Quicken 2017 [Caution about upgrading]

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Quicken 2017 [Caution about upgrading]

Post by Germack »

I use Mint now.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Bylo Selhi wrote: 03 Aug 2017 15:25 Just posted on Quicken's support forum
Thanks Bylo for your tireless efforts to convince the Quicken management team of the errors of their ways in the previous policy and for keeping the FWF community updated with the latest developments.

For a while I was involved in providing feedback to Quicken about the change, but their support forum software made tracking the new posts very difficult and since I figured I'd clearly made my viewpoints clear I stopped visiting. I admire your diligence in carrying on and not letting the Quicken team get away with making this lousy decision.

Since I'm currently running on Quicken 2016, I've got a couple of years to wait and see how the transition to Quicken 2017 and beyond works out before making a decision.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Seawinds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Seawinds »

I am considering buying Quicken and understand they now have a subscription service, but have a number of questions. I would use it mainly to just track investments, ACB, Capital Gains, ROI etc.

Does the fact that it is subscription this mean the data is stored online now?
Can you download software that runs as a stand alone application on a home computer?
From what Bylo posted it seems that if I don't renew I can still enter transactions and update prices manually. Is that correct?
Could I just buy an older version of Quicken somewhere and enter things manually?
If I buy the US Quicken version and update transactions and prices manually will it work for Canadian investments?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Seawinds wrote: 16 Sep 2017 10:03 I am considering buying Quicken and understand they now have a subscription service, but have a number of questions. I would use it mainly to just track investments, ACB, Capital Gains, ROI etc.

Does the fact that it is subscription this mean the data is stored online now?
No, Quicken's data file resides on your computer. It has the ability to download transaction data from a variety of financial institutions. Quicken does have a sunset provision with older, non-subscription versions, that prevents the downloading of financial data and stock quotes.
See Currently Supported Quicken Products (Discontinuation Policy) for details.
Can you download software that runs as a stand alone application on a home computer?
Yes, that's how it works. Whether Quicken changes their model going forward remains to be seen.
From what Bylo posted it seems that if I don't renew I can still enter transactions and update prices manually. Is that correct?
That appears to be the change that Quicken has promised based on all the feedback they received.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Seawinds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Seawinds »

Thanks Peculiar_Investor for your comments. I am wondering if I plan on inputting everything manually... would I be just as well off buying an older used US version of Quicken and using that. Will the US version work fine for Canadian investments and tax purposes?
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I am using Quicken 2002 deluxe. Have done for years. Input everything manually. Have had no difficulties as yet.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote: 21 Sep 2017 22:31 I am using Quicken 2002 deluxe. Have done for years. Input everything manually. Have had no difficulties as yet.
The question is how a new user might secure original copies of earlier versions of Quicken.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Seawinds wrote: 21 Sep 2017 17:14 Thanks Peculiar_Investor for your comments. I am wondering if I plan on inputting everything manually... would I be just as well off buying an older used US version of Quicken and using that. Will the US version work fine for Canadian investments and tax purposes?
No, the US version is based on US tax rules.
Some significant differences are:
- in Canada, the cost base is always the average, in US one can pick FIFO / LIFO? / specific lots.
- handling of return of capital distributions / phantom distributions from ETF's.

Get a Canadian Quicken. FWIW, I'm using the 2012 version, Home & Business, and I've always input all data by hand.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

AltaRed wrote: 22 Sep 2017 01:03
tedster wrote: 21 Sep 2017 22:31 I am using Quicken 2002 deluxe. Have done for years. Input everything manually. Have had no difficulties as yet.
The question is how a new user might secure original copies of earlier versions of Quicken.
eBay would probably work.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Spudd wrote: 22 Sep 2017 15:45
AltaRed wrote: 22 Sep 2017 01:03 The question is how a new user might secure original copies of earlier versions of Quicken.
IIRC, one has to register the product before it will even let you into it. Might even need a product key but I don't recall. Best one knows for sure first.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

AltaRed wrote: 22 Sep 2017 15:51
Spudd wrote: 22 Sep 2017 15:45
AltaRed wrote: 22 Sep 2017 01:03 The question is how a new user might secure original copies of earlier versions of Quicken.
IIRC, one has to register the product before it will even let you into it. Might even need a product key but I don't recall. Best one knows for sure first.
My 2012 version does not ask for a key, just installs straight out of the box.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
QuickenPegger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by QuickenPegger »

Hi,

Looking for Quicken Home & Business 2013.

I need this version to upgrade Quicken H&B 2009 data, then I can try to get a more current version.

I do NOT want to upgrade to their current subscription model, so will have to try to get 2016 version.

Please contact me if you can help.

Thanks