High interest rates for savings, GICs and MMFs (2017)

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
rhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High interest rates for savings, GICs and MMFs (2017)

Post by rhenderson »

Money101 wrote: 24 Sep 2017 21:35
How do you know that the next Tangerine lottery will be on Oct 5? I wasn't sure which date would be the cutoff, but figured that I should have the money out of the account before the end of the month to qualify. So I pulled the money into EQ on Friday the 22nd to double-dip for the weekend and to have the funds available in case Tangerine starts another promotion in the first week of October.

The 5th is probably close enough but according to agit @RFD it could be the 4th.

"for the past 2 years most Tangerine loto promo start on the first Wednesday of the month so expect promo date Oct 4"

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/tangerin ... 61002/123/
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

Descartes wrote: 25 Sep 2017 08:52 Based on past years, the "smart" money says that the next Tangerine lottery, if there is one, will start on Wednesday October 4.

A push from Tangerine involves a call or a chat for anything over 25K.
Again, the "smart" money says be non-committal regarding any offer they might give you but proceed with the push.

A pull from EQ does not involve any call or chat.
EQ won't pull for about 3 business days so you will double up interest with a pull.
However, EQ holds the money for 5 business days.

I, personally, am doing a pull from EQ today with the remainder (under 25K) pushed elsewhere later this week: it is more important to me to ensure I am in the running for any possible lottery rather than preserve a few days additional interest.
An update on this post for future reference.
The "Fall Savings" bonus offer begins today, October 4, as many predicted.
If you log into your Tangerine account you will find it under Settings | Bonuses.
*However* you will not be able to look at the offer details yet. I guess they unlock them later today to build the excitement and suspense. :roll:

The EQ pull took 2 business days not 3 so in future I could have tightened up the schedule.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 08:40 If you log into your Tangerine account you will find it under Settings | Bonuses.
My Tangerine does not have a "Settings | Bonuses" section :?
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

fundamental wrote: 04 Oct 2017 08:47
Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 08:40 If you log into your Tangerine account you will find it under Settings | Bonuses.
My Tangerine does not have a "Settings | Bonuses" section :?
Let's be more specific then:

1. log in

2. go to top right where it has your name and a downward pointing arrow.

3. press arrow and select "Profile & Settings"

4. click "Bonuses & Contests" at the rightmost on the white bar that appears.

5. Scroll down till you see the section "Your Special Rate Offers"

6. Pray to the Tangerine gods for something good to appear.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 08:556. Pray to the Tangerine gods for something good to appear.
Thanks Descartes. The offer terms are not yet activated so I will begin praying now ;)
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

fundamental wrote: 04 Oct 2017 09:07
Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 08:556. Pray to the Tangerine gods for something good to appear.
Thanks Descartes. The offer terms are not yet activated so I will begin praying now ;)
The gods have spoken, at least for me, and they are rather miserly: 2.75%.
Side note: boy, is this new web site a buggy piece of poorly designed crap.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 09:58 Side note: boy, is this new web site a buggy piece of poorly designed crap.
Others have commented in the Tangerine topic.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Name change for some Hollis Bank ISAs and GICs for those of you with these products. Some of the DYN products might remain with Scotia, e.g. DYN1300. This is associated with the Scotia sale of some? (all?) of the Hollis assets earlier this year...the details of which I have forgotten.

https://ads.scotiabank.com/news/hollis- ... ange/en-CA

Added: From this website https://ads.scotiabank.com/ADS/Download/236/en this might suggest that with DYN500 and DYN400 now being offered exclusively through Advisors, retail clients of Scotia iTrade may now have to move to DYN1300 et al if they are not already owners of DYN500 or DYN400. Time will tell I guess on how this manifests itself.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 09:58 The gods have spoken, at least for me, and they are rather miserly: 2.75%.
Side note: boy, is this new web site a buggy piece of poorly designed crap.
I think I've been blacklisted. All extended family members got a 2.75% offer. Yours truly got zero. :evil:

The new Tangerine website is embarrassingly atrocious.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

Tangerine rates received in this iteration of the lottery appear to be 2%, 2.12%, 2.2%, 2.4%, and 2.75%.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/3-month- ... d-2061002/

If you got 0 then you might want to try calling a CSR for a retention rate. Some people have reported success with that in the above link. ..But it might have been coupled with a threat of pushing out a large balance to another bank.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

FWIW, this thread https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/foru ... ct-5-2017/ has lit up like a Christmas tree as well.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
good4u
Contributor
Contributor

Post by good4u »

What is the best high interest savings account for someone who did not get any lottery rate from Tangerine? Would it be EQ at 2.3%?
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

good4u wrote: 04 Oct 2017 13:13 What is the best high interest savings account for someone who did not get any lottery rate from Tangerine? Would it be EQ at 2.3%?
1. Consider calling in for a retention rate at Tangerine first. You might get up to 2.5%.

2. Simplii (CIBC) starts in November. Look for a promo rate there next month.

3. Consider reviewing here - the rates reported in the first post are updated periodically.

4. If you are looking for CDIC protection right now and Tangerine won't play then, yes, EQ.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

good4u wrote: 04 Oct 2017 13:13 What is the best high interest savings account for someone who did not get any lottery rate from Tangerine? Would it be EQ at 2.3%?
For now, EQ iis the 'go to' for 'regular' high rates but I doubt that will stick long term post-HCG crisis. Alterna Bank at 1.9% may be more sustaining longer term. Alterna was apparently the big Ottawa CU at one time and has a wide range of services. That may be a more viable model than some of the 'odd' pop ups that come and go.

Try this website too https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Descartes wrote: 04 Oct 2017 12:35 Tangerine rates received in this iteration of the lottery appear to be 2%, 2.12%, 2.2%, 2.4%, and 2.75%.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/3-month- ... d-2061002/

If you got 0 then you might want to try calling a CSR for a retention rate. Some people have reported success with that in the above link. ..But it might have been coupled with a threat of pushing out a large balance to another bank.
I just played the Tangerine lottery, and got 2.55%. Better than the 2.35% I got last quarter
Hopetoretire
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hopetoretire »

Dumb question :-( ahead

Does anyone know where the little GlobeandMail interest rate table that used to be on the Personal Finance page went? I'm finding the new format rather painful, just like Tangerine's pages as I like to see everything in one place.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Not familiar with the G&M one but you might find this fulfills your needs.
Comparison chart
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Okanagan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Okanagan »

Try this link for G&M for interest rates

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/Pa ... r=R&page=1

I saved this from years ago as I can never find it when on the site
Hopetoretire
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hopetoretire »

Thank you both for the hi-save and GIC rates. Glad this is sortable, but some not available through TD, RBC or BMO DI sadly (have enough in Manitoba CU's to motivate me to move there!)
Canadian Saver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Canadian Saver »

I received 2.75% from Tangerine, but didn't get my money out before the promo. I called for a promo rate and they offered me 1.6%, at which point I followed through on my "threat" to move the money to EQ. Better luck next time I suppose!
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

We had similar experience with Tang (received 2.75% emails but had not taken out money before Oct 4th due to travelling). We called on Oct 10, Tang person (a nice gentleman) said they could offer 2% for one of us, but 2.5% for the other (based on "individual profile" he said). We protested politely, he asked if we live in the same home (Of course we do, they can see that from our address as well), and offered 2.5% to both of us at the end.
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

Simplii Financial brings its "A Game" and launches with a 3% promo for all new money through Feb 28, 2018.

https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offe ... erest.html
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I just went to PC Financial's website to check on the October interest. Got redirected to Simplii. Clicked on "Sign In" in the upper right corner. Get a message that "We're sorry, Simplii Financial Online Banking is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience." :cry: About what I'd expect from a seamless transition. :evil:

ADDED: Hey, I'm on a roll, EQ Bank website is down as well:
EQ wrote:Sometimes our website needs to be maintained, upgraded or fixed.

It shouldn’t take long, but if you require immediate assistance, please call our Customer Care Centre at 1-844-437-2265, we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks for your patience!
ADDED 2: CTFS website is working and indicates their savings account at 1.50 %. Not sure if this is new or not, but I didn't recall it.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

UPDATE: I went directly to the Simplii website, without redirecting from PCF, and then it worked. Inside the site things are laid out much the same as the PCF site, with different trim.

ADDED: Direct Link to Sign In page
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

IdOp wrote: 01 Nov 2017 13:41 ADDED: Hey, I'm on a roll, EQ Bank website is down as well:
""Sometimes our website needs to be maintained, upgraded or fixed.""
It is still down this afternoon... :x

A conspiracy minded individual would say it is suspiciously like they are trying to stop
the outflow of money to Simplii...