Quicken 2016 upgrade - feedback and comments

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
MoresbyBatter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Quicken 2016 upgrade - feedback and comments

Post by MoresbyBatter »

Yes, I have exactly the same problem with Quicken and TD with duplicate entries. Doesn't do it all the time, but when it happens, I have to manually delete all the duplicates.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Rysto wrote:Does anybody else download transactions from TD EasyWeb into Quicken 2016? The transaction matching feature in Quicken appears to be completely broken, meaning that I am constantly getting some transaction multiple times in my Quicken register. Cleaning this up is becoming immensely frustrating. Is anybody else having this problem?
I don't have this problem. I download a chequing account and a HELOC from TD EasyWeb.

Not sure if this is going to help but try this:

Edit menu --> Preferences...
Register --> Downloaded transactions
Disable the first option: 'Automatically add to banking registers'

Once you disable this option, you will have to manually accept the transactions in the Downloaded Transaction window at the bottom of the registry. You can accept them all at once in one click.

I remember I disabled the automatic entry because I had trouble downloading transactions for one of my credit cards (not from TD).
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

Rysto wrote:Does anybody else download transactions from TD EasyWeb into Quicken 2016? The transaction matching feature in Quicken appears to be completely broken, meaning that I am constantly getting some transaction multiple times in my Quicken register. Cleaning this up is becoming immensely frustrating. Is anybody else having this problem?
Not for me. I only have one TD Savings account which I transact from and it has been fine pre & post upgrade.
Quicken 2016 R3 (25.1.3.9)
Canadian Edition
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

After repeated nagging when starting up Quicken 2016, I finally relented and allowed the R3 patch to be applied. Only after the update was completed did Quicken allow me to see "What's new in this update".
Quicken Canada 2016 Release 3 Release Notes (January 2017)

Improved Customer Feedback Reporting
• IMPROVED: Integrated with a new tool which allows customers to provide feedback on bank download connectivity. The new tool allows us to proactively work on fixing issues before you report them to us.
Data File password
• IMPROVED: Introducing the ability to remove forgotten password from a data file by answering security questions, without having to upload the file to a server.
Simplified Password Options
• Updated: Simplified File Password options with support for local file password or no file password.
Patching
• REVAMPED: A modern, self-service patching infrastructure which reduces download duration and reduces the frequency of patching errors.
Authentication
• REVAMPED: A new authentication service from Quicken.

Quicken Canada 2016 Release 2 Release Notes (January 2016)
General
• FIXED: Quicken Main window title bar incorrectly displays as inactive.
• FIXED: Error in calculation and posting date in some cases during reconciliation.
I've also shared this information with the Quicken Community, after all someone might actually find this useful, see Quicken Canada 2016 R3 | Quicken Customer Community.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Rysto
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rysto »

ig17 wrote:Once you disable this option, you will have to manually accept the transactions in the Downloaded Transaction window at the bottom of the registry. You can accept them all at once in one click.
I already have this option enabled. Unfortunately, it doesn't help, as the pop-up for accepting transactions is pretty freaking useless.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

When I started Quicken Canada 2016 R3 this morning it wanted to update again. :shock: According to the Check for updates function, "A newer version of Quicken 2016 (Release R3.1) is available for download". I've quickly searched Quicken 2016 for Windows Update and Mondo Patch and there is no indication of a R3.1 for Quicken Canada.

Has anyone else experienced this request to update to Quicken 2016 (Release R3.1)? Has anyone found any information on R3.1 and what it fixes?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Haven't seen that yet (just loaded it when I saw your post).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

After a couple more nags about an update being available, I decided to let Quicken update to R3.1.

At least this time the Update Information appears before I confirm that I want to update. Here are the changes and improvements listed:
Quicken 2016 wrote:Quicken Canada 2016 Release 3.1 Update

Before you update

Note: If you use Bill Pay or Online Transfers, we recommend you perform a One Step Update before installing an update.

Quicken Canada 2016 R3.1 Release Notes (February 2017)

General
  • Fixed: A minor configuration change.

AltaRed
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Re: Quicken 2016 Web Connect problem with RBC?

Post by AltaRed »

Caution: Quicken has an R7 update that allows one to use Quicken with a Mobile App....but results in YOUR data file being in the cloud to be able to sync between devices. If you do not want your data file in the cloud, do not install R7 using the default 'radio button'.
    Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
    Peculiar_Investor
    Administrator
    Administrator

AltaRed wrote: 09 Oct 2017 22:38 Caution: Quicken has an R7 update that allows one to use Quicken with a Mobile App....but results in YOUR data file being in the cloud to be able to sync between devices. If you do not want your data file in the cloud, do not install R7 using the default 'radio button'.
    I checked the release notes at Quicken 2016 for Windows Update and Mondo Patch under the Release 7 (Canada Versions, Oct 2017) heading and there is no mention of this behaviour change. Quicken says that R7 contains
    Quicken wrote:• Fixed: An issue where web connect import was not working for some Financial Institutions.

Authentication

• Fixed: A couple of issues related to Quicken ID migration.

Critical Update: Sign In and Authentication Change
    • We have replaced Intuit's login service with a new Quicken login service.
      • When you install this update you will be prompted to setup a new Quicken ID.
      • Your new Quicken ID will be used to sign in to Quicken going forward.
      • You may still use your Intuit ID for other Intuit products.
    • This is a required update. Failure to install this update and setup your Quicken ID will result in a loss of connected services.
    Vault Password Change
    • Due to our switch to a Quicken login service, we have removed the ability to protect your Password Vault with an Intuit Password. You may be required to set a new Password Vault password after installing this update. (If you already used a custom Vault password no action will be required.)
    Where did you find or read about the data file being moved into the cloud? The only thing that I could quickly find via Google is What is the Quicken Cloud? which states
    Quicken wrote:If you would like to turn off the Cloud sync from your One Step Update, simply uncheck the box next to Sync to Quicken Cloud in the One Step Update Settings screen.

AltaRed
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

It came up in the Update screen when I loaded Quicken. It was somewhat confusing but there were 2 radio buttons, with the default one being the ability to use a Quicken Mobile App on other devices. I obviously picked the other one which limits the update to your quote in your post and does not allow Sync.

Note that early in the Update screen, I also had to pick Canada at the top of the Update screen (USA was there by default) and that is when the R7 update screen was displayed. I forget exactly the sequence of events I went through, but I had to proactively pick 2 things.... Canada, and the radio button that does not Sync.
    Peculiar_Investor
    Administrator
    Administrator

Thanks. One of my annoyances with Quicken (and other applications) is the update process is launched before they provide any information on what's contained in the update and what new steps/changes such as you've outlined might be required. I initially declined the R7 update after reading your post. Now that I've gone to the Quicken Release Notes page to read about the changes and read your reply, I might be more inclined to proceed.

AltaRed
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Indeed. I am pissed off that they throw the update at you as soon as you launch Quicken. I proceeded carefully but there is quite a bit of information in the Update screen once you launch the Update. The key thing is to latch on to those 2 selections... picking Canada (the update should know that already but doesn't) and to pick the radio button that avoids Sync, etc.
    ig17
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Quicken 2016 account updates are broken for me for the second day in a row. I click the update button, get a spinning wheel for a short moment, and then nothing happens. The update dialog doesn't open. Restarting Windows didn't help.

Anyone else seeing this?
    rishitibriwal
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

I had the same issue for the past 2 days. The security price updates and online links won't work till you update to the latest version (I believe it is the R7).

I updated yesterday and works fine now - big complaint is that they seem to have changed the font and it is so small now. There is an option to 'Use Large Font' under view, but that messes up the screen completely. You have to go and disable it again to get back to what it was earlier.
    ig17
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Yes, R7 update fixed the issue. I had to register for a new Quicken ID, to replace the old Intuit ID.

I downloaded the latest Canada Mondo Patch Update (228.08MB) from here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ondo-patch

From the release notes:
    Critical Update: Sign In and Authentication Change
    • We have replaced Intuit's login service with a new Quicken login service.
      • When you install this update you will be prompted to setup a new Quicken ID.
      • Your new Quicken ID will be used to sign in to Quicken going forward.
      • You may still use your Intuit ID for other Intuit products.
    • This is a required update. Failure to install this update and setup your Quicken ID will result in a loss of connected services.
    Dejavu
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

I have been using Quicken since 1992. I have an issue now with Net Worth reports showing very incorrect data as if the data file is wacky. The program still does what I need but i am concerned that a complete failure is imminent. I am prepared to buy Quicken 2017 and manually input all current data. I do not need auto downloading from banks as I always enter data manually. I also do not need apps as I do not use a smart phone for banking.
    Over the years I have upgraded pc many times as well as software but not always legit copies.
    I worry about all the upthread issues with loading and patching etc.,
    I have used the file verification tool to no avail.
    Any advice welcome, Dejavu.
    Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it, for boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
    AltaRed
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

The patches and all that s*it above is highly annoying but I will speculate most likely a result of the imprint of the new owners of Quicken and converting to a subscription model. IOW, they want to make it their own. The best option for someone who doesn't need auto downloads is to try and get a Quicken 2016 copy that one can use offline, i.e. no phoning home for quotes, etc. but don't know if one can find it.

You don't say what version of Quicken you are now using, but as far as your current issues, the best thing would be to Restore your data from a previous backup copy that was working right. I've only ever had one file corrupted for some reason, probably my own PC glitch, and I was able to restore from a data file a few weeks previous. So if you know when your problem started, and you keep backups of your database, I'd try that.
    Dejavu
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

Thx. A.R.
    I will search for a 2016 copy.
    My version is Quicken Home & Business 2011 R1(20.1.1.43)
    I do not have data backed up other than a Seagate b/up hardrive, which is supposed to copy each time the data changes.
    I have no idea when the corruption occured as I have never used this particular report function before.
    I assume I can buy either the 2016 copy or a new 2017 copy, and would install them without bringing old data forward, just manually re-enter whats current. I would just need to be sure to give a different path for the new data file, is that correct?
    As an asside I want to thank you for all your inputs regarding the Canadain oil scene, always enjoyed reading what sounds like "inside info."
    Dejavu.
    Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it, for boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
    AltaRed
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I only mention a 2016 copy since it is not subscription based and you don't need downloading. As a second thought, it is likely your datafile that is corrupted, not the software itself, albeit there are Google links that suggest Quicken 2011 may not run on Windows 8 or later (Microsoft says it has not been tested on Windows 8 or later).

But if you want to try with your existing Quicken before giving up on it, take your existing datafiles and move it to another folder where the software cannot find it... or put it on a separate USB key temporarily. Then your Quicken 2011 wil be tricked into believing it is a new version with no datafiles yet established. Then build your new file as if it is a new one from within Quicken and see if that gives you correct Net Worth reports.

If you install a new Quicken 2016 or later version, it could want to try and convert your existing datafile to the new format. You could try and see if that will work, but I would always keep a spare copy of the Quicken 2011 datafile somewhere else if the new Quicken cannot import and convert your existing datafile. If the import and conversion of the Quicken 2011 datafile does not work properly, you can simply delete it and start from scratch. In other words, don't necessarily create a new data path for the new Quicken datafile. Move the old Quicken datafiles instead. At least that is what I do, so that the new Quicken defaults to the normal location it wants to be. It's a matter of personal choice.

P.S. I may have the benefit of some knowledge on the oil industry but just like the oil industry itself, it's often a guess that goes wrong. If I really knew where things were headed, I'd be a wealthy person from having traded O&G stocks by now. Instead, I know it's a crap shoot and I don't now own a single O&G stock beyond what is in my ex-Canada ETF holdings. The closest I come is current holdings in ALA, ENB and TRP and I don't overweight them.
    Dejavu
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

Thank you again AR for your thoughtful reply. I was unable to find a 2016 version, 2015 was offered at $155.00ca!
    I have been reading Quicken help etc., and have opened a new 2011 Quicken file in my wifes name and its coloured purple so I hope not to mix the two up. I will generate a new file starting from scratch. So far so good. I expect this to take some time.
    Both files reside in ">my doc,s > quicken," and toggling between the two appears seemless.Will report back later, Dejavu.
    Dejavu
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

Happy to report, the revamp is complete and results appear perfect. Sure I am missing all the historic data, but it wasnt dependable anyway. So fresh start it is. Took just under three days to do.Dejavu.
    AltaRed
    Veteran Contributor
    Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

:thumbsup: Good to hear.... Must have been a mind-numbing exercse, but sometimes necessary.
    bill2009
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post by bill2009 »

Is the US version of Quicken different than the Canadian version? I always assumed it was but maybe not.

I ask because I can see 2015/2016 versions on ebay.com but none in Canada.
    Peculiar_Investor
    Administrator
    Administrator

Yes they are different. The Canadian version knows how to deal with Canadian registered accounts such as RRSPs.

Google also turned up US Quicken Versus International Versions of Quicken that covers the major differences, such as online banking supported institutions.