Foreign ATM Withdrawals-Debit vs No FX Fee Credit cards

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Foreign ATM Withdrawals-Debit vs No FX Fee Credit cards

Post by pmj »

Any knowledge on the duration/renewal of the cash withdrawal limit on Amazon VISA cards?
Presently in Europe, just ran into this, phoned to check, and was told that the limit renews on the statement date.
I commented that this is different to all other cards (that I could remember) which have daily and weekly limits. Statement date was confirmed.
I found the same advice from the call centre reported in another forum, although the poster commented that it wasn't true - he had withdrawn the limit repeatedly on consecutive days.
Anyone have direct / contradictory experience?
Anyone want to check the printout that came with the card? (left mine at home :oops:).
Thanks!
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

pmj wrote: 17 Aug 2017 18:38 Any knowledge on the duration/renewal of the cash withdrawal limit on Amazon VISA cards?
Presently in Europe, just ran into this, phoned to check, and was told that the limit renews on the statement date.
I commented that this is different to all other cards (that I could remember) which have daily and weekly limits. Statement date was confirmed.
I found the same advice from the call centre reported in another forum, although the poster commented that it wasn't true - he had withdrawn the limit repeatedly on consecutive days.
Anyone want to check the printout that came with the card? (left mine at home :oops:).
Thanks!
The cash withdrawal limit does not renew on the statement date. Once the transaction is posted, you can do another withdrawal. Been there, done that.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

adrian2 wrote: 17 Aug 2017 21:48
pmj wrote: 17 Aug 2017 18:38 Any knowledge on the duration/renewal of the cash withdrawal limit on Amazon VISA cards?
Thanks!
The cash withdrawal limit does not renew on the statement date. Once the transaction is posted, you can do another withdrawal. Been there, done that.
Thanks, Adrian2! Haven't had chance to check this yet - but I think my problem arose cos my successive withdrawals were on a Friday, then over the weekend, and the first one had not yet been posted. It's not enough that a transaction is "pending". Also, when it is posted, the $5 / 1% fee is visible, which it isn't when pending.
Also pretty certain that the exchange rate is set immediately at the time of the transaction - even though it's not visible at the pending stage - cos the $values of the withdrawals never changed.
Kinda sad that the CC reps are providing wrong advice on this :(.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

pmj wrote: 20 Aug 2017 09:44 Also pretty certain that the exchange rate is set immediately at the time of the transaction - even though it's not visible at the pending stage - cos the $values of the withdrawals never changed.
In some cases, the CAD value does change from its number displayed in the "pending" status. I can't remember if it's when the transaction is during business hours or otherwise.
pmj wrote: 20 Aug 2017 09:44 Kinda sad that the CC reps are providing wrong advice on this :(.
True!
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I wish Mexican ATMs didn't use a dollar sign for the peso. When you have to select OK to withdraw $4000 and the account has nowhere near C$4000, you get a bit nervous.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Shakespeare wrote: 12 Dec 2019 12:55 I wish Mexican ATMs didn't use a dollar sign for the peso. When you have to select OK to withdraw $4000 and the account has nowhere near C$4000, you get a bit nervous.
Well, it's more likely than not that the dollar sign comes from the peso and not the other way around! :lol: