Wire Transfer - RBC to Van City

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Kristy_gs
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wire Transfer - RBC to Van City

Post by Kristy_gs »

Has anyone done a wire transfer from their bank to a credit union? I'm trying to send a wire transfer online from my RBC account to Vancity Credit Union but when entering the recipent's account number, there is only space for 8 digits but the Vancity account number has 12 digits.
I've tried to select both "Vancity personal account and Vancity business account" on my Royal Bank mobile page to see if it would have any changes to the number of digits to enter but no luck. Please help! Thank you!

Combined and split from 2 other topics
Moderator W
Kristy_gs
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Mobile Banking

Post by Kristy_gs »

Has anyone tried doing a wire transfer with mobile banking? I have a Royal Bank account and need to wire transfer to Vancity credit union. The problem I'm experience is when it asks for the beneficiary's account number, there is only space to enter 8 digits when the account number actually has 12 digits. What should I do since I am currently overseas and cannot go into my branch?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Mobile Banking

Post by AltaRed »

Call VanCity and get their routing number. A routing number usually consists of the institution number plus the transit number. IIRC, the account number is a separate entry AFTER the routing number is entered.

https://www.vancity.com/Banking/Transfe ... Transfers/
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Wire Transfer Tips from RBC to Vancity

Post by twa2w »

Just to clarify, are you referring to an e-transfer or an on line wire transfer?

Have you called RBC or Van City to ask for solution.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Wire Transfer Tips from RBC to Vancity

Post by AltaRed »

i am guessing he does mean wire transfer, but i think the first thing that is required is the 8 digit routing number, i.e. 3 digit institution and 5 digit transit number. Then the account number would follow in another dialog box. Just like one would do in setting up an auto debit from one's acccount to pay a bill.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Wire Transfer - RBC to Van City

Post by twa2w »

Look at the number provided. The first 5 digits may be the transit number (aka branch numver)which should be followed by the number 809 which is the institution number. In some cases the 809 number may be first, followed by the 5 digit transit number. Which for van city may be 16xx0 with the Xx numbers designating the particular branch
If this is the case, the remaining numbers are the account number.

There should be space on the form for all three numbers although sometimes transit and institution number are shown as one number.

If this is the case, the remaining numbers are the account number.

Put this number in the account number field. If there are 4 numbers left then the field should be filled 00001234.

So if your 12 digit number is 164508091234 then 16450/809/1234 so routing field 16450809 and account 00001234.

Hope that helps.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Wire Transfer - RBC to Van City

Post by Insomniac »

I'm a member of a BC credit union. The account number is 12 digits, but you can simply ignore the first 4 numbers if you only have room for 8.

For those who are interested: The institution number "809" is used by Coast Capital as well as VanCity. "809" is for BC Central.

http://canada-banks-info.com/routing-nu ... g-numbers/