RBC Online banking getting a makeover

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

RBC Online banking getting a makeover

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Noticed when I went to access RBC's online banking that they indicate "Coming Soon: Changes to Online Banking design". The details,, at least what they've divulged so far, can be found at See what's changing. According to the information they presented it is "Same Functionality. But Better." I guess time and customers will make the determination. No indication other than "Coming soon" as to when to expect the changeover.

Given the changes indicated in the login screen, I thought it would be helpful for people to have a heads up so they're not surprised (or suspicious) when the changes actually occur.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RBC Online banking getting a makeover

As Shakespeare has noted here, as well as RBC Direct Investing, the RBC online banking page has a new look as of today. The iOS app was updated about a week ago.

Added: Seems to only apply to Personal banking at this time. When I 'Go to Business Accounts' I get the old interface.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
madmoney
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by madmoney »

Landing page once you've logged in has changed, and it is more mobile friendly. The old one you needed to zoom lots, not as much now, even on a phone.

All of the next step pages, payments etc, take you to the old pages now, I would imagine it's stage 2.

I preferred the old page by a bit, but it doesn't make much of a difference for me so far.
Knowsitall
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Knowsitall »

I agree as I see no changes of an value or effiency.

It will take a few days to become comfortable with but compared to marriage that is the blink of an eye.
barrister
Contributor
Contributor

Direct Investing

Post by barrister »

Very surprised that the new summary opening page does not provide the old market snapshot. On opening, the first thing that I am looking for is a market overview showing me the "big picture." Instead, the space is filled with "practice account" info and "using points to pay fees."
Useless fluff! Has RBC adopted a "shopping channel" approach to their website as opposed to a professional and useful site for investors?
In fairness, I have been very happy with DI to date but this is very disappointing.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

For the most part I also don't like the changes to the RBCDI site.

* Generally it's now as sluggish as the old TDDI WebBroker ... this is inevitable progress though.

* The old login page let you choose from a variety of options to jump to upon logging in (though it would have been nice if the choice was sticky). Now that's gone and you get 2 choices. I find that if I move off the default choice, the login becomes flaky with an empty window popping up.

* Pages now have extraneous information on them. For example if you go to look up Activity, the page starts with your total portfolio values in C$ and U$ and you have to scroll down past that to get to the real activity. Maybe they want people to become obsessed with the everyday movements of their portfolio value so they can take commissioned action to do something about it? :roll:

* Old bugs like having to re-select the account when modifying an order have not been fixed.

Ah, well ...
farco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by farco »

Has RBC adopted a "shopping channel" approach to their website as opposed to a professional and useful site for investors?
In fairness, I have been very happy with DI to date but this is very disappointing.
I can only but answer in the positive, it suffice to see the useless tiles with the pictures where they show only glass paper style happy consumers, the same bland kind that you could see on a shopmart website.
I Ad Blocked all of these insulting pictures in relation of an investing platform :roll:

The old interface was far more efficient, if not perfect. Now it is at the image of our societies; slow, fake and sluggish.
zeno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zeno »

I think the general consensus is that RBC wasted a ton of money redoing the website for RBC direct. There seems to be little understanding of how users actually interact with the site, plenty of useless screens and bloated menus, and vast portions of the site that nobody uses. If they took a cursory look at their site analytics they'd understand what are the most frequently used tasks and prioritize them.
This is the second time RBC have invested in expanding or renovating their site to little purpose. The last time was when they added the Community section, which is a wasteland of ignorance and platitudes.

If a product manager for RBC DI happens to be lurking here and is wondering how you can add value and attract new customers to a discount brokerage, try the following:

1. Canadian to USD currency exchange at or near the interbank rate. Experienced investors are going to Norbert anyway. Save us the hassle and make it easier for newcomers by eliminating this hidden fee.
2. Stop gouging us on bond spreads. Spreads are about 3% - more than the yield on any reasonable duration bonds. By continuing the archaic bond pricing methods you are dis-incentivizing fixed income - and encouraging poor asset allocation.
3. Give us an ETF rebalancing holiday - just one month a year when we can buy and sell ETFs we already own to rebalance.

Sure all of these will cost you (RBC) some money, but save some money by not throwing away cash on counterproductive website revamps.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

New RBC Online Banking sign-in page

An old topic I know but just in case people see a different login screen it is because New Online Banking Sign-In Page Now Available. I had seen previous mentions (and thought I might have previously posted about it) but was caught a bit off-guard this morning with the new look.

I'm always very wary when the look of the login screen of a financial institution changes and seek confirmation before supplying my login credentials.

Marcus Aurelius
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: New RBC Online Banking sign-in page

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 14 Jan 2022 11:03 An old topic I know but just in case people see a different login screen it is because New Online Banking Sign-In Page Now Available. I had seen previous mentions (and thought I might have previously posted about it) but was caught a bit off-guard this morning with the new look.
Ug. Lets put a high-traffic part of our website behind heavy javascript and unnecessary whitespace. Oh yeah, lets also separate the username and password fields so that everyone's password manager autofill function will break.

RBC still has a frankenstein hybrid of new and old in their business accounts, after several years of fumbling. Shameful for the biggest corporation in the country.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I never autofill a bank password.

As for modern page design: look at something like Archive as a page loads. Full of unnecessary crap. :evil:

Manual HTML was far cleaner.... :rofl:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

From the FAQ about the new sign-in page:
RBC wrote: A uniformed (sic) experience, closer to what you're used to seeing on the RBC Mobile app.
Uniformed, hmmm, sounds kinky.
An additional level of security or "2-Step Verification" to help protecting you (sic) bank accounts.
Shamefully bad proof-reading as well.
Marcus Aurelius
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Shakespeare wrote: 14 Jan 2022 15:27 I never autofill a bank password.
My banking passwords are all over 30 random characters. There is no way I would type that every day for several different accounts. That is what a password manager is for.