US Cash Alternatives

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: US Cash Alternatives

Post by gsp_ »

gsp_ wrote: 27 Mar 2017 07:57 The standard rate for 25k at TDCT is .65%. Bank employees have a further 10-15 basis point discretionary ability which should get you to .8%.
Two .25% fed rate hikes since this post and TD has not moved their rates at all, not impressed.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

It is an indirect correlation, not a direct one. Look at the holdings of a USD MMF. It depends on how overnight rate hikes translate into changes in yield on USD commercial paper, 90 day US T bills, etc., not the change in the overnight rate itself. There may be some uplift in 30-60 days.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Wing wrote: 19 Dec 2017 22:41 But I hold USD assets (cash and stocks) mostly, so I need to make sure either 1. BMO offers good interest rate for surplus cash (my current bank offers 0.8% for 30 day term deposit)
Is that HSBC? How does one get that rate? They post a paltry 0.25% on their website.
Wing
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wing »

gsp_ wrote: 20 Dec 2017 03:24
Wing wrote: 19 Dec 2017 22:41 But I hold USD assets (cash and stocks) mostly, so I need to make sure either 1. BMO offers good interest rate for surplus cash (my current bank offers 0.8% for 30 day term deposit)
Is that HSBC? How does one get that rate? They post a paltry 0.25% on their website.
The 0.25% rate is for their High Interest Savings Account which you can withdraw any time. The 0.8% rate is for eTerm deposit with a 30 day commitment.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

The .25% I was quoting is for the 30 day term deposit as stated in the link provided, just click on
Check today's rates to see how fast your money can grow
It does also state that
Redeemable prior to maturity with no interest paid. Interest is calculated daily, not compounded and paid at maturity. Rates available on request for deposits over $100,000.

Select Term Deposits and GICs booked through HSBC's Internet Banking may be eligible for special pricing. Log on to Internet Banking for more details.

Rates are subject to change without notice. For information and to confirm most recent rates, please contact any HSBC branch.
Thanks for the data point. Can you list the rate for the other term lengths through online banking?