Mobile Banking

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Mobile Banking

Post by tightwad »

How do people do banking on their mobile devices? Do they access the institution's online banking through a browser or use the bank's mobile banking app?

Using the browser would keep things simpler:
  • No need to load and maintain yet another app and hope there are no vulnerabilities in its code;
  • No need to deal with another interface as the view would be the same on both desktop and mobile devices. (The bank may load different web pages for a mobile user but you can request the desktop version through a browser setting.)
Are there advantages in using the mobile app? A quick perusal of app comments reveals mixed user experiences.
THEMAINEVENT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mobile Banking

Post by THEMAINEVENT »

I'm a fan of my banks mobile app. I sign in on my smartphone with fingerprint, can do any and all banking, remote cheque deposits, etc. Excellent when travelling or anywhere away from my computer.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

I use a browser for the reasons you mentioned. Havent had to deposit a cheque in years. So mobile cheque deposit not much use. I have the mobile app on my phone but find it not as easy to use as the browser version.
Last edited by SQRT on 11 Aug 2017 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I have used the mobile apps on only a few occasions on my smartphone when I have to access that way (can't read the website on my phone). Perhaps twice in the past year. I just don't have a need to get on to online banking more than once or twice a month, e.g. to make a transfer between accounts or to download PDF statements and use my laptop for that.

Edited: Context
Last edited by AltaRed on 11 Aug 2017 12:34, edited 2 times in total.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Since retiring, I use my laptop with chrome. I access 5 banks and 1 insurance company for financial matters.
For the fun of it...Keith
auntyvirus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by auntyvirus »

tightwad wrote: 11 Aug 2017 00:08Are there advantages in using the mobile app? A quick perusal of app comments reveals mixed user experiences.
Mobile cheque deposit is a very useful feature. It is only available on the app version of bank sites.

The mobile app is also useful when you are not near a trusted desktop computer. For example when travelling or at a store.
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tightwad »

The mobile app would indeed be handy for depositing cheques. However that's not an issue for me. I think I'll stick with access via the browser app for the time being as it serves my need. Thanks for all the responses.
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

auntyvirus wrote: 11 Aug 2017 12:28
tightwad wrote: 11 Aug 2017 00:08Are there advantages in using the mobile app? A quick perusal of app comments reveals mixed user experiences.
Mobile cheque deposit is a very useful feature. It is only available on the app version of bank sites.

The mobile app is also useful when you are not near a trusted desktop computer. For example when travelling or at a store.
Hmm, I use cheque deposit on the RBC regular Internet banking site. I rarely use a mobile app except to check balances or due date of a visa bill.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

twa2w wrote: 12 Aug 2017 14:45Hmm, I use cheque deposit on the RBC regular Internet banking site. I rarely use a mobile app except to check balances or due date of a visa bill.
Do you use the selfie camera on your laptop?
For the fun of it...Keith
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

kcowan wrote: 12 Aug 2017 17:06
twa2w wrote: 12 Aug 2017 14:45Hmm, I use cheque deposit on the RBC regular Internet banking site. I rarely use a mobile app except to check balances or due date of a visa bill.
Do you use the selfie camera on your laptop?
Nope, scanned the cheque to my desktop.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

There are security considerations too. Which is the most secure hardware + software combination: cell phone + app, cell phone + browser, desktop + Chrome, desktop + Firefox, etc.

Do you increase your security risk if you use more than one combination with one account? Should you use different combinations with different bank/broker accounts? For example, would it be a good idea to access your TD accounts from your desktop and your RBC accounts from your cell phone?
zeno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zeno »

From what I can tell there's no right answer as to what is more secure, Banking App or Browser. Browsers generally get more thorough testing than any individual app, but browsers are vulnerable simply because they do more, hence more opportunities to find exploits. Still, I suspect the most common risk is URL spoofing, which is why I never follow any url from a bank promotional email or website. Just type the URL into your browser.

I use a browser banking site on my laptop at home and at work nowhere else.
I use my banking app occasionally when I am travelling to pay a bill, transfer money and once in a blue moon deposit a paper cheque and never over insecure wifi (which to me is anything other than my home and work.)