change of name

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
supremespunch
Contributor
Contributor

change of name

Post by supremespunch »

I'm thinking of changing my middle name which I typically don't disclose unless required to.

How much of a hassle or risk is this when it comes to RRSP accounts, taxable equity accounts, Canada Revenue Agency, and the Canada Pension Plan?

I would guess it's of no risk at all with the Canada Revenue Agency and the Canada Pension Plan because my accounts are tied to my Social Insurance Number. Would I be issued a new SIN card in the new name but with the original SIN number? Of the following: British Columbia birth certificate, Canadian passport, and Ontario drivers' license, I suppose the passport and drivers' license become invalid immediately upon the change so those would have to be re-issued. What about the birth certificate?
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: change of name

Post by Pickles »

I suspect you'll get more information from simply googling "changing your name in___" than from members of our financial forum. Have you tried that? It'll have the most up to date instructions.
Regards,
Pickles
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

JohnnyFactor
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnnyFactor »

I did this a few years ago, in BC. Here's what happened:

- New SIN card, same number.
- New Birth Certificate, old one must be destroyed.
- New Drivers License, and you will also have the option to get the 'unified-with-medicare' card. Unless you opt for an 'enhanced' DL (for border crossings).
- A visit to a Notary Public and then back to Services Canada.
- CRA was not an issue, because it's tied into the Services Canada system.
- New credit cards.
- I did not have a passport or RRSP at the time.

$150 and six weeks time. Hope this helps.
OhGreatGuru
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OhGreatGuru »

Bureaucracies being what they are, you can probably look forward to several years of international travel problems because your new passport name does not match what the different countries have in their data bases for your passport number. You will have to gauge if it is worth it. Maybe ask airlines and/or CBSA if there is a way to make sure such data bases are updated. In the meantime, keep a copy of your change of name document with you if you travel internationally.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

I can't see the point unless your name matches someone on a security list. Most people don't know the middle names of even their friends. Even many forms only request a middle initial.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle