TD EasyWeb

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TD Waterhouse Service

Post by brucecohen »

[quote="like_to_retire"]n"]The summary is a nice quick overview, so you don't have to scroll down
/quote]
But how do you use it? Please cite an example. What are the benefits of d
devoting so much real estate to that at the expense of having to scroll down to actually access accounts.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TD EasyWeb

Post by Bylo Selhi »

AltaRed wrote:You can still download all relevant documents in PDF form and save to your PC (which is what I do at 3 discount brokers).
You can. But paradoxically it becomes increasingly difficult to do so the more and more varied the business you do with TD. That's because you have to do every download separately. That's my complaint with downloading transactions using the new "Easy"Web. With the old implementation I could download all of my accounts in one click. Now I have to select one at a time, then specify the download format (CSV, Quicken, etc.) then download, rinse and repeat. Add to that several credit cards, WebBroker for investments and it takes minutes rather than seconds to get everything in paperless. This isn't progress.

Progress would have been to allow the customer to create a download profile that lists all their accounts with TD, let them specify what format(s) they wanted data for each account, then download all new statements, etc. in a single mouse click. The resultant download might be a single consolidated PDF or a series of individual files in a directory. The point is, if you want people to switch to paperless, make it as convenient for them as possible.

The new "Easy"Web is a text book example of how not to do it (or a demonstration of what happens when you let "Easy"Web "developers" do what's easy for them, not what's easy for their customers.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

I like the new format. What I DON'T like, as with the old version, is that my local tellers can see my financial net worth (Waterhouse amounts show up on the same page) when I swipe my client card. In a relatively small community, that's fodder for gossip or worse, no?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

2yen wrote:I like the new format. What I DON'T like, as with the old version, is that my local tellers can see my financial net worth (Waterhouse amounts show up on the same page) when I swipe my client card. In a relatively small community, that's fodder for gossip or worse, no?
Are you sure about that? AFAIK, that is not the case with either Scotia or RBC.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Hi Alta. I just called TDW and they said I can request through them that information about balances not be shared with TD Canada Trust.
They implied that when I set up my Waterhouse accounts, that I would have been asked my preferences re sharing of info. I will check this out further in person.

Cheers.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I had a bad experience with them on this. I had the ability to do transfers from TDCT savings accounts to TDW and back. When I selected the option not to share information upon creating the TFSAs, transfers were not enabled. So I had to select sharing to enable direct transfers.
For the fun of it...Keith
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

kcowan wrote:I had a bad experience with them on this. I had the ability to do transfers from TDCT savings accounts to TDW and back. When I selected the option not to share information upon creating the TFSAs, transfers were not enabled. So I had to select sharing to enable direct transfers.
I think you can not share information and do it as a bill payment. I share the info and the money is instantly available, I like that.

newguy
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

AltaRed wrote:
2yen wrote:I like the new format. What I DON'T like, as with the old version, is that my local tellers can see my financial net worth (Waterhouse amounts show up on the same page) when I swipe my client card. In a relatively small community, that's fodder for gossip or worse, no?
Are you sure about that? AFAIK, that is not the case with either Scotia or RBC.

Actually this is true at RBC if you signed a consent to share. Which you almost certainly did as it is part of the DI form. Unless your account is very old.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

For me, the summing up is useless anyway because I'm an Authorized User of one of my Dad's credit cards and as a result his card appears in my summary. I only use that card for emergencies, specific agreed items or running errands on my parents' behalf. Hence most of the balance on there at any given time is his to pay off, not mine. When it gets summed up with other numbers the result is meaningless to me.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

queerasmoi wrote:For me, the summing up is useless anyway because I'm an Authorized User of one of my Dad's credit cards and as a result his card appears in my summary.
Ditto here with joint accounts. Yet another example of ineptitude of the people at TD who came up with these "improvements" :roll:
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Yet another example of ineptitude of the people at TD who came up with these "improvements" :roll:
I could be wrong, but I think what Bylo may be trying to say here is the folks at TD could have better used the $$ expense allocated to this "enhancement" for a better purpose outside of needlessly altering a fully functional website.
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I also don't find the summary useful. It has my Waterhouse accounts, and a credit card with an average balance of $5 on it ... just rounding error ... and I have no idea why I'd want to combine those anyway. Maybe they should move the summary to the bottom of the page so that people could ignore it by not scrolling down to it. :)
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

optionable68 wrote:I think what Bylo may be trying to say here is the folks at TD could have better used the $$ expense allocated to this "enhancement" for a better purpose outside of needlessly altering a fully functional website.
Close. I would change "needlessly altering" to "needlessly removing features from" ;)
IdOp wrote:I also don't find the summary useful. It has my Waterhouse accounts, and a credit card with an average balance of $5 on it ... just rounding error ... and I have no idea why I'd want to combine those anyway. Maybe they should move the summary to the bottom of the page so that people could ignore it by not scrolling down to it. :)
Or how about making the Summary section collapsable using - and + buttons as they do on the Banking, Investments, Credit, etc. sections? That way you could get it out of your face if it's of no use to you.

Of course I should be careful about asking for that. They blew the implementation of section collapse/expand too because it has no memory. You can't collapse a section permanently. Every time you login it shows up in its default expanded state. (Plus you can't reorganize the order to sections to put the most important ones at the top.)

If only they'd spent a couple of minutes looking at the Quicken for Windows user interface (or just about any other modern web site for that matter.)
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

And why not give us the choice whether to display an account in the summary. I have an old greenline account on my summary (a chequing account associated with Waterhouse investments) which is only used to deposit a pension cheque once a month before it is swept into an investment account automatically. It used to be used for writing cheques directly from Waterhouse (and the sweep would be the other way). Have not used it for that since I ran out of cheques and could not order more.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

New format seems fine to me. Probably have 20-30 banking and investment accounts. The thing that works very well is the ability to access my TD USA checking account and perform all functions without having to log in separately.
As an aside I was in our new local branch in Canmore a few months ago, and went to a young teller for something. When he pulled up my profile I was astonished that he said "wow! Big balances, you can put me in your will anytime". I told him, politely that this was an inappropriate response, he apologized but I am still peeved.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

SQRT wrote:
As an aside I was in our new local branch in Canmore a few months ago, and went to a young teller for something. When he pulled up my profile I was astonished that he said "wow! Big balances, you can put me in your will anytime". I told him, politely that this was an inappropriate response, he apologized but I am still peeved.
I've had similar experiences. I called TDWH to see if I could block the sharing of my TDWH account information with TD Canada Trust tellers. I was told if I wanted to continue to enable online transfers between TDWH and TDCT, there was no way to block the sharing of account info.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

twa2w wrote:
AltaRed wrote:Are you sure about that? AFAIK, that is not the case with either Scotia or RBC.

Actually this is true at RBC if you signed a consent to share. Which you almost certainly did as it is part of the DI form. Unless your account is very old.
The only reason I mentioned this regarding RBC is I recall a local branch accounts manager saying to my mother and I a few years back that she could only see that Mom had an RBC DI account, but not how much was in it... and yet we do transfers between the bank accounts and RBC DI all the time. I could have been mistaken on the understanding on what that accounts manager said.

I don't have a personal concern about RBC since I have little business with them (an RRSP only), but my real concern would be at Scotia where I have most of my business. I don't want a Scotiabank teller to know what I have in my investment accounts. I will have to follow up.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

I think it's possible to enable/disable sharing between TDW and TD on an account-by-account basis.

Open a new cash account at TDW. Keep zero balance. Sign up for electronic statements to avoid inactivity & low balance fees. Enable sharing with TD.

Disable sharing of all other accounts.

This setup hides your balances from TD tellers. You can still do instant transfers:

Move funds from TD to the shared TDW account. You can do this either in EasyWeb or WebBroker.
Move funds from the shared dummy account to the real account. You have to do this in WebBroker.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Cause for optimism?
EasyWeb wrote:From: ChannelTeam
Sent Date: Jun 23, 2013 1:03 AM
Expiry Date: Aug 3, 2013 11:24 PM
Topic: EASYWEB
Subject: Multiple Account Download Issue

We have recently enhanced your EasyWeb online banking experience. An unexpected, temporary impact of the enhancement prevents your ability to download account activity for multiple accounts. We are aware of this issue and are working quickly to resolve it.
Seeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Seeker »

ig17 wrote:I think it's possible to enable/disable sharing between TDW and TD on an account-by-account basis.

Open a new cash account at TDW. Keep zero balance. Sign up for electronic statements to avoid inactivity & low balance fees. Enable sharing with TD.

Disable sharing of all other accounts.

This setup hides your balances from TD tellers. You can still do instant transfers:

Move funds from TD to the shared TDW account. You can do this either in EasyWeb or WebBroker.
Move funds from the shared dummy account to the real account. You have to do this in WebBroker.

Unfortunately, this does not work, I tried it.
Once you disable sharing with the other TDW accounts, you cannot transfer funds to them in WebBroker as the links disappear. Apparently the TD Canada Trust accounts and the TD Waterhouse Accounts "share the same platform so all links to non sharing accounts disappear" as the customer service representative explained. So although you can transfer funds between the TD bank accounts and the shared TDW cash account, you cannot transfer between the shared TDW cash account and the balance of the newly sharing disabled TDW accounts in WebBroker. (You can of course have funds transferred by calling a TDW representative.)
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

The real irony is that you cannot do direct transfers between any account that has been set up with account sharing off. It seems to be a serious shortcoming in TDs offerings.

We need an new option: allow me to share my investment accounts but don't let TDCT see them.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

kcowan wrote:The real irony is that you cannot do direct transfers between any account that has been set up with account sharing off. It seems to be a serious shortcoming in TDs offerings.

We need an new option: allow me to share my investment accounts but don't let TDCT see them.
Yes. This is the crux of the issue. Will bring it up with powers that be at my local Waterhouse office (not at TDCT).
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

It seems TD is more creative charging clients. It's an INFINITY account, open to get the 7" free Galaxy Tab. No cheque was ever ordered. I ain't signed up for no stinking cheque return. I sent a secure message asking about this.
Attachments
CHQ-RETURN-FEE.JPG
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
MALDI_ToF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MALDI_ToF »

I have found most banks will reverse charges like this. Just go to the bank and speak with a teller; they will likely have to get their supervisor. One time I was browsing my TD chequing and accidentally clicked the cheque image and it instantly pops up and dings me a few bucks. I went to the bank and got my money back; told them they should have had a confirm button so you don't get charged for accidental clicks. I have since switched to paperless so I get free images.
Give a man a fish, and that man knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish, and you've just destroyed your market base.
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

It turned out that my statement option was "Online Only with Cheque Return". I don't recall I had to choose this when opening the account.
Attachments
CHQ-RETURN-FEE-delivery-method.JPG
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.