What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What to buy? SUV/Crossover suggestions, please.

Post by zinfit »

I have a Honda Ridgeline. It handles like the Accord. It has four full doors and lots of room. It has a short truck box with a massive trunk embedded in the truck box. Gas mileage is in the mid 20s. Its a great highway vehicle. Mine is a 2006 with 170,000 kilometer. I have had zero problems. It is top rated by Consumer Reports. It is one of a handfull which received the top rating by Lemonaide. A test drive will convince you. It is all wheel drive and four wheel drive for speeds under 30 kilometers per hour.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Springbok wrote:...If you can't envisage a full size SUV, then something like a Ford Escape wouldn't be a bad choice. They are, I think, really Mitsubishis. My Brother in law has one and has had no problems. It has good wheel clearance. He is thinking of trading it and even at 77k km I would buy it from him if I didn't already have too many vehicles ;)
It is really a Mazda Tribute not a Mitsubishi. We have one that replaced our Explorer. It has AWD and handles like a BMW (except for a wider turning circle). We are very happy with it.

(We still have our 1993 Explorer in Mexico. The truck chassis makes short work of the cobblestone streets.)
For the fun of it...Keith
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

kcowan wrote:
Springbok wrote:...If you can't envisage a full size SUV, then something like a Ford Escape wouldn't be a bad choice. They are, I think, really Mitsubishis. My Brother in law has one and has had no problems. It has good wheel clearance. He is thinking of trading it and even at 77k km I would buy it from him if I didn't already have too many vehicles ;)
It is really a Mazda Tribute not a Mitsubishi. We have one that replaced our Explorer. It has AWD and handles like a BMW (except for a wider turning circle). We are very happy with it.

(We still have our 1993 Explorer in Mexico. The truck chassis makes short work of the cobblestone streets.)
You are of course right - a Mazda! (I was having a mental bloc when I wrote that and therefore added the "I think" <:)

I think it is an ideal choice for a mid-size ute.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Anyone else with Ford Escape feedback? It is affordable.
" I reject you reality, and substitute my own!"-Mythbusters
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I've found Edmund's reviews to be useful: http://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2011/
But it's the Escape's brakes that have it trailing the competition. Where nearly all of its rivals have four-wheel disc brakes, the Escape inexplicably uses drum brakes in the rear that simply don't have the power to bring it to a stop quickly....

But unlike a decade ago, there are a number of top compact crossover SUVs such as the Chevrolet Equinox, Honda CR-V, Kia Sportage, Subaru Forester and Toyota RAV4 that best the Ford in terms of overall refinement and functionality.
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/equinox/2011/
The most significant area in which the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox lags is cargo capacity. The Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 both boast more total space, which could be a factor if you're frequently using your small crossover to haul lots of stuff. The Equinox also comes across as a bit lifeless to drive when compared to sportier models like the Kia Sportage and Mazda CX-7. But in pretty much every other measure that matters -- cabin design, fuel economy, comfort and safety -- Chevy's crossover is a front-runner.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I'd have to say that the brake argument doesn't fly IMO. Drum brakes will lock the wheel (or not) as well as disk brakes.

If you speed down a lot of mountain roads with constant heavy braking then drum brakes will eventually lose braking power with fade whereas disk brakes will fade later. Manufacturers wanting to save costs use drum brakes because the parking brake is easier and cheaper to design.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Triumph
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Triumph »

My wife has a Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) she has had it since 2002 and would not part with it. Other than oil and tires and brakes I don't think I have spent $300 on it. The one thing I did do was to put a set of fairly aggressive Michelin tries on it, we live on a hill that a lot of cars can't get up when it snows, she can back out onto the hill and in 4 wheel drive go up with out a problem. A few years ago we had a heavy snow fall 12" of wet snow and before the snow plow got around to our street we where the only household able to get out. My wife love sitting up over most traffic it's very easy to park, and just the right size for her. It is a little hard on gas around town but that is something we can live with. The tires probable made the biggest difference in snow.....would we buy another one...yes with out a doubt.
"The secrecy of my job prohibits me from knowing what I'm doing"
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

My wife has a Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape)
These seem to be a little cheaper then some of the other cross-overs. No dealer up north.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Dennis wrote:I'd have to say that the brake argument doesn't fly IMO. Drum brakes will lock the wheel (or not) as well as disk brakes.

If you speed down a lot of mountain roads with constant heavy braking then drum brakes will eventually lose braking power with fade whereas disk brakes will fade later. Manufacturers wanting to save costs use drum brakes because the parking brake is easier and cheaper to design.
Yup - I'd go so far as to suggest that the main reason for installing disk brakes on rear wheels is that they are sexier an additional feature for the salesguy to salivate about.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

pmj wrote:I'd go so far as to suggest that the main reason for installing disk brakes on rear wheels is that they are sexier an additional feature for the salesguy to salivate about.
I'd say that about rear brakes period. Right now I have my first car that I'm even considering replacing the rear brakes at 230k kms. They're starting to smell funny :lol: . I usually just cut and crimp the brake line when they wear out.

newguy
Triumph
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Triumph »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
My wife has a Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape)
These seem to be a little cheaper then some of the other cross-overs. No dealer up north.
Back in 02 the Tribute was better looking than the Escape more options and more expensive. If I was buying one today it would be the Escape with the V6 4WD and all the toys.
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Yukon Maiden wrote:
Anyone else with Ford Escape feedback? It is affordable.
While I have never owned an SUV, I have been in Whitehorse and really enjoyed my visit there. I would suggest you might want to skew your decision to the availabiltiy of maintance and service for different makes of vehicles in the Yukon.
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Within a 400 km distance, I have the big 3 and Toyota. If Honda was closer, I would be checking it out, too.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

This thread is developing a life of it's own :)
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Well, I tried a Toyota Rav4, it felt too small. Then the Highlander, which felt so big and lunky, I wasn't comfortable driving it. I am now looking at all brands, not just what I have here. Most seem to have a shop here that they will accept for work that won't violate the warrenty. Anyone with feedback on Subaru?
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks. ... orpio1.htm

You probably can't (and won't) buy this, but just showing a new product from India that's on it's way. I'd like a ranger sized truck with a small common rail turbo diesel engine. The link is for the SUV model. Some of the obvious truck fans in this thread might be interested.

newguy
iluvnascar
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by iluvnascar »

Like I said upthread......get the Ford Escape. It's the right size; it's got everything available that you could possibly want/need; it's a proven product (it's been around for a while); it's built in North America (Kansas City I think); and it's as affordable as anything out there. Good promotions on it available also (0% interest). We have had three or four......and every one was a gem.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

I love my Hybrid Highlander (what else would I buy?:lol: ). I got it over a month ago and have filled it up twice since then. I'm getting 10-12L per 100K. It'll be a blessing in a couple of years when I retire (fully) and can no longer write off the gas.

YM, I agree that it felt big when I first drove it - it's wider than my previous one - and I really have no idea why they felt obliged to stuff in two extra back seats that few people will ever use (Maybe if Mrs W and I take all five grandchildren out at the same time one day), but it will pull my trailer nicely and get everything I need back and forward to the cottage.

Good luck with your quest

Wallace
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Triumph
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Triumph »

Wallace wrote:I love my Hybrid Highlander (what else would I buy?:lol: ). I got it over a month ago and have filled it up twice since then. I'm getting 10-12L per 100K. It'll be a blessing in a couple of years when I retire (fully) and can no longer write off the gas.

YM, I agree that it felt big when I first drove it - it's wider than my previous one - and I really have no idea why they felt obliged to stuff in two extra back seats that few people will ever use (Maybe if Mrs W and I take all five grandchildren out at the same time one day), but it will pull my trailer nicely and get everything I need back and forward to the cottage.

Good luck with your quest

Wallace
A good friend has a 2010 Highlander and I agree it is a very nice SUV great ride and handling, me friend however is furious over the gas mileage the vehicle has the 4 cylinder engine recommended to him by the dealer for better gas mileage he is getting about 400km to the tank which it 15-18 L/100km combined city and highway. He has had it back to the dealer who said that the gas mileage is not good but is unable to improve it.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

me friend however is furious over the gas mileage the vehicle has the 4 cylinder engine recommended to him by the dealer for better gas mileage
My observation is that worse gas mileage will be obtained under actual driving conditions with an underpowered engine because the driver will keep flooring it.

A four is adequate for a RAV4 (although I have the V6), but not a Highlander.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Yukon Maiden wrote:Anyone with feedback on Subaru?
In 2009 I test drove the RAV4, Forester and Outback. The Forester was the quietest and most comfortable. So I bought it. Have been happy so far. Did very well on three 1,000 km trips. BUT Subarus are kinda complicated and it can be hard for non-dealers to get parts down here. So I don't know if it's a good choice for where you live. Are there many running around?
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

Shakespeare wrote:
me friend however is furious over the gas mileage the vehicle has the 4 cylinder engine recommended to him by the dealer for better gas mileage
My observation is that worse gas mileage will be obtained under actual driving conditions with an underpowered engine because the driver will keep flooring it.

An underpowered small engine in a larger vehicle is bad news all around. The little money you save initially is lost quickly to poor fuel economy, and quicker wear and tear.

That beast I posted previously does 18 per 100 loaded with 5 adults, camping gear, and towing that heavy trailer. Empty it'll see 15 per 100, and that's with a big honking diesel V8.
Triumph
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Triumph »

Shakespeare wrote:

I agree 100% a 4 cyl. in that size of vehicle is to small but the dealer should have known better this is not the first Toyota he has bought from this dealer but it may the last. He is a bit of an old fart so doesn't drive it very hard.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

The bigger question is why 'idiot' Toyota even offers a 4 in a Highlander. It is dangerous, i.e. no acceleration capability to get out of a bind, merge, pass on 2 lane roads, etc. We see too much of this nonsense.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

The number of cylinders does not necessarily reflect the power of the engine!
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl