Creating a will

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
InvestorNewb
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a will

Post by InvestorNewb »

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a web site or firm (preferably in Ottawa) to have a will created? I own intangible assets (domain names, web sites) and also a CCPC with investment accounts. I do not own any real estate.

I want to ensure that if I were to pass away, my brothers would inherit everything equally.

Thank you.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Creating a will

Post by hamor »

get a book from the library, buy a kit, hire a lawyer - there are options.
Ontario accepts hand written wills w/o notarization/lawyer, just write it up if your situation is simple.
"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

If you have TSFA and/or RRSP accounts, make sure you have completed the beneficiary forms with the broker (etc.).Then the accounts pass quite simply outside of the will.
Davis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Davis »

This article provides some options: http://business.financialpost.com/perso ... ill-at-all
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

If there's a CCPC involved get your will done by a lawyer.
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

brucecohen wrote:If there's a CCPC involved get your will done by a lawyer.
If there's enough assets to make a will worth the bother, or if it's more complicated than just leaving everything to your spouse, get your will done by a lawyer, please.

(One of the last estate files I worked on before retirement five years ago concerned a will drafted by the deceased together with his accountant (!). So far as I know, it's still in litigation.)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Don't know how many times this needs to be said. My head hurts from the number of times I see people balk at the few dollars it takes to do a proper will.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom