Receiving Interac e-Transfer

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Receiving Interac e-Transfer

Post by twa2w »

I am curious how your bank would know you have an email transfer. The sender has no idea what bank you deal with.
Would your bank, once you signed in, do a search of the interac site under the email address you recieved the notification in. How could they confirm it was for you?
I could see all kinds of issues with this.

I guess I will have my wife transfer me 10.00 and see if I can receive it outside of the link provided in the email. I deal with RBC so will see what happens.
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

In the history of interac money transfers, I have never heard of anyone having a problem. I transfer money to my daughter this way all the time and never give it a second thought. Much safer than sending gift cards to the grandkids through the mail.

If you are so concerned, why don't you phone your bank and ask them how it works, and if it's "safe"? They probably have a better handle on it than anyone else.
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

RBull wrote: 25 Aug 2017 16:34
IdOp wrote: 25 Aug 2017 11:55
RBull wrote: 25 Aug 2017 08:24Simply ignore the link for an etransfer, go directly to your banks portal and access your accounts and messages in the normal way. There is no concern this way. :thumbsup:
Indeed, I went into TD EasyWeb and looked under Transfers. The links to receive e-transfers are all there (although I'm not registered to use them). That is all good. What threw me off earlier in the thread was looking at the Interac e-transfer FAQ on how to receive. It does not mention this way to circumvent the e-mail link. (Perhaps it would be obvious if one had done it once, but I haven't.)
Excellent! An easy way to see if it's for real! :thumbsup:
I thought the e-transfer is handled via a middle org (CertaPay), not directly between two banks accounts. So when you send money via e-transfer, you or your bank don't know which bank the recipient uses, and recipient's bank doesn't see the transfer until the recipient chooses the bank to receive the money (by click the bank link in the e-transfer email). This makes sense, especially for people who use multiple banks, otherwise (i.e. if you don't click the link in the email to choose the bank first), which one would you check for the transfer?

We use multiple banks. To prove this, I just did a e-transfer from our TD account to myself (yes, you can set transfer to your own email, and we use this way to move funds between banks where we can't do online external transfers). Without click the e-transfer email link to choose a bank

- What I see in our TD account under pending transfer is the one I just sent, I can cancel it, but can't receive it

- I don't see any transfer in our other banks accounts, other than this message:
"To collect an Interac e-Transfer®, check your email and open your Interac e-Transfer notice. Select the link included in the body of the text to begin the deposit process."

So only after you choose and click the bank link inside the e-transfer email, then you can login into your (selected) bank account to receive the fund.

Again, back to OP's original question, if you didn't receive/know the password or/and not sure about the transfer, and worry about phishing scam, then don't click any link. :wink:
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

Not sure how this would work as the sender does not kno w what bank you deal with. And you do not register your email with interac.
To recieve an email under this scenario, your bank would have to link with interac and search their database to see if there us a transfer designated to your email address. I can see issues with this.

I deal with RBC - don't see any place to receive an interac transfer at first glance.

I will get my wife to sent me a 10.00 transfer tomorrow and see if I can receive it without going through the link provided by interac via email.

Edit. There is a receive email transfer link on my RBC Internet banking page but it is greyed out and not active. I presume it would be active if I sign in through the interac link.
The RBC instructions clearly state to open the link in the email from interac to receive the transfer.