Reducing car insurance premiums?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Hopetoretire
Contributor
Contributor

Reducing car insurance premiums?

Post by Hopetoretire »

Has anyone managed to lower their home and car insurance through any of the following (am with RBC)?

1. installed Rogers Smart Home monitoring - cameras, door opening/closing (reduce theft/breakins)
2. confirming use of winter tires
3. using car much less (no more commuting to work)

Feeling insecure about getting no work income in next few months and starting frugal lifestyle. Will probably feel better or worse once I monitor my monthly expenses after retiring (more entertainment, eat out, sports) etc. Any other suggestions on lowering costs would be welcome (not giving up my latte though). Thanks.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Reducing car insurance premiums?

Post by Arby »

Yes, I've had premium reductions from TD Monnex for home monitoring and for lower car mileage. You can often get a reduction in premiums if you are a member of some type of affinity group - e.g. professional association, university alumni, etc. Also ask obout a retiree's discount.
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

Yes. With RBC.
Cut house premium in half.
I reviewd policy with agent and complained about price. Main component was new roof and interior renovation but I wnet through a whole list. Alarm system, monitored, distance to hydrant and firehall, non smoker, abstainer, wired smoke detectors are some of thebthings raised by myself or the agent.
Retiree and age can lower premium as well as occupation or affiliations with certain groups.

As far as the car goes, your age, distance driven annually , driven to work or not, where you are located, where you drive to, number of drivers, abstainer, car alarm, winter tires, garaged when home can all affect your premium depending on the company. Not sure of RBC criteria( note RBC sold to aviva)

Now some people say renovations to home have driven up insurance premiums but not my experience with RBC aviva.

On 2 million liability, 500 collision, on a 2008 rav 4, I pay 13.00 month
Wife, same coverage on 2010 Tucson pays 57 a month.
House is about 95.00 a month.

Cheers
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

Yes, with CAA.
Retiree discount, lower mileage (on wife's car) and they ask about snow tires and would give a discount but we get so little snow and so seldom and we are in Florida through the part of winter we think is the worst so I don't bite on that.