they are the only ones who really need the money but since they have little they already spend most of it so there is no immediate gain from getting their personal information :?
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

As reported elsewhere, looks like you Westerners can get your hands on a little more of your money back....

Save-On-Foods offers $25 gift card following Loblaw bread price-fixing scheme (for rewards card holders)
https://globalnews.ca/news/3955570/s...fixing-scheme/
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Had an email from these clowns yesterday. You have to send in a scanned copy of either your drivers license or a utility bill to their "secure portal" so that they can verify your name and address (one assumes that is why. Either that or Galen Weston is trying to corner the market on identity theft).

So, no.

Hell no.

Keep your $25 (which I uncharitably assume is their true intent).

Will just shop more at Food Basics and less at Loblaws/Fortinos/Zehrs/Superstore/NoFrills.
OptsyEagle
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OptsyEagle »

Never asked that from me. So far I have spent 2 of them in their stores.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Here is the text of the email. Seems to be from a legit address.

""Dear XXXXXX (Registration ID XXXXXXXXXXXXX):

Thank you for registering for a $25 Loblaw Card.

As part of our process to confirm that we are issuing a $25 Loblaw Card to a single eligible person, we are writing to request some additional information. To confirm your residential address, please submit a scanned copy or photo of either (1) a current utility bill or (2) a valid driver’s licence through our online secure portal (click here to get started). Alternatively you can provide this information via mail to P.O. Box 8111, Vancouver Main, Vancouver BC V6B 4E2. Please do not send an original document.

We need this information within 30 days so that we can finish processing your registration. Your utility bill or driver’s licence will not be used for any purpose other than to verify your eligibility to receive a $25 Loblaw Card and will be destroyed as soon as the verification is complete. If we do not receive this information within 30 days, we will have to reject your registration without further notice.

If you have any questions, please contact us via email at info@LoblawCard.ca.

Sincerely,
Program Administrator""
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I would think that those with a PC Points card (now a PC Optimum Card) and regular shopping activity on it would be validation enough.
OptsyEagle
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OptsyEagle »

That is weird. Was all the information you entered originally, legit? The two I received so far were for real people. I might have a hard time finding the driver's license for the guy who applied for my 3rd one ...that I am still waiting for. It will be interesting to see if I get it or if they ask for similar information for that one.

They seem to be sending them out fairly slowly. The two I received came more then 10 days apart. Perhaps they are adjusting their process as they go. The way I see it, is if all they were going to do is ask a person to enter some unverified info on a webpage and they will send you $25, I could not imagine that their $100 million dollar cost estimate for this program would not rise well over $1 billion very, very quickly and maybe even more.

I am a reasonably ethical person but I can't forget that they stole my money first, and therefore $75 back is less then 10% of what I think they took from me. I am sure many, many Canadians would not even worry about justifying it at all before they dove in with both hands open. They are probably starting to see a lot of new open hands, coming at them, as we speak.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

OptsyEagle wrote: 10 Mar 2018 09:08 They seem to be sending them out fairly slowly. The two I received came more then 10 days apart.
There are 5 people who applied for the card in my household.
So far, 3 cards have been received, spaced apart at about 4 - 5 days.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Yup, did it legitimately. Just applied once each for myself and DW. I suppose they feel I am the shady sort (et tu, Loblaws ? lol)

Bugger them, then. I'll just vote with my feet.

(Now, mind you, if DW gets the card without any trouble I'll never hear the end of it... :oops: )
good4u
Contributor
Contributor

Post by good4u »

Koogie wrote: 09 Mar 2018 15:18 Had an email from these clowns yesterday. You have to send in a scanned copy of either your drivers license or a utility bill to their "secure portal" so that they can verify your name and address (one assumes that is why. Either that or Galen Weston is trying to corner the market on identity theft).

So, no.

Hell no.

Will just shop more at Food Basics and less at Loblaws/Fortinos/Zehrs/Superstore/NoFrills.
I was quite offended at the information that Loblaws is asking for. I am leaning towards not doing it as it seems inappropriate that they are asking for this given the nature of the situation. They are not even giving cash so whatever money they "gift" me is being spent at their store if it ever gets spent at all. Really bad from a public relations point of view. I am curious if people will make a big stink about this.
OptsyEagle
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OptsyEagle »

good4u wrote: 10 Mar 2018 12:37
Koogie wrote: 09 Mar 2018 15:18 Had an email from these clowns yesterday. You have to send in a scanned copy of either your drivers license or a utility bill to their "secure portal" so that they can verify your name and address (one assumes that is why. Either that or Galen Weston is trying to corner the market on identity theft).

So, no.

Hell no.

I was quite offended at the information that Loblaws is asking for. I am leaning towards not doing it as it seems inappropriate that they are asking for this given the nature of the situation. They are not even giving cash so whatever money they "gift" me is being spent at their store if it ever gets spent at all. Really bad from a public relations point of view. I am curious if people will make a big stink about this.
I have heard this over and over again and have almost scratched the last remaining hairs out of my head. What exactly are they asking that is so offensive.
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

Went to "Maxi" yesterday to spend our two $25 Loblaw cards on groceries. I usually shop elsewhere (Metro). Horrible shopping experience at Maxi, I'm not going back ever again. There was real Loblaw's there up to a few years ago (and we bought bread there). But Maxi... Wow!
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective