Investing in USD

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
OhGreatGuru
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Investing in USD

Post by OhGreatGuru »

Wing wrote:In protecting myself from the potential depreciation in CAD, I'd like to put some money holding USD. I can only think of these options:...
You think with that lunatic in the White House it's a good time to buy USD? During the campaign Donald claimed he would "renegotiate" the billions of dollars of US Treasury bills that China holds, because he is a "great negotiator". The only way the US could do that is to default on their bonds. What do you think that would do to the USD?
InvestorNewb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by InvestorNewb »

I trust US currency more than I trust Canadian currency. That's why I keep the majority of my assets in USD.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

OhGreatGuru wrote:The only way the US could do that is to default on their bonds. What do you think that would do to the USD?
Personally I think that the odds of this happening are 100%.
gobsmack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gobsmack »

Flaccidsteele wrote:
OhGreatGuru wrote:The only way the US could do that is to default on their bonds. What do you think that would do to the USD?
Personally I think that the odds of this happening are 100%.
This is a rather extraordinary claim. May I ask you to explain why you believe this to be the case? If you believe this to be true, shouldn't you be selling all your US properties and moving away from USD?
doom_diver
Contributor
Contributor

Post by doom_diver »

If you believe this to be true, shouldn't you be selling all your US properties and moving away from USD?
:rofl:

The Canadian dollar is at a far greater risk of a crash then the United States.

At this point I believe Gold is a far better investment then the USD.