What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Post by Yukon Maiden »

So my Toyota Camry was smushed by a light runner and is a write off. It never was a great choice for these northern roads, but I loved the fuel economy and creature comforts. Since the secondary and residental streets are rarely or never plowed, I have reluctantly admitted that I really would be much better off in a 4WD or all wheel drive with good ground clearance. Some weeks each winter, my Camry couldn't make it down the road until the "Big Boys" packed it down enough. I also am tired of being the squashee, instead of the squasher. Not that I want either! So, I would like something bigger, but not an enormous beast that needs a whole parking lot to get turned.

I really have no knowledge of SUV and the like. I would like to stay under $40,000. Reliabilty and safety are a must. Suggestions?
" I reject you reality, and substitute my own!"-Mythbusters
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Post by Springbok »

Yukon Maiden wrote:So my Toyota Camry was smushed by a light runner and is a write off. It never was a great choice for these northern roads, but I loved the fuel economy and creature comforts. Since the secondary and residental streets are rarely or never plowed, I have reluctantly admitted that I really would be much better off in a 4WD or all wheel drive with good ground clearance. Some weeks each winter, my Camry couldn't make it down the road until the "Big Boys" packed it down enough. I also am tired of being the squashee, instead of the squasher. Not that I want either! So, I would like something bigger, but not an enormous beast that needs a whole parking lot to get turned.

I really have no knowledge of SUV and the like. I would like to stay under $40,000. Reliabilty and safety are a must. Suggestions?

If you want a crossover and want to stay with Toyota, they have the Venza. Honda's Crosstour is also worth looking at. For a domestic, maybe look at an Equinox. Many many other possibilities! Good Luck. I would try and buy something that has a local dealership that you are happy with.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Lots of options with that amount of money. You want new? What is your other vehicle if your a two car family?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Oh, I would be thrilled to pay half of that, although everything is pricey here. If I could get something a year or two old for $20,000ish, I would concider that too. We have a beat up old 4wd Ford Truck for hauling "stuff", but I don't trust it. It also takes an entire parking lot to turn, which I hate. He drives it around, I don't unless I am in a pinch or snowbound.
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

What else do you need aside from ground clearance and 4wd? Any towing? How many seats, etc?

Theres a lot of good reviews on the 2011 Ford Explorer, specially with its much improved fuel economy. But its the first year of the major make over, so I'd pass. Toyota and Honda both make good small SUVs.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

No children at this point, and none on the horizon. I do occasionally have business clients in my car, so the back seat should fit two adults comfortably. Back seats that fold down to provide extra cargo space would be a major plus.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Crash abliltiy but Big, a Suburban, a bit smaller Tahoe, cheaper then new, crappy MPG.
If your other vehicles are beaters having a nice go to town car like a Rav4, Venza, Subaru might be nice. Top of the line RAV4 tax's in would be about $40.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

Yukon Maiden wrote:No children at this point, and none on the horizon. I do occasionally have business clients in my car, so the back seat should fit two adults comfortably. Back seats that fold down to provide extra cargo space would be a major plus.
I think pretty much all of them will have the folding seats, just like any car would. If you won't tow with it, then a 4 cylinder will do, although in some model the 6 is much better choice. I'm assuming in the meantime you have a rental car from insurance, so why not for a few test drives? See what you like, and then do some research. And you might even find a very good deal on a used one. It definitely sounds like you should looks at a car based SUV, and not truck based. The fuel economy on some models won't be that far off your Camry, but you'll love the 4wd and versatility.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Yes, I am in a rental. A 4WD outlander. It's okay, but not a winner. Also no dealer here. Only the big Three and Toyota. Otherwise a long, long road trip for service. Like to Edmonton.
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

Test drive the Rav4 and see what you think. I personally find them a little small. And if you end up buying used, as long as you have a trusty shop near you, you won't need a dealer close by. There are very issues a local shop can't take care, or if a dealer part is required, then it could be shipped out to you.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

The Rav4 really attracts me, but I am worried it is too small? Would it be any better then my Camry up against a one ton truck? That is the typical vehicle on the road here.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

I am really quite uncomfortable driving big vehicles, but I am also not wanting to be the bug in someone's grill anymore. I need a happy medium.
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

I personally found the Rav4 a little cramped, but you should check it out for yourself, I rode with a co-worker in one, maybe an '04? I'd say a higher, larger vehicle will fare better against a truck, but check the crash test and safety ratings of your chosen vehicle. You'll give up some fuel economy for the larger vehicle, but it sounds like it'll be well worth it for your psyche.

Don't be overly intimated by driving a larger vehicle, you can learn a few techniques and you'll feel much better behind the wheel. My wife out right refused to drive our Suburban at first, but a few lessons in an empty parking lot, and now she'd much rather drive it than our little shoe box, heavy springs, and loud diesel included.

Heres a decent list of smaller SUVs to consider. I don't know about the credit worthiness of the site, but its a good list and good starting point. BTW, I am a total Jeep nut, I've owned many over the years and love them to bits. But I highly suggest you stay away from all of their models. They're great fun, but awful on fuel and reliability.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... pact-SUVs/
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I do occasionally have business clients in my car, so the back seat should fit two adults comfortably. Back seats that fold down to provide extra cargo space would be a major plus.
What kind of a business do you do, Yukon Maiden? :twisted:
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Lol, absolutly prim and proper business I assure you!
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

I will try renting my top choices before I buy. Making such a big switch from what I am used to, I don't trust just doing a quick test drive.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

If RAV4 is to small try the Ford Edge. Its a pretty impressive vehicle . A Nissan Murano and a Hyundai Sante Fe are good choices. If you want something bigger then this group look at the Chevy Traverse, Ford Flex, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and Mazda 9. I an not sold on the new GM yet. As was said the new Ford Explorer is just out, its a new model show one has to be careful and cautious. I believe this is an area in which the companies have all produced solid vehicles and it isn't easy deciding which one is superior.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Yesterday I was at Toyota, today I will check out Ford if they are open. Not sure about quality and reliablity with the Fords, though.
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

Either the Honda CRV or the Toyota RAV4 are the best value IMO. I'd go with the local dealer that has the best reputation and is within reasonable distance.

Consumers Reports is my bible.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

I am well pleased with my 2010 Ford Escape. Ours is AWD and equipped with a V6 engine.

Fuel consumption is around 10.5l/100km in winter with snow tires and a roof box attached. In the summer, I have gotten this down to 9l/100 km on long journeys.

The vehicle has plenty of room for 4 adults (I'm 6'2" and 230# and don't feel cramped one bit even in the back seat). The smaller overall dimensions makes this a manoeuvrable vehicle that is easy to park. While the Escape is quite a bit smaller than the Tahoe it replaced, I don't feel that I am giving up very much in the way of usable space and cargo capacity.

The reliability record for this Ford/Mazda JV has been excellent over the years. In terms of price for performance/features, I would rate the Escape right at the top of its class. These can be bought brand new at very favourable pricing.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Hearing that Mazda is envolved is encouraging. Any other Ford models they have JV on?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Dennis wrote:Either the Honda CRV or the Toyota RAV4 are the best value IMO. I'd go with the local dealer that has the best reputation and is within reasonable distance.
A caveat to those who keep recommending Honda, let alone more obscure makes: YM's Location is "Arctic Circle" and she said upthread, "no dealer here. Only the big Three and Toyota. Otherwise a long, long road trip for service. Like to Edmonton."
Consumers Reports is my bible.
Mine too. However most of what they recommend isn't generally available in Whitehorse or Yellowknife ;)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

There is at least one Honda dealer in the Yukon. This one fixed a light for me when driving the Alaska Highway a few years ago.

Yukon Honda

1 Chilkoot Way, Whitehorse, YT Y1A 6T6

867-668-4451
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Sadly, I am no longer in Whitehorse at this time. I am a bit off the NWT boarder right now, so Edmonton would be the shorter drive, then back to Whitehorse.
iluvnascar
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by iluvnascar »

I think the Ford Escape is the best overall choice due to size (not TOO big.....but certainly not small by any means); reliability (it's been around a while!); features (anything you might want is available); and price (reasonable by any measure......and they have 60 months - or is it 72? - of 0.0% financing available right now). My wife has an Escape (her 3rd one) and wouldn't be without it!

I also agree that a Ford Edge is another great choice.........not quite an SUV....but hard to tell the real difference in an AWD version.