to buy new or used car?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: to buy new or used car?

Post by Insomniac »

For the real thing, this facility will soon be open here on the Island.

http://islandmotorsportcircuit.com/

Have to be a member to use it. :? I bet that won't last long and they will open it to people who want a TopGear like "put a star in a reasonably priced car" experience. (I am hoping)
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

That is a cute little track. Too bad their off road track is only a km long. My lucky kids had the infinity off road experiences up the hill behind here. The youngest still enjoys exploring trails, luckily they have lots around Kamloops too!
suzy
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

There are plenty of places for off-roading around here - some of them may even be legal - so there is no need for a long off-road track. This one is for "proving" which I think means test drives. The sponsors of this track is the local German car dealers so my guess is it's for test drives.

Unfortunately, this track is only for rich old guys. A race track for the kids would be great. It would be much safer and a lot less work for the cops if the track catered to the kids who want to see what their cars can do.

This new course is on the Lake Cowichan highway; a notorious road for street racing. When I was much younger, I got my car up to over 200 KPH on that highway. Only did that once - thing was a bit wobbly at that speed - those old muscle cars didn't handle very well even with updated tires and suspension.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Anyone look at the new Honda Civic yet?
http://www.honda.ca/civic_sedan
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Anyone look at the new Honda Civic yet?

As far as Honda Civics go, the 2016 remake is pretty sharp and good looking little vehicle. Having said that, I'd wait until next year. A co-worker bought a 2015 that I drove a little. Very nice car for the price and quality, but if I were to do it, I'd step up to the Accord.

If you go with a 2016 Civic, research the following issue, but like I said, I'd wait and not buy the first year of a redesign. 2016 Civic stop-sale
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Anyone look at the new Honda Civic yet?
The back reminds me of a Volvo.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Anyone else going to pre-order the Tesla Model 3 this Thursday?

Here is the official press release and reservation deposit.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Flaccidsteele wrote:Anyone else going to pre-order the Tesla Model 3 this Thursday?
Since you use words (like fragile) in a different way than most people, I may point out that "anyone else" kind of implies you have pre-ordered the car. Is that so?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
ThinkingCapital
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ThinkingCapital »

Flaccidsteele wrote:Anyone else going to pre-order the Tesla Model 3 this Thursday?

Here is the official press release and reservation deposit.
It definitely looks interesting. These lower price electric cars (Such as the Model 3 and the Chevy Bolt) could really bring electric cars mainstream. Did you reserve one?
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

I bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey and just completed a 2600 mile trip through the US driving a 75 and 80 mph. I kept all my gas receipts and calculated my mileage. It was 34.5 mpg on the imperial gallon. The eco engine feature on this vehicle is amazing. I can't find anything to complain about. WE did a through comparison with the other mini-vans and both my wife and myself voted for the Honda.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

adrian2 wrote:
Since you use words (like fragile) in a different way than most people, I may point out that "anyone else" kind of implies you have pre-ordered the car. Is that so?
ThinkingCapital wrote:Did you reserve one?
The silence is deafening (or should I say it's avoiding a fragile retirement state?)...
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Was watching Cramer and his cohorts on CNBC this morning. Based on their calculations it costs Tesla $7,000,000 for every car they have sold. Might be a great car not sure I am interested in buying their stock.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

So tonight I pick up the new car anyone have any success negotiating a discount on the extended warranties?

It's on a Honda if that matters.

$1048.00 to extend it to 5 years 100k from 3 years 60k.

Should I be using synthetic oil and is Honda oil really a full synthetic?

Just reading the warranty coverage not sure what you get for $1000 bucks.

Anyone use wheel locks anymore or a waste of $80?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

BRIAN5000 wrote:It's on a Honda if that matters.
The make that least needs an extended warranty ;) Now if this was a Jeep [or even a Mercedes... ;) ]
Should I be using synthetic oil and is Honda oil really a full synthetic?
You should follow the recommendations in the Owner Manual.
Just reading the warranty coverage not sure what you get for $1000 bucks.
Aye. There's the rub. Read the terms and conditions carefully. Sometimes they're worded so as to exclude the most common stuff that fails.
Anyone use wheel locks anymore or a waste of $80?
Read this: How To Remove A Locking Lug Nut Without The Key. I'd imagine many potential wheel men have already.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

read this: How To Remove A Locking Lug Nut Without The Key. I'd imagine many potential wheel men have already.
I find this rather hilarious....
Try a few socket sizes on your nut until you find one that makes you think, “Yeah, I could probably ram that thing on with a hammer.” Then ram that thing on with a hammer.
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
read this: How To Remove A Locking Lug Nut Without The Key. I'd imagine many potential wheel men have already.
I find this rather hilarious....
Try a few socket sizes on your nut until you find one that makes you think, “Yeah, I could probably ram that thing on with a hammer.” Then ram that thing on with a hammer.

There are a million ways to get those stupid things off. My problem with them was either the nut or key would break or strip. You can weld another nut on them, break off the stud, or I think what the posted video was about, getting a 12 point socket at Princess Auto for less than a dollar and hammering it on.

Also remember those locking nuts usually can only take about 45 pounds, while the rest of the nuts require 80-90 ft pounds. Garbage product all around. And like Bylo said, I too wouldn't get extended warranty on a few brands, but especially on Honda or Toyota.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

And even if you did decide you still wanted locking wheel nuts(not a recommendation), just buy them at CT for $20-25 rather than the huge dealer markup.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Never bought any locking wheel nuts, but just about every car I've owned for years came with them, courtesy of the previous owner. All of them have repeatedly taken 90 ft-lb without any evident problems.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Last 3 cars I bought came with wheel locks supplied by the dealer an no extra cost. Once, I spotted a charge on the invoice for the locks. I told the guy I didn't want locks; take them off. He just shrugged, crossed out the line and wrote n/c next to it.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I bought the Canadian tire locking nuts for $20 so far so good.

Someone else was going to buy an Accord did you buy? How much?
long
Contributor
Contributor

Post by long »

Thegipper wrote:... just completed a 2600 mile trip through the US ...
[Not sure my question belongs to this thread, anyway - ]
Just curious how long was your trip, where did you go in US.
We learn from history that we do not learn from history
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

long wrote:
Thegipper wrote:... just completed a 2600 mile trip through the US ...
[Not sure my question belongs to this thread, anyway - ]
Just curious how long was your trip, where did you go in US.
The trip was from Weslaco TX to Calgary via Saskatoon.
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

Autopilot Tesla drove into white tractor trailer because its sensor couldn't tell the difference between the white wall and the bright sky... Now that's going to be a very expensive car for the self piloting vehicle industry. Especially for those of us in parts of the world where the roads and sky turn totally white sometimes, it makes us not very keen to turn control of the car over to snow blind sensors. Hard to imagine that they hired all of their engineers out of the tropics!
suzy
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

ISTM self-driving vehicles can only be fully functional in ideal conditions. Never mind snow and ice on the road. How about all that dirty sand after winter and/or loss of lane markings? How about lack of lane marking after asphalt re-topping? Or scarfed pavement awaiting the paver? Or substantial water puddles on the road? Hydroplaning anyone?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

ISTM self-driving vehicles can only be fully functional in ideal conditions
Or over some type of inductive or magnetic lane marker, which would not be practical unless you could paint it on.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones