Quicken 2016 upgrade - feedback and comments

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
bill2009
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Quicken 2016 upgrade - feedback and comments

Post by bill2009 »

so bizarrely I can't find quicken 2016 for sale now. Amazon, best buy, staples and intuit.ca all come up dry!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

bill2009 wrote:@peculiar_investor: Was/is your q13 still able to download quotes? I don't care about transactions.
I'm the opposite, I don't download quotes, only transactions. Therefore I don't know whether Quicken 2013 still has that ability.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

bill2009 wrote:so bizarrely I can't find quicken 2016 for sale now. Amazon, best buy, staples and intuit.ca all come up dry!
Quicken 2016 Canada is now exclusively sold here:
https://www.quicken.com/canada/personal ... -software/

Also go to this URL:
https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ondo-patch
scroll down to where it says "For Quicken Canada software updates click here" and click that.

Once you've downloaded the purchased software, do not launch it yet even if the installer offers to. It won't work and it's frustrating. Immediately run the patch installer instead. Then you can open Quicken again.
bill2009
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bill2009 »

Quicken 2016 Canada is now exclusively sold here:
https://www.quicken.com/canada/personal ... -software/
Thanks. 109.95 Exclusive indeed!

Certainly seems like an uncontested market niche but maybe it's things like Mint that will fill it.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

bill2009 wrote: Thanks. 109.95 Exclusive indeed!

Certainly seems like an uncontested market niche but maybe it's things like Mint that will fill it.
Is Mint well-suited to Canadians and their investments these days?
investfwf1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by investfwf1 »

queerasmoi wrote:
bill2009 wrote: Thanks. 109.95 Exclusive indeed!

Is Mint well-suited to Canadians and their investments these days?

Hi, I can't comment on Mint, but if your question is in regards to managing your investments, Canadian-friendly, handles US + CAD easily, import/export CSV files for dividends, accounts at different institutions, etc, then... I found a software called "Fund Manager" about a year ago, and I like it very much. It's quite flexible, pre-built graphs, reports, user-definable fields. I used it on trial for a while then happily paid for it. Mature product, and updated often. (http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

It appears to be a US based product given its discussion of FIFO, etc. If so, it won't recognize RRSPs and TFSAs, use CAD as a base currency, export to Cdn based software, etc. I don't think a product like that should not be recommended without the proper caveats.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
investfwf1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by investfwf1 »

AltaRed wrote:It appears to be a US based product given its discussion of FIFO, etc. If so, it won't recognize RRSPs and TFSAs, use CAD as a base currency, export to Cdn based software, etc. I don't think a product like that should not be recommended without the proper caveats.
I find it caters very much to a Canadian investor. My base currency is CAD, there is auto-lookup and conversion for USD investments, there's a "non-taxable" designation for RRSP+TFSA accounts, etc. I'm with RBC DI, I export my Dividends from there and import to Fund Manager. I'm finding it very flexible, documentation is terrific, and online forum very helpful. (I don't have a stake in the developer's company, but after looking and trying several products a year ago or so, I'm quite happy with it.)
Webber22
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Webber22 »

There were people having problems downloading quotes etc for Quicken Canadian versions 2014 to 2016.
These instructions were taken from a thread:

If you need to update your software to install all the available (and required) bug fixes ...
- "2014 ... Release R9", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ondo-patch
- "2015 ... Release R11", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ondo-patch
- "2016 ... Release R8(or higher)", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ondo-patch

Locate the Mondo Patch file applicable to your version of Quicken in the link above.
Download it and save it to disk.
Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next step: Install (run) the downloaded patch file.
This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during installation as a cause of this issue.

Note to Quicken Canada users: Do not download the patch or Mondo Patch files in the above links. They apply to Quicken US users only. Instead, scroll down the webpage to the Quicken Canada section and download that file.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

A note to Quicken 2016 users. I came across a bug that didn't exist in Q2013, the version I upgraded from.

Bug summary:

Investment Transactions report doesn't show the amounts transferred between investment and banking accounts.

How to reproduce:

1. Open the report: Reports menu --> Investing --> Investment Transactions
2. Select a date range where you know you made some cash transfers between investment and banking accounts.
3. Find these transfers in the report. Note the bug: Cash column is empty.

Another way to reproduce:

1. Open the report: Reports menu --> Investing --> Investment Transactions
2. Click the gear wheel to customize the report.
3. Switch to Actions tab.
4. Click 'Clear All' button to deselect all actions.
5. Select two actions: XIn and XOut.
6. Click OK.
7. Compare the two types of transfers: investment/investment vs. investment/banking. The former are reported properly. The latter are missing the values in the Cash column.

A similar bug exists in the Banking Transactions report: Reports menu --> Banking --> Transaction.

I care about this bug because I use Investment Transactions report to calculate my net monthly contributions (i.e. portfolio inflows minus outflows). I transfer the monthly totals to a spreadsheet where I track my portfolio XIRR. It used to be a straightforward process in Quicken 2013. Now, because of this bug, I have to jump through a few extra hoops to extract the numbers I need.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Correction: It works fine for me.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

AltaRed wrote:Correction: It works fine for me.
Interesting. I wonder if we have the same patches installed.

Help menu --> About Quicken

Mine says:

Home & Business 2016
Release R 2 ( 25.1.2.8 )
Canadian Edition

Could you do me a favour and post your version?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Exactly the same release as yours. Maybe it is a glitch in where you initiate the transaction? I always initiate from my Investment Account as either "Cash Transferred Into Account" or "Cash Transferred out of Account". I do not initiate the entry from my banking accounts.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

AltaRed wrote:Exactly the same release as yours. Maybe it is a glitch in where you initiate the transaction? I always initiate from my Investment Account as either "Cash Transferred Into Account" or "Cash Transferred out of Account". I do not initiate the entry from my banking accounts.
I doubt it. I don't follow a consistent procedure (i.e. I initiate from both sides) but the bug is very consistent.

What was your prior version? I upgraded from Quicken 2013. I wonder if it could be the difference.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I upgraded from Q2013 as well, but all of 2016 was under Q2016, i.e. I upgraded in Dec 2015. Maybe that was the difference but I cannot imagine why so.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

AltaRed wrote:I upgraded from Q2013 as well, but all of 2016 was under Q2016, i.e. I upgraded in Dec 2015. Maybe that was the difference but I cannot imagine why so.
Did you carry over your old Q2013 file or did you start a new one? (grasping at straws here)

I upgraded around May-June and I carried over my old file. I see the same bug when I report on prior years, so the entry date doesn't make any difference.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I carried over the Q13 files as I do with every 3 year upgrade in recent times. Hard to understand how exactly the same process could have different results.

Do your reports under Banking for Banking Summary, and Banking Cash Flow by Tag not include transfers to/from Investment Accounts? Mine do.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

AltaRed wrote:Do your reports under Banking for Banking Summary, and Banking Cash Flow by Tag not include transfers to/from Investment Accounts? Mine do.
Yes they do. I never used those reports before. I just played with Cash Flow by Tag and I was able to generate the right monthly total that matches the number I expect.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Reports --> Banking --> Cash Flow by Tag
2. Date range: Monthly - Nov 16
3. Click the gear wheel to Customize
4. Accounts tab
5. All Accounts - Clear All
6. Investing Accounts - Select All

Steps 5 and 6 narrow down the report to investment cash flows.

7. Click OK to generate the customized report.
8. Note all categories that represent internal portfolio flows: _DivInc, _IntInc, _RlzdGain, etc.
9. Go back to Customize
10. Categories tab
11. Exclude all categories noted in step 8.
12. Click OK.

Voila! The overall total is the net monthly contribution that I expected to see. I previously generated it through a different process that required export to Excel.

AltaRed, thank you for your help!!
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Sigh. Cash Flow by Tag is buggy too.

I'm looking at a month where I gambitted a large amount from CAD account to USD account.

Cash Flow by Tag shows:

Inflow FROM CAD account TO USD account in CAD
A matching outflow TO USD account FROM CAD account in USD

Overall Total nets the two nominal values (expressed in two different currencies!) without applying the currency conversion. I end up looking at a large monthly inflow where none took place. Unbelievable.

... and that's why I keep maintaining a XIRR spreadsheet even though I have all my records in Quicken.
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

For people moving from Quicken to another product, did you try to import your data or did you just start over?

I started with Q1995 I think, and thus have never downloaded entries (after trying once or twice) because I like the control I have over manually entering transactions and splitting spending into detailed categories.

For spending, I seldom look up things and never more than a few years past so giving up past transactions wouldn't be a big deal.

For investments, I wouldn't trust my data going into new software even though I reconcile on a regular basis with my investment accounts. I've entered transactions and it balances but I'm not sure I've been consistently tracking things correctly (like ROI on REITS.) I'm a hands-off investor so don't need real-time numbers.

I'd simply keep using this version of Q but I hate it - the changes to user interface and the bugs that were introduced mean that I avoid using it (and have fallen behind on data entry as a result.) At some point (2012?) I upgraded due to change in hardware and my old version wouldn't install.

I'm not using 90% of the 'features' so I wonder if I should just move to a spreadsheet for my investment details, and use a basic budgeting software for my spending/budget.

As someone said up-thread, inertia is what has kept me Quicken in my last couple of 'upgrades'. Now that the product is dying, I feel this might be the time to jump.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Quicken Inc. is really trying to test my patience in 2017. Apparently there is an update for Quicken 2016, R3 that has just been released.

Call me a bit frustrated, but I wanted to find out some details about Quicken 2016 R3 (Canada) so I went to Quicken 2016 for Windows Release Notes, Updates, and Mondo Patch and the US version release history is dutifully listed with release notes for each release.

Quicken Canada gets:
Quicken 2016 webpage wrote: To download the Quicken Canada manual update, click here
The only way to tell that here refers to R3 is to hover over the link. No release notes, no nothing.

Come on Quicken, treat your Canadian users with a bit more respect and give us the same level of detail about the release history as your US customers.

More at Quicken's community in Quicken Canada 2016 Release 3
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

There are Release 3 notes when you load Quicken 2016 and click on the 'details' of the release.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

I don't see that anywhere. Is that before or after Quicken has updated itself? When I start Quicken 2016, I see qwpatch.exe attempts to run and I answer NO.

I'm not willing to apply any Quicken updates at this time until I know their details of what's included in R3.

AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:I don't see that anywhere. Is that before or after Quicken has updated itself? When I start Quicken 2016, I see qwpatch.exe attempts to run and I answer NO.

I'm not willing to apply any Quicken updates at this time until I know their details of what's included in R3.
It is before the update is even downloaded (there is an update button to click to download), but I don't consistently see that message.

Edit: Got it
2017-02-10.png
Edit 2: The last part of the Release notes
2017-02-10 (1).png
Rysto
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rysto »

Does anybody else download transactions from TD EasyWeb into Quicken 2016? The transaction matching feature in Quicken appears to be completely broken, meaning that I am constantly getting some transaction multiple times in my Quicken register. Cleaning this up is becoming immensely frustrating. Is anybody else having this problem?