Would you pay an annual fee to join a loyalty program?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Would you pay an annual fee to join a loyalty program?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Is Loblaws pitches upgraded loyalty program for $9.99 a month for premium perks - Business - CBC News a new initiative or a rehash of existing programs?

I try to minimize (keep it simple) membership in loyalty type programs and don't think I'd be paying extra real dollars to join a loyalty program. Isn't the purpose of such programs to reward my existing loyalty, so why pay extra?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Would you pay an annual fee to join a loyalty program?

Post by Spudd »

If I had a baby I might join... 20% off on baby products like diapers might end up being worth it, plus you can order online and pick up for free, which would be quite useful I imagine if I had a baby.

However, not having a baby, I see nothing here for me.
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

This is not gonna work, except for very specific shoppers with very specific consumption patterns (see the CBC article). No mass market appeal.

I've never paid any annual fees on credit cards, and I'm certainly not gonna pay $100 a year for a loyalty card!

I shop at Metro every week for a family of 4 and I'm a member of their free loyalty program. Points automatically get converted to a reward voucher every 3 months, send by mail. (I think there is also an app option, but I have enough apps on my phone already.) You apply this voucher towards your next visit to the grocery store, to reduce the total cost. Couln't be easier. (They also send special offers based on the products to tend to buy.) What's the catch? Well they obviously know exactly what I'm buying, now. But like a lot of other people, I'm willing to provide that information in exchange for a bit of cash every 3 months.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

It will depend on your shopping habits. You'll have to do a cost analysis to see if it is worth it.

It is being done now with Amazon Prime and Costco.

If you save more than you spend it is worth the cost,
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

deaddog wrote: 20 Nov 2017 17:46 You'll have to do a cost analysis to see if it is worth it.
+1 That is why we pay an annual fee for the BNS Visa that DW has. The selective 4% cashback makes it worthwhile.

Smart people will do that math. Most won't. Perhaps Loblaws is banking on a certain level of consumer ignorance..
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Koogie wrote: 20 Nov 2017 18:24 Perhaps Loblaws is banking on a certain level of consumer ignorance..
Based on my last trip to Loblaws, the typical Loblaws customer may not be overly price aware.
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

I'd consider paying and don't mind the concept, but if the linked article has the complete list of benefits it's not worth it for me. I actually dislike that I have to 'load' offers on the PCF master card, but the value of the points and the prices of the local Superstore are a no-brainer otherwise.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

peter wrote: 20 Nov 2017 21:14 I'd consider paying and don't mind the concept, but if the linked article has the complete list of benefits it's not worth it for me. I actually dislike that I have to 'load' offers on the PCF master card, but the value of the points and the prices of the local Superstore are a no-brainer otherwise.
Ditto though I shop mainly at No Frills, not Superstore.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

optionable68 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 20:59
Koogie wrote: 20 Nov 2017 18:24 Perhaps Loblaws is banking on a certain level of consumer ignorance..
Based on my last trip to Loblaws, the typical Loblaws customer may not be overly price aware.
Then I'm not their typical customer, while shopping there multiple times a week.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

The No Frills in my town is quite a bit cheaper than Metro and Sobeys (no Loblaws around here). And that's where all the local chefs get their produce every day. I buy everything there except meat and fresh fish.