Tangerine

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tangerine

Post by Chuck »

Me too. But I noticed the user interface had been re-worked.
cedeebee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cedeebee »

Chuck wrote: 29 Sep 2017 20:28 Me too. But I noticed the user interface had been re-worked.
Just saw it now and absolutely loathe it. Sure, it's pretty, but far from functional from my perspective. So much so I actually took the time to utilize their feedback feature and bitch about it. No one will pay attention, of course, but at least I had my little say...
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Tangerine's new website is not just ugly, it's inaccurate. It is not recording all transactions.

Yesterday I logged on to see how much bonus interest was added to my account on October 1st. No transaction showed up on for the 1st. The regular interest showed for the end of September as did transfers of funds out of Tangerine on the 2nd and 3rd of October.

When I called in, the rep assured me he said the transaction showed on his screen. But it doesn't show on mine -- not even today -- and the best I got out of him was that he would mail me a special statement confirming the amount of interest and that it was deposited into the account. (I was able to confirm this with my calculator, since my current balance is slightly higher than September's balance minus the transfers out.)

In the RFD thread on Tangerine another person has questioned the accuracy of his online record.

For any bank -- but especially a bank that operates only online -- to have random errors popping up that they can't correct immediately and which they have not announced publicly is a serious matter. It brings into question the integrity of their system and the competence of their management.

I have the offer of 2.75% interest through today's lottery but I am hesitating because the error has not yet been corrected online and I'm wondering if Tangerine is the safe place for my funds it has always been.
Regards,
Pickles
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

A friend of mine is trying to move $1 Million out of Tangerine to Interactive Brokers. (They have no big bank relationship)

After talking to Tangerine, they only allow transfers/bill payments of $25,000 per day and $100k with supervisor interaction.

She asked if there was a better way such as wire transfers, drafts, ACH transfer, etc they said no, and she would have to call them 10 days in a row, and get a supervisor to approve the $100k transfer 10x.... the kicker is they suggested trying one of the big banks!

Struck me as odd, and makes me think she might have had someone inexperienced on the phone.

Anyone else have a similar issue transferring large amount of money out of Tangerine without the destination being a big 5 bank ?
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Write a million dollar cheque and deposit it at IB?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

You can set up an EFT from the IB side from/to any Canadian chequing account and use it as often as you want. There might be a small charge if you do it more than once per month. Don't know what the limits are.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

If she has a Tangerine Chequing account, she ought to be able to transfer her money from the savings account, and send Interactive a cheque for the remaining $$. Of course, she could also make a second call -- this time to the number given for complaints on the website -- and remind them the ING promise "You can get at your money" and Tangerine's promise that it would continue with the same level of service.
Regards,
Pickles
SoninlawofGus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SoninlawofGus »

Pickles wrote: 04 Oct 2017 14:10 For any bank -- but especially a bank that operates only online -- to have random errors popping up that they can't correct immediately and which they have not announced publicly is a serious matter. It brings into question the integrity of their system and the competence of their management.
I just checked mine, and it's fine. But you raise some good points. At least your money was actually there in some database. My wife is one of the perhaps hundreds of thousands caught up in the Phoenix payroll debacle where the database/analytics are extremely faulty (along with the staffing issues). That our own government cannot pay it's people correctly -- and seems to be getting away with it -- is sobering. In the "normal" world, that would be illegal, essentially robbery. Analytics and big data are buzzwords in technology, but they obviously are not infallible. Is this the shape of things to come? What will be the recourse if our money is simply not there? We give it to the bank, the bank say's it's not there. If it's one person or ten, that's one thing, but assume for a second that, say, Tangerine or TDDI moves to a new platform that erroneously reports -- surely to the downside -- the accounts of half of it's customers. It's almost enough to make me want to reconsider gold. :lol:
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

SoninlawofGus wrote: 13 Oct 2017 10:28 Is this the shape of things to come? What will be the recourse if our money is simply not there? We give it to the bank...but assume for a second that, say, Tangerine or TDDI moves to a new platform that erroneously reports -- surely to the downside -- the accounts of half of it's customers. It's almost enough to make me want to reconsider gold. :lol:
Indeed, lol.

In my case, the record of transactions on their website was amended a few days later. Subsequent transactions have been recorded properly. I hope that the glitches experienced by me and other people were one-time occurrences caused by the switchover from the old to the new, horrible website.

My sympathies to your wife. As a summer student with the Department of Supply and Services in 1970 my job was to draw pretty flow charts for the computer whiz kids whose project was to computerize the government payroll. I had occasion to drop by seven years later and they were still hard at work, by then phasing in the "new" payroll system. I'm sure they had some glitches too but I don't recall any outcry about it. Hopefully things will get sorted out soon.
Regards,
Pickles
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

Anybody know how to download transaction data to a spreadsheet? I've got a Tangerine CC - surely the new website would allow one to download to a csv file, but it appears not.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

big easy wrote: 13 Oct 2017 17:25 Anybody know how to download transaction data to a spreadsheet? I've got a Tangerine CC - surely the new website would allow one to download to a csv file, but it appears not.
Yes.

1. login

2. click on Transactions on the white bar that appears near the top of the screen

3. click on "Download Transactions" button on the right

4. select account in the pop-up that appears

5. select CSV as the download format

6. I will once again reiterate that the new Tangerine website design sucks donkey balls.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

Thank you Descartes! I agree the website is a little buggy and design is not intuitive. For example, I entered my request to download transactions for the month of August, and was then directed to another screen where I had to enter the same information a second time.

Kinda like when you phone a bank/credit card company and a recording tells you to enter your card number on the touch pad and then the operator answers and asks for your card number and you say, you mean the one I just keyed into the telephone? And they say yes. :roll:
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

DenisD wrote: 12 Oct 2017 22:56 You can set up an EFT from the IB side from/to any Canadian chequing account and use it as often as you want. There might be a small charge if you do it more than once per month. Don't know what the limits are.
Called IB on that they said that's an ACH and they can only accept $100k/week
Pickles wrote: 13 Oct 2017 09:51 If she has a Tangerine Chequing account, she ought to be able to transfer her money from the savings account, and send Interactive a cheque for the remaining $$. Of course, she could also make a second call -- this time to the number given for complaints on the website -- and remind them the ING promise "You can get at your money" and Tangerine's promise that it would continue with the same level of service.
Called IB and they confirmed they do not accept cheques or drafts.

Ever try calling the 24 hour Tangerine after 6pm lately? Good luck getting through. Tangerine always has a long wait time these days. Perhaps if they reassigned the people who redesigned the website to a "worse version" and rather put them on the phones to deal with clients....... rant rant.....

Seems the digital banks (even those owned by BNS and CIBC have a long way to go before they make it to the big leagues
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
GreatLaker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GreatLaker »

optionable68 wrote: 13 Oct 2017 20:12 Ever try calling the 24 hour Tangerine after 6pm lately? Good luck getting through. Tangerine always has a long wait time these days. Perhaps if they reassigned the people who redesigned the website to a "worse version" and rather put them on the phones to deal with clients....... rant rant.....
Ha Ha Ha! Yeah... good one. Putting web designers on the customer service lines would increase customer sat. NOT! :rofl:
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I am no longer young.