Effect of Pets on Budgets

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Effect of Pets on Budgets

Post by kcowan »

kcowan wrote:We have had a cat for 17 years. There was one bout with the vet that cost $3k when he was 5. But aside from that, it is just cat food and litter. It is included in our food budget. Huge bags of clumping litter wherever it is on sale. Mixture of dry and wet food for variety. A small can a day of wet and a bag of dry every month. But we have been lucky. (Friends have spent over $12000 on their cat on medical and special diet.)
The 18 year old cat crossed The Rainbow Bridge today. Two weeks ago he could jump onto our mantel, but 2 days ago all hell broke loose. The vet administered some drugs that helped but then the results of the blood screening came in and he had from days to weeks to live. He also could not walk. And he was in serious pain. Severe anemia and getting worse. Stage four kidney disease. He was a fighter to the end!

RIP Boots!
For the fun of it...Keith
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Jake, Bichon-Shi Tzu, 15 1/2, will probably not get through this summer.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
iluvnascar
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by iluvnascar »

I'm a CAT person all the way. I'm not crazy about dogs in the first place - especially bigger dogs. But dogs require work whereas cats are far more independent....although most offer as much, if not more, company!

Re costs - average cost for past 4 years - including "special" litter AND food - is $532. That excludes the cost of things needed to clean up puke!
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by poedin »

kcowan
RIP Boots!
My condolences. :(
Stan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stan »

Sorry to hear about your pet.

We have a dog and a cat. Great company for each other.

Solved most of the expense of having pets. Married a Vet!

Cheers

Stan :)
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Keith, my condolences on your loss. Pip turns 12 next month and will thus enter the final quarter of her life. Her behaviour has slowed markedly over the past year. The vet says she has a lot of hip deterioration, a heart murmur and the start of cataracts -- all consistent with her age. The vet suggested a big increase in the amount of chondroitin she gets. It's been very interesting. Since the change she's more lively and running both longer and faster. I normally cry "placebo effect" when a human claims that a supplement has quickly made a huge difference but dogs -- even an otherwise intelligent border collie -- are immune to the placebo effect.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Yes Boots was a cheap cat. He had one vet visit when he was 2 for a if art tract infection. Otherwise just food and litter.

The vet said he was amazing given his condition at the end.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Jake, Bichon-Shi Tzu, crossed the Rainbow Bridge today at 15 years and 8 months. He had suffered from numerous ailments, including arthritis, a pulled carpus on his left front leg, a sore below his anus that kept leaking blood, a nose that was disintegrating likely because of autoimmune problems, and approaching blindness from cataracts. Retrospectively, he probably had Cushing's Disease. He had recently been drinking frantically as kidney failure set in, and after being Really Good Dog, now had urinary incontinence. When he started vomiting yesterday - another sign of kidney failure - I thought his time had arrived, as he was clearly miserable sometimes (particularly when hot) and only cheerful on cool days.

Jake was well trained by his original owner, but with his friend Buddy, who died a bit less than two years ago, had to be turned in to the Humane Society when the owner's wife fell ill. From there he and Buddy were adopted by a well-known Lethbridge lady who's dog had died. When that lady's health worsened, I adopted Jake and Buddy in a private placement.

Jake will be missed.

RIP.
IMG_0624 (Small).JPG
Jake and Buddy the day I adopted them, almost 3 years ago. Jake is tan and Buddy is white. At the time of his death Jake (on the left) had only 1/2 a working nostril as the right nostril was plugged from some type of autoimmune nose crusting/disintegration.

During his time with me, Jake needed an operation on each back leg for a torn ACL, another operation for bladder stone removal, pills to control an ear infection, and injections and supplements for arthritis. He was, nevertheless, a Good Dog, and a much-loved member of the family.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Inquisitive
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inquisitive »

During his time with me, Jake needed an operation on each back leg for a torn ACL, another operation for bladder stone removal, pills to control an ear infection, and injections and supplements for arthritis. He was, nevertheless, a Good Dog, and a much-loved member of the family.
He was also a Really Lucky Dog. It takes a kind heart to make a space for two such animals. But I expect you would say you are the lucky one.

Are you now dogless?

Keith, I had missed the death of your cat. My sympathy to you both.

My dog's first person died and the second because very ill. I am determined to hang in long enough that she doesn't have to find a 4th person.

Inq
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

My sympathy Shakes. I am sure it was for the best.

Thanks Inq. We have been spared the full impact being away in Europe. The sense of emptiness will hit us in a week when our little buddy no longer greets us and watches over us. :(
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Are you now dogless?
No.

Meet Ace, Destroyer of Dog Toys.
IMG_0652 (Small).JPG
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

My two just destroy voles... :)
suzy
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

Sorry for your losses, Shake and Keith. We always wanted to adopt a dog, but have been putting off due to travels and other matters. We never wanted a cat, but were forced to have one about 3 years ago; our son adopted a kitten from the street while he was a student and passed Maowi to us when the kitten grew bigger, as his space is too small. That was the best thing happened to us. Maowi is a dog in a cat suit and the most logical and stoic member of the family. He can sense our needs, is always there when needed. He is also the lowest maintenance member in the family, under $50/m. Only expensive thing for him is a wi-fi controlled petsmart feeder, an IoT device that auto feeds him, for his diet control.

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

freedom_2008 wrote:Only expensive thing for him is a wi-fi controlled petsmart feeder, an IoT device that auto feeds him, for his diet control.
Both our cats considered us the source of food. Food left in the dish was not for them. Luck for you that your cat has been trained differently.
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

kcowan wrote:
freedom_2008 wrote:Only expensive thing for him is a wi-fi controlled petsmart feeder, an IoT device that auto feeds him, for his diet control.
Both our cats considered us the source of food. Food left in the dish was not for them. Luck for you that your cat has been trained differently.
Keith,

We never really trained Maowi. We always had food in his own dish before the vet told us he was overweight. We then gave him less , he did start coming to us for food and it was bothersome even with his nice and polite nature, thus this new feeder device controlled by an app. Now he goes to the feeder 5 min before and waits patiently, after being told a couple times that the machine is the boss now. Note he is not a fool, but do want to please people he loves, and was born this way. He even used the real toilet instead of a litter box when he was with our son.

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Cats are a joy to experience. Our 2 were litter mates but from different fathers. One was a traditional cat? while the other was a perpetual puppy. He is the one we just lost. And he filled in for his brother who left 18 months ago.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Both our cats considered us the source of food. Food left in the dish was not for them.
That seems to be the normal catechism. Zoe feels the same way.
Zoestare.JPG
Zoestare.JPG (14.66 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Two nights ago, about 3 AM, the cat brings in a mouse. Yes, our cat goes outside, catches a mouse and brings it to us. He was very proud of himself; meowing loudly enough to wake us up. The mouse was very much alive and found somewhere to hide where neither cat nor human could get it. We have a "have-a-heart" live trap which works very well. Last night, I bait the trap and go to bed. About 2 AM, the traps snaps shut; we have the mouse! Then the cat tries to get the mouse out of the trap by pushing and shoving the trap all over the room creating a hell of a racket. DW got out of bed and released the mouse on the front lawn and it's probably still running.

So add loss of sleep and mouse trap to cost of cat. :x
Inquisitive
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inquisitive »

Insomniac, the tears in my eyes are from laughter. Thanks.

Lucky mouse.

Inq
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Inquisitive wrote:Insomniac, the tears in my eyes are from laughter. Thanks.

Lucky mouse.

Inq
Thanks for reading it.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Inquisitive wrote:Lucky mouse.
and a pacifist, well-fed cat! :rofl:
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Related.

This is how much it really costs to own a dog per year
Friday is National Dog Day, celebrating man's best friend and encouraging people to adopt. With that in mind, it might be helpful to know that the first year of dog ownership will cost anywhere from $1,314 for smaller dogs up to $1,843 for the largest breeds, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. That includes one-time expenses such as spaying, neutering, training, initial medical fees and a crate.

After the first year, ASPCA figures a dog's annual cost at anywhere from $580 for smaller dogs to $875 for big breeds, which gobble more food. Meanwhile, Rover.com, a Seattle-based pet-sitting website, figures the yearly average at $2,858 factoring in pet sitting ($25 per night), dog training ($40 per hour), teeth cleaning (at least $400) and emergency vet bills (from zero to more than $3,000).
daryls
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by daryls »

Most of the time, larger dogs do not live as long and will require a higher level of medical intervention as they get older.
However, consider other non-medical expenses too - certain dogs shed more, cat excrement is more invasive to the senses and, from my experience, harder to clean than a dog's (sorry for the visual!), and some dogs require more intensive training.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Our friends have a 12 year-old cat. He started to get sick and the vet supplied good service and medication and the cat got better temporarily. One thing lead to another and now they have $12,000 sunk into keeping the cat well. The vet struck it rich on this one...
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Tis not the time of year for puppies, good thing wife hasn't seen any puppies yet.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed