Best Credit Card (2016-2021)

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
jagg
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card (2016-2017)

Post by jagg »

We cancelled a September walking trip in Scotland trip when I injured my quad tendon in July. The Scottish Walking Tour Company refunded my money 100% (in pounds) even though we were past the deadline. Air Canada kept a fair amount as cancellation fee ($300 each). TD Aeroplan VISA paid the non-refundable part of the Air Canada tickets because we paid for the tickets with their credit card. They even paid the loss on exchange between time we paid the Scottish company and the smaller credit refund (pound had increased to CAD). We were happy.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best Credit Card (2016-2018)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

A number of posts have been split into a dedicated topic, Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program. because
Chase website wrote:As of March 15, 2018, Chase will be closing all Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card accounts.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

Post by AltaRed »

Think we need to get used to fewer offerings and lower rewards. Merchants are fighting back on exorbitant merchant fees and the likes of Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, etc., i.e. fintechs, are becoming highly viable alternatives.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

Not getting ripped off on exchange rates seemed reasonable though, not an excessive perk that's expensive to merchants (although Chase might have tried to make up for it through higher merchant fees, of course).

I currently have Amazon Visa, PCF MC, and Amex platinum, all of which were very obvious for my usage. I am replacing Amex platinum with Amex cobalt, but haven't gotten around to figuring out the annoying difference in MR points between the two. I'll lose the Amazon visa. I have a euro debit card with essentially no forex fees in Europe. I think I'll consider getting a CIBC USD card again for the US and for Paypal, my most common use of USD for smallish international purchases. I also have a corporate Visa card again after years of not bothering.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Some of this discussion, including my previous post, should be in the Best Credit Card thread to avoid contaminating the Chase discussion here. My fault... :(

Moved 3 posts by Moderator

Added later: I have stopped shopping around for credit cards just like I've stopped shopping around online banks for best interest rates. I will simply stick with what I have now... more than enough for my use. I have a Wells Fargo Platinum Visa which works for all my USD purchases. I don't go elsewhere in the world enough for forex to matter.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

peter wrote: 13 Jan 2018 13:51I am replacing Amex platinum with Amex cobalt, but haven't gotten around to figuring out the annoying difference in MR points between the two.
AFAIK the main(only?) difference is you can’t transfer to airline miles. They have to stay separate from MR First for that reason.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Ultimately the 'best credit card' will depend on the circumstances, requirements and usage patterns of the card holder(s). I don't believe we will ever get back to the one-size fits all credit card. That one has long ago left the barn. The marketing wizards at the financial institutions are always cooking up a new and improved 'best credit card'.

Some people want cash back as their benefit, some want low-cost or no-cost foreign exchange, some want travel benefits, etc. As is the case for more financial transaction, I would suggest the goal is to be the informed end user who has done their research and selects card(s) that meet their needs and wants, at the lowest possible cost.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

gsp_ wrote: 13 Jan 2018 14:06
peter wrote: 13 Jan 2018 13:51I am replacing Amex platinum with Amex cobalt, but haven't gotten around to figuring out the annoying difference in MR points between the two.
AFAIK the main(only?) difference is you can’t transfer to airline miles. They have to stay separate from MR First for that reason.
The staying separate is the annoying thing though. Normally when you changed/added an Amex card your MR account transferred/was pooled. I want to cancel my platinum card but am not sure that having a cobalt card maintains the points in my MR account (almost 300,000, more valuable to transfer to airlines than to use against charges on the card). I may have to look into getting a gold card until I use up those points.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I can do all the calculations I want at some websites to find the best credit card, but I've got this feeling that's there's something missing in the calculations given. I'm inept when it comes to math, but it's probably something to do with the time value of money. In other words, how long it takes for someone to collect their cc rewards may be a factor as to which is the best credit card for an individual.
milton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milton »

Effective May 23, 2018, the following changes will be applicable to your RogersTM Platinum Mastercard®:

Earn 3% unlimited cash back rewards on all your eligible purchases made in a foreign currency (previously 4%)1
Earn 2% unlimited cash back rewards on RogersTM products and services charged to your card including your Rogers, FidoTM or chatrTM monthly bill (previously 1.75%)1
Earn 1.25% unlimited cash back rewards on all other eligible purchases (previously 1.75%)1
You will retain the full value of your cash back rewards balance earned prior to May 23, 2018.

:(
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Also no monthly fee for non-Rogers clients. And the Fido card will now be identical to the Rogers card:
https://rogersbank.com/en/notification
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

Also... With the notice of change many people have received an email invitation to "upgrade" to the Mastercard World Elite card. You can also call and request an upgrade. Cards to be sent by June 15th, 2018.
The Rogers World Elite Mastercard gives you access to our highest rate of cash back rewards, everywhere you shop - with no caps or hidden fees. Plus, there's no Annual Fee!
• Earn 4% unlimited cash back on all your purchases made in a foreign currency1
• Earn 2% unlimited cash back rewards on Rogers products and services including your Rogers, Fido or chatr monthly bill1
• Earn 1.75% unlimited cash back on all other purchases1
• Enjoy insurance benefits3 at no extra cost, including: Extended Warranty and Purchase Protection, Rental Car Collision/Damage, Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country Emergency Medical, Trip Interruption and Trip Cancellation
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Not sure if anyone has seen or looked into this yet, applications are slow do to volume 4-6 weeks.*

http://go.hometrust.ca/preferred-visa-ca

Introducing the Home Trust Preferred Visa* with 1% CashBack
• No annual fee

• 1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards

• No restrictions on where you earn your rewards1

• Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge

• No foreign currency conversion surcharges2

It doesn't stop there.
The benefits of a Home Trust Preferred Visa include a range of other features that add great value all year round - whether you're shopping, travelling or looking for special offers.

• Purchase Security Insurance, so you can shop with peace of mind3

• Visa Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance4

• Emergency card and cash replacement

• Guaranteed hotel reservations

• The Visa Zero Liability Policy for protection against fraud5

• Verified by Visa for enhanced online shopping safety and security

*seen on http://www.yvrdeals.com/the-amazon-visa ... ce-it-with
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

It is referred to here http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 5&t=120947 and I think in Cedeebee's Apr 13 2017 post in this thread here http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 79#p594779
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

oops me bad :oops: moderater remove if desired
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
johnsmith1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnsmith1 »

If your investable assets reach 1mm, hsbc jade mastercard is a great card. You get paid 200$ to have the card.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

johnsmith1 wrote: 10 Apr 2018 11:54 If your investable assets reach 1mm, hsbc jade mastercard is a great card. You get paid 200$ to have the card.
Just because you get $200? Or are there other attributes that make it great?
johnsmith1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnsmith1 »

no fx charges
31 days travel insurance coverage, including baggage, trip, car rental insurance
unlimited access with one guest to airport lounges by lounge key
1.5% on purchases , 3% travel purchase converted to cash or 4 airlines miles program
etc

metal card

AltaRed wrote: 10 Apr 2018 12:25
johnsmith1 wrote: 10 Apr 2018 11:54 If your investable assets reach 1mm, hsbc jade mastercard is a great card. You get paid 200$ to have the card.
Just because you get $200? Or are there other attributes that make it great?
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

You need to have a million with HSBC, not a million investable assets in general.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by par4 »

:D I have just switched from Scotia Momentum Visa to TD cash back Visa . For the first 3 mos. I receive 9% cash back on Groceries thereafter it is 3% also on Gas and reoccurring payments. My main reason for change was that it includes Auto Club which I had before (it was excellent) and saved me the price of the card as I did not have to pay my CA membership. An added bonus for me is that I am now covered for the first 4 days of travel insurance if you are over 65 - 10 days if under 65. This you can add to for longer trips. I think it is a good deal. :D
8Toretirement
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 8Toretirement »

We use the RBC WestJet World Elite MasterCard. It works best if you prefer WestJet and travel.
Advantage: 1.5% back on purchases, 2% on WestJet flights and vacations. No limit, higher you go the more benefits you get.
Benefits are WestJet dollars, unlike points, these dollars are used same as cash and can be applied to seat sales for additional savings.
Each person up to a party of 8 gets 1 checked luggage free
1 companion flight $99 + tax within Canada and continental US. $199 Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, and Hawaii. 299 to Scotland/London/Ireland. Cheap flights can be had from London to the rest of Europe.
The usual insurance features for a travel card
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

8Toretirement wrote: 13 Apr 2018 15:36 We use the RBC WestJet World Elite MasterCard. It works best if you prefer WestJet and travel...
Plus it has an Annual Fee: $119, Additional Card: $59 so we start $178 in the hole but we net about $450 on our companion flight to Mexico and then everything is gravy.
For the fun of it...Keith
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I guess I was lucky enough to apply for the Scotiabank Gold American Express card back in late October when they were offering a bonus of 30,000 points. Only half that being offered now. Since then, not including checked baggage and seat selection, enough points gathered that my wife gets a free flight clear across Canada and return for free. :D As for myself, I still have to pay. :twisted:

I'm not a card churner, but I don't know if I'll continue with the card after next year. I guess it will depend on how many points we can get on it, versus the annual $99 fee that will kick in then.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

8Toretirement wrote: 13 Apr 2018 15:36 We use the RBC WestJet World Elite MasterCard. It works best if you prefer WestJet and travel.
Advantage: 1.5% back on purchases, 2% on WestJet flights and vacations. No limit, higher you go the more benefits you get.
Benefits are WestJet dollars, unlike points, these dollars are used same as cash and can be applied to seat sales for additional savings.
Each person up to a party of 8 gets 1 checked luggage free
1 companion flight $99 + tax within Canada and continental US. $199 Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, and Hawaii. 299 to Scotland/London/Ireland. Cheap flights can be had from London to the rest of Europe.
The usual insurance features for a travel card
This card has served me well. The good deals on cards are getting slimmer and slimmer. It pretty well pays for one trip for me and my spouse per year.
KFried
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KFried »

Hi there,

Any reason to use Home Trust's Preferred versus VISA Classic International EUR issued by ING Europe for purchases in EUR, made in Europe ?

thanks