to buy new or used car?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Shakespeare
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Re: to buy new or used car?

Post by Shakespeare » 02 Aug 2017 23:21

Turbos don't get the mileage benefits claimed unless you change your driving.

The trouble with turbos: Why fuel economy can be worse, not better - The Globe and Mail

Go with a CVT instead.
“A wise man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at any time.” -- R.A. Heinlein, The Door Into Summer.

AltaRed
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by AltaRed » 02 Aug 2017 23:38

Shakespeare wrote:
02 Aug 2017 23:21
Go with a CVT instead.
I agree driving habits need to change to make a turbo more fuel efficient, but CVTs are not for everyone either. They have their own personalities with some lag of their own as the computer seeks to balance all the input factors to deliver the right torque.

At least on our Nissan Pathfinder, I sometimes find engine speed rev up more than it needs too with a bit of lag until the transmission delivers the torque to the wheels. Maybe that vehicle is too big for a CVT. In any event, I much prefer the hard downshifts of conventional auto transmissions to provide a sudden surge of power to the wheels when i punch it and I won't buy a CVT again. I do acknowledge it delivers horsepower in the most efficient way with better fuel mileage than its competitors in that segment.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom

Shakespeare
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by Shakespeare » 02 Aug 2017 23:48

I believe the engine speedup is deliberate to deliver more torque. My Forester does the same thing.

Added: I can put hard shifts in the Forester but don't normally drive it that way except during steep hill descents.
“A wise man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at any time.” -- R.A. Heinlein, The Door Into Summer.

Thegipper
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Thegipper » 03 Aug 2017 10:32

Shakespeare wrote:
02 Aug 2017 23:48
I believe the engine speedup is deliberate to deliver more torque. My Forester does the same thing.

Added: I can put hard shifts in the Forester but don't normally drive it that way except during steep hill descents.
I have a Honda Odyessey 2016 and it delivers 34 MPG highway. Nothing sexy but a great overall vehicle. I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla with 260 k and it gets about 41 MPG highway. My only beef with the Corolla is the need for a little better acceleration. Based on what I know I will be avoiding a turbo charged vehicle when I buy the next vehicle.Another point about turbo's is their reliability if you keep your vehicle for lengthy periods of time. They start having problems when you get 100k or more.

Koogie
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Koogie » 03 Aug 2017 10:51

Thegipper wrote:
03 Aug 2017 10:32
Based on what I know I will be avoiding a turbo charged vehicle when I buy the next vehicle.Another point about turbo's is their reliability if you keep your vehicle for lengthy periods of time. They start having problems when you get 100k or more.
Depends on the maker and their history and expertise with the technology. A friend has a Subaru Impreza WRX with a turbo that has over 250,000km on it. No problems at all in terms of repairs and Subaru has been doing turbos since forever.

The turbo lag is stunning though. I borrowed it for a few weeks when I was between vehicles. I would be on the QEW and put my foot down and nothing would happen for about 1.5 seconds. Then it would literally JUMP forward and take off like a greyhound with its ass on fire. All in all a scary little go-cart of a thing.
Buy very little, sell even less.

BRIAN5000
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by BRIAN5000 » 06 Oct 2017 20:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5lqZAskcA

2018 Honda Accord Vs 2018 Toyota Camry: Quick Drive Comparison

No more V6 in the Accord :(
“Sometimes you are going to sell early and wish you would’ve held on, other times you will hold on a
little bit longer and wish you would’ve sold early - this is just part of the game.” - Frank Zorilla via Abnormal Returns

vince2
Silver Ring
Silver Ring

Post by vince2 » 07 Oct 2017 18:52

Koogie wrote:
03 Aug 2017 10:51
Thegipper wrote:
03 Aug 2017 10:32
Based on what I know I will be avoiding a turbo charged vehicle when I buy the next vehicle.Another point about turbo's is their reliability if you keep your vehicle for lengthy periods of time. They start having problems when you get 100k or more.
Depends on the maker and their history and expertise with the technology. A friend has a Subaru Impreza WRX with a turbo that has over 250,000km on it. No problems at all in terms of repairs and Subaru has been doing turbos since forever.

The turbo lag is stunning though. I borrowed it for a few weeks when I was between vehicles. I would be on the QEW and put my foot down and nothing would happen for about 1.5 seconds. Then it would literally JUMP forward and take off like a greyhound with its ass on fire. All in all a scary little go-cart of a thing.
Fuel consumption in my experience depends on how one drives a turbocharged car. I have a Golf GTI 2 litre with turbo & dual clutch system and it routinely gets 31 mpg in the city. It starts developing excellent torque at about 1500 rpm and yes, then acceleration from that point onwards can have you hanging onto the wheel - the description of a greyhound with its ass on fire is very apt :D .
'A slow death to those who become slaves of habit, who repeat the same track every day, who do not change pace, who do not risk and change the colour of their clothes, who do not talk and who do not learn.'
Pablo Neruda