What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Post by AltaRed »

Dennis wrote:The number of cylinders does not necessarily reflect the power of the engine!
True, but it does for the average vehicle in this thread. We are not talking about a Porsche 911 here.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

And the winner is...a Mitsubishi Outlander XLS. 6 months old with just 14,000 km. $7000 off of new price. All the bells and whistles. Even my first colour choice. I'm a happy girl. Thank you all for your suggestions and insight. Impressive 5 year, 100,000 km bumper-to-bumper warranty, plus 10 year 160,000 km power train warranty. Also 5 year, unlimited km roadside assistance that is valid where I live.
" I reject you reality, and substitute my own!"-Mythbusters
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Congrats and enjoy. I'm a bit surprised on the "5 year, unlimited km roadside assistance that is valid where I live" given where you live. How do they define roadside up there?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

They sub contract through AMA, CMA or what have you, for towing, flats, boosts etc. They will arrange for warrany repairs through a local shop if possible, if not they will tow it where it can be fixed. It is one of the few Japanese vehicles out there that is still made in Japan. I am hoping this equals quality and reliability.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Unfortunately I didn't receive this in time to assist in your decision making:

Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

That was utterly painful to watch, Nemo. :shock: :lol:
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

Just bought a 2008 RAV 4 Limited AWD with 60,000 Km, for 16,500 plus GST - Original MSRP 39,000.00. In the owners manual the maintenance schedule goes to over 500,000 KM. I'll be happy if it lasts me 10 years @ < 10,000 KM per year.
The 6 cylinder engine makes me feel like I am in a sports car compared to my old 1995 Honda Odyssey. (anyone want to buy a good used van :lol: )

CHEERS
J
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The 6 cylinder engine makes me feel like I am in a sports car
Yep. You have to be careful with it; the temptation to be lead-footed is dangerous. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Yes, very very zippy. That was it's best feature when I took one for a test drive. Great for bombing around town when you have a lot of stop and goes, and for dodging traffic. It just felt too small for me.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

twa2w wrote:Just bought a 2008 RAV 4 Limited AWD with 60,000 Km, for 16,500 plus GST - Original MSRP 39,000.00. In the owners manual the maintenance schedule goes to over 500,000 KM. I'll be happy if it lasts me 10 years @ < 10,000 KM per year.
The 6 cylinder engine makes me feel like I am in a sports car compared to my old 1995 Honda Odyssey. (anyone want to buy a good used van :lol: )

CHEERS
J
Wow that seems like a good price, what province? Was it a rebuild? Got another one?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

twa2w wrote:Just bought a 2008 RAV 4 Limited AWD with 60,000 Km, for 16,500 plus GST - Original MSRP 39,000.00. In the owners manual the maintenance schedule goes to over 500,000 KM. I'll be happy if it lasts me 10 years @ < 10,000 KM per year.

CHEERS
J
Out our way a Sport model is way more then what you paid?

http://inventory.surreyhonda.com/used/v ... d30017.htm
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

Yes, it was a rebuilt car. I did see it before the repairs. Damage to driver front fender and hood was bent slightly. No airbag deployment and vehicle was driveable. No issues with frame damage. The driver lost control and went into a snowbank. The process for rebuilding a car in Alberta is fairly well controlled so I felt comfortable with the deal. I have some of the service records off the Toyota website. It drives very well - happy so far.
I live in Calgary, the shop I went through was Sunridge autobody. They do buy cars to rebuild and sell. They try to buy vehicles where there is body damage only, nothing mechanical and no airbag deployment.

Cheers
j
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

zinfit wrote:If you can find the money the Toyota Landcruiser is in a league by itself.
Wow!

newguy
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

What can you say?

Bugger!

Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
tidal
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tidal »

This Subaru Impreza Wagon is intriguing:
...My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $2000 but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $500 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's only 183 000 km's on this all-wheel drive hellcat from Planet Kickass. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo...
The future is bright for jellyfish, caulerpa taxifolia, dinoflagellates and prokaryotes... rust never sleeps... the dude abides... the stupid, it burns. (http://bit.ly/LXZsXd)
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

tidal wrote:This Subaru Impreza Wagon is intriguing
Full marks for creativity, although after watching the Killing a Toyota short earlier, the Subaru sounds a bit wimpy... :lol:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Just went out to walk the dogs and the left front tire on my RAV4 was totally flat. When I tried to remove the jack it was beyond my strength to turn the rod to loosen it. I've had to call the AMA.

WTF kind of stupid design is that?
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Shakespeare wrote:Just went out to walk the dogs and the left front tire on my RAV4 was totally flat. When I tried to remove the jack it was beyond my strength to turn the rod to loosen it. I've had to call the AMA.

WTF kind of stupid design is that?
I don't understand but I'm guessing someone got lazy instead of figuring a way to loosen it.

newguy
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Shakespeare wrote:WTF kind of stupid design is that?
Somewhat less stupid than many new cars that come with no spare tire. Instead you get a can of tire repair foam.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I managed to loosen it just before the tow truck got here. But without leverage it was impossible for me to turn the handle to loosen the jack.

Grrr. :evil:

(the AMA assistance is free but I'll give the guy $20 for the hassle.)
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Shakespeare wrote:without leverage it was impossible for me to turn the handle to loosen the jack
FWIW many years ago my dad gave me a ~60cm steel pipe whose ID is greater than the OD of the jack handle that's been in the trunk with the standard tire-changing tool kit ever since. Works great as a "persuader" of nuts — of all kinds.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The RAV4 has a scissors jack in the side at the rear. The central screw is tightened to jam it in place so it doesn't rattle. But it was tightened more than I could loosen by hand. I managed to loosen it with pliers.
The tire has now been changed by the AMA Emergency Road Service and I'm $20 poorer.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Shakespeare wrote:The RAV4 has a scissors jack in the side at the rear.
It was worth it to hire someone since a scissor jack is biggest PITA to use. I bought a bottle jack to keep in the car.

newguy
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

How is your Outlander performing Yukon Maiden? Just curious how much you paid .
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

It had 14,000 km on it. $33,500 all in. With it being slightly used, I avoided a lot of the extra charges new vehicles get hit with. Fully loaded and then some. I am surprised at how much I love the navigation/sound system/ music server. It's the cat's meow. Leather seats, bum warmers, sun roof, all the good stuff. I really love having 4wd and the extra clearance and cargo space. I can't believe I didn't switch to an SUV sooner. It is a much better vehicle for where I live and what I do.

I have had zero issues with it. I love, love, love it!