Quicken 2017 [Caution about upgrading]

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
crimsondr
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Quicken 2017 [Caution about upgrading]

Post by crimsondr »

AltaRed wrote:Even with existing versions of Quicken, downloading ceases to function after 3 years of issue, circa about May I think. Quicken 2015 will stop circa May 2018 and Quicken 2016 in May 2019 I think. Welcome to software monopolies.

Manual inputs still function though.
I always thought that the automatic downloading of transactions disabled after 3 years and assumed manual imports of ofx files continued to function. Even Microsoft Money Sunset allows importing of ofx files downloaded from your financial institution.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

You may well be right. I've never used that function.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Over the past day or so Quicken has been embarrassing themselves with this issue: "Uh-oh, something went wrong" or server error in Quicken or Quicken Mobile
Users are continuing to report issues when attempting to log in to Quicken.com, register, or update transactions with Quicken.
Apparently this is the result of the IntuitID/QuickenID authentication server being down, at least in the US. AFAIK if you reinstall Quicken you have to reauthenticate with an IntuitID/QuickenID even if you intend to use the product only in offline mode. So if you get a new PC you may not be able to use Quicken on it if no authentication servers are available.

According to Quicken the issue is now resolved. That was a temporary outage. But it begs the question of whether people will be able to continue to use the product in the event Quicken goes out of business and as a result the plug gets pulled permanently on their servers.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Bylo Selhi wrote:According to Quicken the issue is now resolved. That was a temporary outage. But it begs the question of whether people will be able to continue to use the product in the event Quicken goes out of business and as a result the plug gets pulled permanently on their servers.
Indeed. I was having the same thoughts when getting that saame error last night.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
JohnMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JohnMorgan »

You CAN go back to a prior version. Just use a backup data file as your prime data when opening the new-old programme. It really just depends how far back your last change was of course.
But like so many posters here and elsewhere, I want a programme, not a subscription, and certainly not "cloud based trust us with your data file" where when they go belly up you could lose everything.
I fear we may just have to use an Excel spreadsheet (from that other well-known subscription provider ;).
Book-keepers anyone?
tytareka
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tytareka »

You may also try Quicken 2017 US edition. There will be no direct import from your bank, but you can use CSV2QIF at https://www.propersoft.net/csv2qif/ or similar converter and import your transactions.
obelix
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by obelix »

I looked into the alternatives.

Most banks provide the transactions in CSV format. What is needed is a converter to convert CSV to QIF, and then import the QIF files into Quicken.

One can find more info at Wikipedia re: QIF format. It's ASCII based and actually quite straightforward.

csv2qif by Propersoft at USD39.99 is limited to one person, one computer only. It's kind of pricey.

Another option is: the converter by Opal Software: http://www.skytopia.com/software/opal-c ... to-qif.htm at USD19.99

I finally decided to try this macro:

http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php

It's free, and fairly simple.
USAQuicken2015User
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by USAQuicken2015User »

I'm very disturbed by all this. I have had many issues lately after my Quicken 2015 Home and Business Edition went on its own and updated itself after I closed the starting popup about a new version (2017) being available, and 40% off offer. After the update, I restarted it, and was stuck with the LOGIN popup. I have not logged in in years. I did not need to since I stopped using auto updates and downloading of transactions from my accounts. I only use manual entries of my transactions (many using copy and paste from my online account access to the financial entities I'm working on at any time. Even copy and pasting has been made harder at many online websites, since they make the transactions links to more data (PAYPAL for example).

Many of the posters in this thread use older versions, even older than my 2015. When this auto update ran, and locked me , it took me hours to figure out how to fix it. I eventually had to email for my information, and that caused issues as well. My email is on another older computer, and not on at the time.

Quicken help even emailed me to call them when I complained on their Facebook page. I did not call as I had fixed the problem as of now. I have just today gotten an email that I need to register again and create a new Quicken ID and password due to the sale, the Intuit ID and pass will go obsolete soon. That is the part that all older versions will be caught on. No more updates, bug patches, etc., and possibly no more data entry to older versions.

We all paid good money for these programs, often spending more for newer versions, and to be told we now have to pay annually, that is a killer. BTW, McAfee has gone this route a few years back as well. You can no longer get upgrades and patches to older virus protection software by McAfee. Subscriptions are only $30 USD (not bad, but still.)

I'm looking for a Quicken replacement, but like many, it is part of your financial day to day habits and needs in today's economy. I do not buy or trade, but did at one time. I do have a 401k, and a mail order business online, so my finances are always entered manually. I usually enter up to a month of transactions (recurring ones) ahead of time to watch and track bills and expenses. Spending other than those is entered after, usually ACH transactions since I do not use cash anymore unless I need to.

Overall, Quicken will loose many of there long time customers for their new practices today.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

My understanding is that anyone, in Canada at least, on existing 2016 or earlier versions of software will still have operational* software infinitum (manual entries) but no more updates or downloading of asset prices after the 3 year period is up. Whether you have to login with a Quicken ID or not should be immaterial to the functioning of your software. It is only new (Quicken 2017) and beyond versions of the software that will be under the new annual subscription business model.

* Cannot see how they can change the contract retrospectively
fredh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fredh »

I've been on the fence about upgrading from Quicken 2014.
Like many others, the subscription model does not please me. But it is a sign of the times, and it is getting dominant, even in consumer softwares (1password, collectorz, etc).
The fact is Quicken was getting worse every year for a long time (slower every year, few new features, etc) and I was convinced Intuit was about to close doors.
So maybe a change of culture is a good thing. The new CEO has said they put a lot of investments into programmers. And my question is: does it show? Have we ween some improvements of the product itself?
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

I have been satisfied with the current subscription releases (R1 H&B edition v26.1.1.112) and not experienced any failures or crashes like I used to on previous versions. This is a much better track record then previous versions for sure! The only gripe is the worsening of automatic entries with Memorized Payees having a mind of its own but I suspect that is more about my bank (PCF) not being consistent in the labels. I have no issues with CIBC Visa transactions so probably not a Quicken issue.

Some problems still remain which have been since forever in reports like multi-line split for dividend & income entries, inconsistent naming for internal tags across multiple releases and missing entry $ amounts in some type of transactions (totals are correct however). I have been experiencing a couple of theses since at least 2013 version and given up with support and reporting them. Perhaps it would be a good test to call them back to see how they handle with this new promise of more programmers and better customer service.

I have way too much time invested (and data) in this product and certainly not enough time on my hands to switch to another piece of software. I have experimented with several others and frankly the amount of manual entry work, data conversion and just plain lack of functionality in other products is making me stay. The $90 is well worth it for my purposes since I still have to work for a living and don’t have all day to convert or do data entry.
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Thanks, Obelix, for the links.
I don't have excel so I haven't tried the macro.
I've been trying out the Opal demo software this morning and it does work, and although it's a bit clunky, it'll be much less painful than entering dozens of entries by hand.
The demo is limited to 30 entries, and if you use the "download all entries on record" from your bank it will download them all but it will only allow you to work with the oldest 30. But it gives you a good idea what it will do.
You have to download each account separately, ie one csv download for checking account, and one for credit card, etc.
The columns are different for each account, for example the checking account has a column for check numbers and the credit card doesn't, so you have to match the CSV column headers with where you want the information to go in the Quicken file. It's fairly intuitive.
You then create the qif file and import it into quicken.
I had to try a few times until I got everything in the correct columns but once I had done that everything went well.

I notice that there is also a quicken option for importing securities data from a CSV file. Anyone have any experience with this?
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

OK, so I bought the "1,000 downloads at once" version of Opal CSV - QIF - CSV for about 20 bucks and I'm ok with it. It's several more steps than the Quicken download but much faster than putting in a couple of dozen entries by hand. It was all accepted by Quicken perfectly and everything balances. According to Opal, the program is now mine to operate for ever. No quibbling about more money a year from now. Yay!

I tried getting a csv file to import for stock quotes. (File>File import>Import security prices from CSV file in Quicken 2014)

I downloaded directly from Yahoo Finance as described here. It downloaded in less than a second and the csv file contained all the information for my stocks, (I could see it in notebook) but only the Apple prices were imported into Quicken. I Imagine it was because the symbol format for Yahoo (RY.TO) is not the same as the symbol format accepted by Quicken. I only own 11 stocks so I'll probably end up putting them in by hand, although if anyone has an easy workaround I'd appreciate it.
- Grandson #2
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Maybe change the Yahoo symbols in the CSV file to match the Quicken symbols.
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

Wallace wrote: 22 Jul 2017 17:10 It downloaded in less than a second and the csv file contained all the information for my stocks, (I could see it in notebook) but only the Apple prices were imported into Quicken. I Imagine it was because the symbol format for Yahoo (RY.TO) is not the same as the symbol format accepted by Quicken. I only own 11 stocks so I'll probably end up putting them in by hand, although if anyone has an easy workaround I'd appreciate it.
In your import table use a vlookup formula to create the matching pair of the stock in a cell/column of your import column to adjust the proper format for a ticker.

Assuming your source ticker is in cell B2 (ABX.TO) and the name of the table where your reference values are stored is named tblSymbolEquiv would return ABX with this formula:

Code: Select all

=VLOOKUP(B2,tblSymbolEquiv,2,FALSE)
If you don't know what a named ranges or tables are the following would work as well but you would have to update it every time you add a new row or column:

=VLOOKUP(B2,$A$1:$C$8,2,FALSE)

Yahoo Finance	ExDividend.ca	Security Name
ABX.TO		ABX		Barrick Gold Corp
AI.TO		AI		Atrium MIC
AQN.TO		AQN		Algonquin Power & Utility Corp
ARE.TO		ARE		AECON Group Inc.
BCE.TO		BCE		BCE
BCE-PF.TO	BCE.PR.F	BCE Pref AF
BEP-UN.TO	BEP.UN		Brookfield Renew Energy
Because this is off-topic for this thread... PM me if you want and I can help you.
--
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Thanks Sumaco. I'll give it a whirl. I'm using OpenOffice so the commands might be a little different. Thanks also for your offer of help with a pm. I've a feeling I might need it.
Cheers,
Wallace.
- Grandson #2
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Wallace wrote: 22 Jul 2017 18:34 I'm using OpenOffice so the commands might be a little different.
Offt-topic but consider a move to LibreOffice. It is the one that is actively supported now versus OpenOffice.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/openoffice ... breoffice/
https://www.layerpoint.com/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Thanks for that, AltaRed. I'll look into it.
- Grandson #2
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Just posted on Quicken's support forum:
Hi all,

Thank you for your continued contributions here—here's a new message from our CEO, Eric Dunn:

Dear Quicken Customers,

Based on your feedback, we’ve decided to make a change to the way Quicken works after your subscription membership expires.

As you’ve read here, our original plan would allow you to have full access to all of your Quicken data, including the ability to edit, run and print reports, and export after your membership ends. However, you could not enter new manual transactions or access online services.

After hearing your feedback, and talking to many of you personally, we’ve decided to change this behavior, and enable you to manually add transactions and accounts, even after your membership ends.

Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will still end after your subscription membership does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within Quicken.

Thank you for your continued feedback around our changing business. We hope this change in policy helps address the concerns you’ve voiced.

Our goal is to offer an outstanding product that provides you with great value, and we want you to be confident that you’ll always have access to your data.

I will continue to keep you updated on our future plans.

Thank you for being a loyal Quicken customer.

Sincerely,
Eric
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

Wow. Well, we're still stuck with the crappy new terms of a higher price for less years of service, but it's better than nothing. If anything it at least reassures us that upgrading from Q2016 to Q2018 won't send us into a ditch if we stop paying the next year.

I suspect in that case, I'll end up coughing up the full price when Q2016 expires on me. Mainly because my time has now become valuable enough that spending a few hours per year futzing with software that's a poorer match for me is no longer going to justify the cost difference.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

That is good news for those affected. Worth noting the caveat though, that as usual the future is uncertain:
Quicken Kathryn wrote:Just to clarify any confusion, this new Data Access Guarantee applies to current subscription products, and the only subscription product available is the 2017 Canadian release of Quicken. At this time, there haven't been any decisions made on potential future product releases in relation to subscription.
(... from a post in the thread Bylo linked).
Hackster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hackster »

I got excited for a moment by this change and the new Data Access Guarantee... until I read this on the Data Access Guarantee page:
Please note that the Quicken Data Access Guarantee is subject to all limitations and conditions outlined in the Terms of Use and End User License Agreement.

and followed the link to the EULA, where I read section 11 (my highlighting):
11. TERMINATION
Quicken may immediately, in its sole discretion, and without notice terminate this Agreement or your use of the Software if you fail to comply with this Agreement or if you no longer agree to receive electronic communications, or for any other reason. Upon termination you must immediately stop using and delete or destroy all copies of the Software and any outstanding payments will become due. ...
I am currently using Quicken 2014 and find that the expiry of online services "costs" me 30 minutes every 2-3 weeks, which I have to spend on converting QFX files to QIF and on updating stock/ETF prices. The updated Data Access Guarantee could have allowed me to purchase subscription (I value my time higher than $4/hour), except, the whole point of "manual entry of transactions" is moot, since according to the EULA, Quicken may choose to terminate the agreement with me "at any time and for any reason" (subscription expiry is a good reason...) and I would be under the obligation to "immediately stop using and delete or destroy all copies of the software".
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

Upon termination you must immediately stop using and delete or destroy all copies of the Software
This is very standard clause in any software you purchase, perpetually renew or subscribe to.

Have a look at the results of this search and you will see it across may products.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Upon+terminat ... fab&ia=web
--
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

This is a step in the right direction, but too late. After using Quicken for more than 10 years I moved on to a new software.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Germack wrote
This is a step in the right direction, but too late. After using Quicken for more than 10 years I moved on to a new software.
Which is??