High interest rates for savings, GICs and MMFs (2016)

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: High interest rates for savings, GICs and MMFs (2016)

Post by AltaRed »

Will be moving my money out of PCF tomorrow (or Thursday) and back to Zag since PCF wouldn't offer me more than 1.5% to continue to end of March. I know PCF seems to be dropping their old way of promotions but one never knows for sure and better safe moving the balance before month end just in case they change their minds.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
good4u
Contributor
Contributor

Post by good4u »

schmuck wrote:
CROCKD wrote:Just called Tangerine (previous offer expired yesterday) and was given a new offer of 2% for 90 days.
Interesting!
Called Tang Dec 19, when the 2% rate expired in 3 accounts (my own, wife, and joint). Waited about 15 minutes to speak with a supervisor, and was told that the best they could do for all savings accounts was 1.6%. Promptly withdrew $100k and passed the phone over to wife with same instructions. Called back 2 more times for additional withdrawals and transferred the funds into our Zag accounts with the intention of switching back to Tang in case they come up with a more generous new promo. Feel a bit guilty for stooping to their level, but will certainly call Tang again after the holidays for more withdrawals if they can't come up with a better deal.
Is there a reason you are not transferring to EQ currently at 2%? Just curious.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

schmuck: I was on hold about 15 minutes instead of opting for a call back. Based on what has been reported here and elsewhere I was prepared for the usual hassle. I was going to move the money over to ZAG even if they offered me the same rate as ZAG. They asked me if I had another offer elsewhere and I mentioned EQ bank. Of course I did not mention that I have a large amount at EQ already so really do not have the room.
I think there is a lot of randomness to the way they are operating. As Deadog reported 10 days ago he got the same treatment as you for a large amount. Maybe they realized that by taking a hard line there are a lot of large depositors bailing. Like a lot of people I have been a client of their forerunners ING since the 90's
NorthernRaven has offered what he considers a logical basis for their behaviour but I don't buy it!
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

good4u wrote: Is there a reason you are not transferring to EQ currently at 2%? Just curious.
Already max'd out at EQ
Mordko
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Mordko »

AltaRed wrote:Will be moving my money out of PCF tomorrow (or Thursday) and back to Zag since PCF wouldn't offer me more than 1.5% to continue to end of March. I know PCF seems to be dropping their old way of promotions but one never knows for sure and better safe moving the balance before month end just in case they change their minds.
Why Zag? Why not something like Alterna?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Mordko wrote:Why Zag? Why not something like Alterna?
If you had been reading upthread, you would find that I no longer chase rates by opening new accounts. I originally was with PCF and then chased to PT, and then to CDF and then to Zag. Once I realized the game was simply to offer promtional rates to attract deposits...and then to quickly lower rates, I quit that game. Besides, I do not want my eventual POA and/or Executor to hate me too much. I have some empathy for people in those positions, having been there myself. IOW, be kind to those you eventually unload your affairs too.

I will keep my PCF, CDF and Zag accounts for now but will close PT. They haven't been competitive for some time and my current balance is $0.00 with them. I will watch CDF and Zag throughout 2017 and then make a decision which one of those I also close. I do not keep enough cash around to need to be anywhere but in one HISA account anyway.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

but will close PT. They haven't been competitive for some time
I find Peoples competitive but right now the best seems to be Oaken. I don't keep these around just for HISA but mainly for multiple GIC deposits.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
but will close PT. They haven't been competitive for some time
I find Peoples competitive but right now the best seems to be Oaken. I don't keep these around just for HISA but mainly for multiple GIC deposits.
Even more of a headache for a POA or Executor, :wink: but to each his/her own.
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

Anyone come across THIS variation on a cashable GIC?
Seems too good to be true so it probably is!The ingenuity is intriguing though!
https://www.happysavings.ca/1-year-term.aspx
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I have seen those before from a number of institutions....but usually based on a 5 year "stepped up" GIC where the GIC is cashable on any given anniversary but only earns interested in the various steps that apply for the period held. At least some of the major banks offer these from time to time along with a few second tier banks (e.g. Manulife Bank I think).

The difference here is that it is based on quarters, rather than years... so is a short term vehicle. I don't believe it is 'too good to be true' but the rates are attractive.

Added: As a side comment, these kinds of GICs may not be transferrable to a discount brokerage. I remember when my mother had a few of those with Royal Bank and when we tried to move them to RBC Direct Investing, RBC DI wouldn't accept them. An administrative nightmare I suppose.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Step-ups were fashionable some years ago. I think James trashed them somewhere in Prefblog.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

I have 2 GICs with Hubert (Happy) and consider them short term 3 month vehicles. So far I have collected interest on the first two quarters and am into my 3rd quarter. You can terminate them at the end of any quarter.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
2of3aintbad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 2of3aintbad »

CROCKD wrote:I have 2 GICs with Hubert (Happy) and consider them short term 3 month vehicles. So far I have collected interest on the first two quarters and am into my 3rd quarter. You can terminate them at the end of any quarter.
Actually, you can terminate them any time, but get paid interest only to the last quarter. This is a somewhat unique vehicle, and I think the optimum strategy is to make 3 investments, in 3 consecutive months, so every month you can cash in (if necessary) with minimal interest loss.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Got a birthday card from Oaken yesterday with a Mcdonalds gift card worth $5.00, huh!
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Got a birthday card from Oaken yesterday with a Mcdonalds gift card worth $5.00, huh!
Sh-sh! You're not supposed to tell anyone else :lol:
You are a special customer obviously
:wink:
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."