Taxis and Uber

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Taxis and Uber

Post by Bylo Selhi »

adrian2 wrote:I never pay for the Star.
What, not Red Star? :shock:
I read it when I can get it for free to understand how other points of view are presented.
I'll quote it whenever I find something I find either very good, or really outrageous.
Ditto in my case for the National Pest (and on rare occasions Faux News North, er Stunned Media.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

SQRT wrote:Agree, why would you ever read the Star? G&M much better objective read. Star has been in decline for decades. Crappy stock accordingly.
I find that Heather Mallick is the Star's Margaret Wente. I avoid columnists, with a couple of exceptions, because I find them irritating. I like the ones that tell human interest stories, though. A good story, well told, is worth hearing. The (usually) ignorant opinions of indignant militants, sardonic know-it-alls and pontificating crockpots are of no interest to me. They should be forced to write in the "Comments" section of the paper, imho. And paid the going rate....
Regards,
Pickles
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

adrian2 wrote:
Shine wrote:Then why do you read them and quote them? Why not just look out the window instead? :P
I never pay for the Star.

I read it when I can get it for free to understand how other points of view are presented.
I'll quote it whenever I find something I find either very good, or really outrageous.
Oh.. so do you steal editions of The Star from your neighbours or the local coffee shops?

How noble of you to try to research how other points of view either mirror or rankle your own thoughts - and for free as well!

I thought you stated that when you read articles by Ms Mallick your blood pressure rises...so again, however you acquire your "free" copies of "The Star", why read the articles if it raises your blood pressure? Perhaps you should discuss this with your personal physician.

:roll:
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Shine wrote:Oh.. so do you steal editions of The Star from your neighbours or the local coffee shops?
That's a low blow, even for you! :evil: :evil:

I never steal.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

A placard ad on the London Underground proclaimed, "50% of clergy take The Times." A wag added underneath, "The other 50% pay."
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Pickles wrote:
SQRT wrote:Agree, why would you ever read the Star? G&M much better objective read. Star has been in decline for decades. Crappy stock accordingly.
I find that Heather Mallick is the Star's Margaret Wente. I avoid columnists, with a couple of exceptions, because I find them irritating. I like the ones that tell human interest stories, though. A good story, well told, is worth hearing. The (usually) ignorant opinions of indignant militants, sardonic know-it-alls and pontificating crockpots are of no interest to me. They should be forced to write in the "Comments" section of the paper, imho. And paid the going rate....
Good one. People tend to read the columnists that reflect their opinions/biases. A little like US cable news (Fox News). Probably not good for developing balanced, well rounded attitudes.
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

Bylo Selhi wrote: The price is high because demand outstrips supply presumably because NYC controls the number of new plates issued. "An auction was held in 2006 where 308 new medallions were sold." That's a drop in the bucket of "13347 regular medallions." I'd be surprised if the investment companies that own the medallions and who sell them to one another object to their high prices. But they probably do object to the characterization that they're the ones who are "screwing" the "hacks."...

Again the people who are making out like bandits aren't the ones sitting in swivel chairs at city hall.
I suspect you are probably right. Although it seems strange to me that the city would artificially regulate supply beneath demand. In theory they could double (or triple) the amount of new plates (at half to one third the cost) and still make a profit. And have happier citizens with lower taxi wait times (and maybe even lower costs due to lower start up costs). Of course, the incumbents would rage, but one wonders why it seems governments cater more to vested interests than the citizens they are supposed to serve.

And it's not like the current high premium medallions are resulting in high quality service/drivers. The status quo seems adequate at best (as far as drivers/car cleanliness etc. are concerned).
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

Chuck wrote:
Bylo Selhi wrote: The price is high because demand outstrips supply presumably because NYC controls the number of new plates issued. "An auction was held in 2006 where 308 new medallions were sold." That's a drop in the bucket of "13347 regular medallions." I'd be surprised if the investment companies that own the medallions and who sell them to one another object to their high prices. But they probably do object to the characterization that they're the ones who are "screwing" the "hacks."...

Again the people who are making out like bandits aren't the ones sitting in swivel chairs at city hall.
I suspect you are probably right. Although it seems strange to me that the city would artificially regulate supply beneath demand. In theory they could double (or triple) the amount of new plates (at half to one third the cost) and still make a profit. And have happier citizens with lower taxi wait times (and maybe even lower costs due to lower start up costs). Of course, the incumbents would rage, but one wonders why it seems governments cater more to vested interests than the citizens they are supposed to serve.

And it's not like the current high premium medallions are resulting in high quality service/drivers. The status quo seems adequate at best (as far as drivers/car cleanliness etc. are concerned).
Uber might be better at policing standards then most cities. Vancouver could use this service. I hope that governments haven't got the ability to stop this badly needed service. It occurred that this development might reduce the need for vehicle ownership in large cities and save us from a lot of expensive infrastucture and traffic conjestion .
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

zinfit wrote:]Uber might be better at policing standards then most cities. Vancouver could use this service. I hope that governments haven't got the ability to stop this badly needed service. It occurred that this development might reduce the need for vehicle ownership in large cities and save us from a lot of expensive infrastucture and traffic conjestion .
In its current implementation I don't think Uber is keeping any cars off the road. If anything it's replacing transit in a pinch for people frustrated with a starved TTC. If passengers were being picked up on rides that the driver would be taking anyway, then I'd call it ride sharing and say you're right, but that's not the case in Toronto at least.
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

adrian2 wrote:
Shine wrote:Oh.. so do you steal editions of The Star from your neighbours or the local coffee shops?
That's a low blow, even for you! :evil: :evil:

I never steal.
How like you to go all drama queen and Bette Davis on this...and in bold as well.

It was a razz - something you do on a regular basis on this forum - however it seems you can not take a razz back.

Double evil - my gosh! I will have to hide out tomorrow.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

big easy wrote:It was reported that a taxi license in Vancouver is worth $1 million dollars. Not sure if that's true but reminds me of the dairy industry where the quota to own dairy cows sells for six figures per cow ($100-200k if memory serves).

In truth, Uber is more than just an app putting drivers and drives together - they set rates, collect payment, pay and enlist drivers. I wonder how drivers deal with insurance? Don't you need special insurance for such a commercial enterprise? I bet Uber isn't bothered about that.
Uber has a blanket insurance policy covering it's drivers. I believe it's 5 million per driver.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

fundy48 wrote:
big easy wrote:It was reported that a taxi license in Vancouver is worth $1 million dollars. Not sure if that's true but reminds me of the dairy industry where the quota to own dairy cows sells for six figures per cow ($100-200k if memory serves).
Off Topic- but: That dairy figure is seriously inflated. More accurate figure would be $20 - $25 K per cow.
Probably right. It doesn't make sense to own a milk cow without the quota. I know a dairy farmer who has paid 3 million for the quota for 100 cows. A taxi wouldn't cost much more then a regular vehicle. It would be fairly useless without the taxi license.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

zinfit wrote: Uber has a blanket insurance policy covering it's drivers. I believe it's 5 million per driver.
However many drivers (e.g. UberX) do not inform their personal insurance and just hope everything will be alright via Uber's policy. When their personal insurance finds out the shit hits the fan.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

queerasmoi wrote:
zinfit wrote: Uber has a blanket insurance policy covering it's drivers. I believe it's 5 million per driver.
However many drivers (e.g. UberX) do not inform their personal insurance and just hope everything will be alright via Uber's policy. When their personal insurance finds out the shit hits the fan.
I've held an Underinsured Motorist Protection policy since I was a teenager. Well worth the money. Don't rely on morons to properly insure, take the initiative.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Surprise! Under Pressure From Uber, Taxi Medallion Prices are Plummeting
The average price of an individual New York City taxi medallion fell to $872,000 in October, down 17 percent from a peak reached in the spring of 2013, according to an analysis of sales data...

In other big cities, medallion prices are also falling, often in conjunction with a sharp decline in sales volume. In Chicago, prices are down 17 percent. In Boston, they’re down at least 20 percent, though it’s hard to establish an exact market price because there have been only five trades since July. In Philadelphia, the taxi authority recently failed to sell any medallions at its asking price of $475,000; it will try again, at $350,000.
squid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by squid »

This seems so ridiculous. Imagine any other business so restricted. Cities, for example, do not limit the amount of convenience store licenses, and then sell the licences for windfall profits. Maybe they should? I blame the weak 7-11 lobby.
What is the rationale that permits cities to limit competition and availability of service in this one facet?
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Uber safer than taxis? In Bogata, maybe: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... r-27207414
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Insomniac wrote:Uber safer than taxis? In Bogata, maybe: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... r-27207414
Interesting article. I can't help but think of that old quote "there is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come". Sorry if I mangled the quote. Anyone remember who said this?
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Hugo never said it, especially in English. But he did present the idea.
For the fun of it...Keith
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

(I know I'm resurrecting an old thread).

I started using the service last weekend and I'm a convert. Besides the reasons already given, here are other advantages:

- Since you're rating the driver, they provide a better experience than a cab. They often provide water bottles and candy/chocolates and have offered the AUX-in cable and phone charging
- Since passengers get rated, they treat the car better too, so you don't have to worry about the last passengers
- Since they're driving their own cars, they worry about the long-term impact on their vehicle and don't drive like it's a rental car
- I've run the numbers on my 4 trips in Tronna (3km and 9km) and it was 20-30% cheaper than a cab (if I tipped $0 and if there was no charge for waiting at red lights, etc.). And I get cash back on the credit card.

What I really want is a competitor to Uber. The taxicab industry is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Hammerer wrote:What I really want is a competitor to Uber.
There are at least two: Lyft and Sidecar. Before you get too excited Google on "uber anticompetitive."
leoc2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leoc2 »

When I was in Madrid Spain last week I used "mytaxi – The Taxi App" on my cell phone. It works and feels like Uber which I have used in San Francisco. IIRC Spain has banned Uber. Competition is coming.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

Oh, I know, but there's seemingly little direct competition in any Canadian city that they operate in :(
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

"to see what the rest of the world thinks"

Love it, perfect reason, great story.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

How Uber is ending the dirty dealings behind Toronto’s cab business
On the streets of Toronto, there’s a story that’s gone on for way too long – the dirty dealings behind the cab business. But things are changing. Let’s have a look.

In September 2012, one of Toronto’s taxi licenses sold for $360,000. As it turned out, this was a peak that presaged a major slide. By 2013, the average selling price of a cab plate had fallen to $153,867. In 2014, it was $118,235.

The reason behind this plunge is Uber...

The Toronto cab business is a ruthless and depressing business. It has put untold millions in the pockets of people who turned city permits into a license to print money. Plate holders fought reform. Now they’re fighting Uber. But this time, they’re up against forces they can’t beat – history and a better mousetrap.