Full name on TD Credit Card receipts

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
melo
Contributor
Contributor

Full name on TD Credit Card receipts

Post by melo »

Hi,

When I charge something to my TD Visa card, I noticed that my full name appears on the credit card receipt, with the last four digits of my credit card. I'm concerned with my full name appearing on the receipt, due to privacy concerns.

I contacted TD and they advised my full name should not be on the receipt (only the last four digits of the 16 digit credit card number). They asked me to contact VISA International.

I called VISA International and they stated there is nothing in their policy that prohibits my full name appearing on the credit card receipt. I mentioned that MasterCard does not give out my name at all on any of their credit card receipts, and noted I was concerned for privacy reasons. VISA said they would open up an incident report and investigate it, asking for the merchant's name. They said they would get back to me.

I just wanted to know if any of you have had your full name appear on your credit card receipts. Any concerns?

Thanks.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Full name on TD Credit Card receipts

Post by adrian2 »

melo wrote: 16 Jul 2017 19:59 I just wanted to know if any of you have had your full name appear on your credit card receipts. Any concerns?
Long time ago, they used to take an imprint of the credit card on big piece of paper, which you had to sign.
It had your name, credit card number and expiry date.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I don't recall ever seeing my name on credit card slips (old manual machines excepted as per Adrian) but I only intermittently look at my CC slip anyway and in a lot of purchases such as restaurants and small store purchases, I decline receiving a copy.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I rarely use my TD VISA, but did use it for part of the deposit on a vehicle purchase. In that case the system receipt did not have my name on it.
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

Just checked Sobey's, PetSmart, Home Depot & Lowes... None have my name on the receipts.

I would check with the vendor who processed your transaction.
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
OhGreatGuru
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OhGreatGuru »

I'm sorry, I don't see the privacy issue. Your credit card has your name on it. In the old days you had to sign the receipt too. Your full credit card number is not printed on the receipt, but you can bet the store's computer records have it. I returned something to Home Depot recently, and asked if they needed my MasterCard, but was told no, all the information we need to know is on the receipt, and we can process a refund to your credit card. So their computer systems must have a record of my MasterCard number. If you want anonymity pay cash.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

OhGreatGuru wrote: 17 Jul 2017 16:38So their computer systems must have a record of my MasterCard number.
Not necessarily. Maybe they just have a transaction number. And MasterCard can relate transaction numbers to credit card numbers.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I suspect that the problem lies with the retailer and possibly their transaction acquirer. I agree that you need to pay cash to avoid having your records stored in the retailers and/or their POS acquirer computers. When Home Depot got hacked, the hackers got everything. Any of the 3rd party POS acquirers are probably even more vulnerable than the big retailers. But this has nothing to do with the banks.

The only time the bank is involved is when the retailer uses them as a POS acquirer. Otherwise it is VISA/MC and 3rd parties. Your information is spread among many organizations. The only time there is no organization in between is Interac. I know because we built that system.
For the fun of it...Keith
melo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by melo »

Thanks everyone.

I'm still waiting to hear back from VISA International.

I took a look at all my receipts, and it's only that particular vendor that lists my full name. The other vendors only lists the last four digits of my credit card number and there is a transaction number. So it appears it is limited to that specific vendor. I will advise VISA when they call me back.