What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Post by zinfit »

I have a Honda Ridgeline that has the same features as your Outlander. It works very well on the highway. It is a whole lot different then 4wheel drive. I have an old Landcruiser . When you drive 15 miles on a frozen lake to do go ice fishing you will soon discover the difference. Especially when you have to go over ice ridges or through snowbanks. The alleged 4wheel drive feature in AWD system only works at very slow speeds. Any real torque disengages the system. AWD is a good feature . It isn't 4WD even if they try to represent it as such.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

It's not the same system. Regardless, as I have stated, I want to get down snow clogged streets, get up icy hills, and park in snow drifts without getting stuck. I am getting through deep snow with no problem that would have ate my Camry for dinner. I am not going mud bogging, off-roading, or traversing frozen lakes. Should I ever feel the need, I have a true 4WD truck sitting in my driveway that is mostly used for hauling big stuff around. I absolutely HATE driving it. The ride is rough and bumpy and it takes a whole parking lot to turn the sucker. To me, the difference between my old Camry and the Mitsubishi Outlander is huge. Like night and day. Like I said, whatever it is, it works.

So let me re-phrase my opening statement for all of you guys in a knot. I will never again have a 2WD vehicle, for as long as I live in the North.
" I reject you reality, and substitute my own!"-Mythbusters
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

Hey, my truck is comfy. Aside from the 4x4 feature, I love the fact that it is an old beater, so can be filled with firewood, manure, straw etc. and I don't have to worry about getting it scratched. I love the folding back seat so you can haul skis, groceries or-thanks to the lovely VINYL flooring-as many muddy dogs as can fit in there! I like my highlander too, but carpet? What were they thinking?
suzy
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

It should be noted that the difference between AWD and 4WD is that the 4WD will get you stuck deeper and further from home... :roll:
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

When you do get stuck with a 4wd you are stuck.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

UPDATE

I must say that I have been beyond thrilled with my final choice of the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS. Over 4 years later and at 108,000 kms, I have had zero issues with it. Not a one. It has started every time and just keeps on trucking. It has only been in the shop for regular maintenance. LOVE IT! :D
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Yukon Maiden wrote:UPDATE

I must say that I have been beyond thrilled with my final choice of the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS. Over 4 years later and at 108,000 kms, I have had zero issues with it. Not a one. It has started every time and just keeps on trucking. It has only been in the shop for regular maintenance. LOVE IT! :D
Glad to hear it. I recall the discussion before you purchased. My SIL has a newer one. I am sure he will be happy to hear your good experience. From what I recall, they came/come with an excellent warranty.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Yes! 5 year 100,000 km bumper to bumper and 10 years 160,000 km drivetrain.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

I looked at an Outlander and the Forrester. They are pretty good vehicles except I find them to on the small side. I am not buying right now. If I was it would come down to a Highlander, Pilot or a Santa Fe. I would probably take a look at the Jeep products. I understand you can buy one with a Fiat diesel engine.