Alternative to amazon.com?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Alternative to amazon.com?

Post by Bylo Selhi »

newguy wrote:Just checked, there's at least 10 copies of the br version available as a torrent.
It wasn't worth the time I wasted downloading/watching the DVD version to be worth downloading again to watch at BR resolution even if it's free (and if I had a BR player.) I'm glad I didn't waste even more time and money to watch it at a theatre. But yes, because of DRM and region coding, a lot of this stuff is available on BT even before you can buy it at a store.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
newguy wrote:Just checked, there's at least 10 copies of the br version available as a torrent.
It wasn't worth the time I wasted downloading/watching the DVD version
:shock: I hope that's sarcasm, and you meant it was the best movie ever. Maybe you should go see the 3D version, hurry before it's too late.

newguy
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Shakespeare wrote:De gustibus non est disputandum.
quisnam bylo vel mihi?

novus guy
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Either or both. I haven't seen the movie and at this point don't intend to.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

The BR plays on our player after the firmware upgrade. Its really slow to load, takes forever, and I haven't found a way to get on the scence titles that keep showing up along the bottom of the screen every 60 seconds or so.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

newguy wrote:
Bylo Selhi wrote:
It wasn't worth the time I wasted downloading/watching the DVD version
:shock: I hope that's sarcasm, and you meant it was the best movie ever. Maybe you should go see the 3D version, hurry before it's too late.

newguy
I saw Avatar on an IMAX screen in 3D, and it's definitely one movie I would never want to see again. It's only saving grace was the 3D, and that's about it. Otherwise, and I'm well aware I'm in the minority, I thought it was an awful plot with acting to forget. For science fiction, I would take the recent Star Trek or District 9 over Avatar, any day.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Taggart wrote:I saw Avatar on an IMAX screen in 3D, and it's definitely one movie I would never want to see again. It's only saving grace was the 3D, and that's about it. Otherwise, and I'm well aware I'm in the minority, I thought it was an awful plot with acting to forget.
Of course. It was the 3D in IMAX that made it what it was. People will be disappointed in the DVD version on any size of home screen.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
investnoob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by investnoob »

I just wanted to let people know I've never bought anything from the bookdepository. I've only browsed it.

Shipping is free, but not sure if Canadian customs will charge duties. Anyone know? Just wanted to point that out.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

investnoob wrote:Shipping is free, but not sure if Canadian customs will charge duties. Anyone know?
There's no duty on books. There's no tax on packages valued at under CA$20. Above that threshold customs has discretion and will often let stuff in, especially if it's small and/or near the threshold. If you are taxed, then it depends on the jurisdiction. GST for all. PST in provinces where it's applied, i.e. not in AB or (for another 2 months) ON. And HST if your province has joined that bandwagon.

IOW YMMV ;)
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

investnoob wrote: Shipping is free,
Double-check. Often US websites that tout free shipping limit that to the continental US. One "free shipping" website wanted to charge me $25 to send an item (vintage magazine) to Canada. :cry:
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

brucecohen wrote:
investnoob wrote: Shipping is free,
Double-check. Often US websites that tout free shipping limit that to the continental US. One "free shipping" website wanted to charge me $25 to send an item (vintage magazine) to Canada. :cry:
Investnoob's post was with respect to The BookDepository where shipping is free (well actually it's included in the quoted price).
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a "rough" idea of how much I would be charged for shipping and duty into Canada, if I order a U.S. $73 camcorder from amazon.com?
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Amazon will provide shipping costs.
You rarely pay "duties" on small value items - although typically you should if the item was not manufactured in North America.
GST & PST / HST apply on full cost if cost > C$20.
Some companies (dunno about Amazon) are registered with ?CRA? and can collect taxes at source. This is not too common - but it should eliminate brokerage fees?
Brokerage fees for the shipper to pass your shipment through Customs depend who you ship with. At UPS and some other couriers, the brokerage fees can easily approach 50% of the value. Brokerage at the Post Office should be $5 - and only applies if taxes are due.
Lots of previous discussions on international shipping - I'd never use UPS for a shipment of this value.
Peter

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

pmj wrote:Some companies (dunno about Amazon) are registered with ?CRA? and can collect taxes at source. This is not too common - but it should eliminate brokerage fees?
It doesn't necessarily eliminate them. But instead of getting raped by the importing broker (hello UPS!) the vendor has a volume shipping agreement in which all costs, taxes, duty, shipping, brokerage, etc. are calculated by the vendor and paid by the buyer at time of purchase. This not only minimizes these costs but also avoids nasty surprises at the customer's door. Although I haven't bought from amazon.com since they introduced pre-clearance (because at least on books the bottom line is now usually lower from amazon.ca) I recall seeing something about their bottom line at checkout is only an estimate that will be adjusted (up or down) as the order is processed.

Amazingly enough, even the masters of the brokerage fee retail rape extortion racket, UPS, are quite reasonable when the seller prepays. I've received all sorts of packages from TigerDirect.ca and Newegg.ca that were shipped from the US but arrived at my door without any additional fees. Ditto for LL Bean although I don't recall if they use UPS. If you deal frequently with a US seller who doesn't have such an arrangement, it's worth lobbying them. Tell them that UPS' brokerage fees can easily approach 50% of the value of their merchandise and that therefore you'll no longer do business with that merchant is a good start. I've even seen posts on the Internet that say some merchants have been been so embarrassed by the UPS racket that they've refunded their fees to the customer.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

PMJ & Bylo,

Thanks for the replies. After thinking it through, and with the extra costs (some perhaps hidden), it wouldn't seem be so much of a bargain. I'll keep an eye out for a sale here in Canada instead.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

As a clarification - I wasn't referring to the wrap-up of shipping, taxes, brokerage fees, etc - which I have seen several times - but to US businesses that are registered with CRA and have GST account numbers, etc. So there's no brokerage action required. I've only seen one example - the American Concrete Institute - which might have this facility because it also has Canadian operations. ISTM that if this facility is generally available, it would be the ideal model for US businesses that _want_ to do business with Canadian residents.
Peter

Clock Watcher
Contributor
Contributor

Re-routing services

Post by Clock Watcher »

Has any one tried one of the re-routing services in the U.S.?. Amazon.com (or others) would ship to a street address, and they would repackage it for shipment to a Canadian address. It is outrageous for amazon.com to charge $8 + clearance costs to ship one Blu-Ray disc to Canada.

I am also looking into a Panasonic home projector, where there is a large premium in Canada (approximately $1,500 higher). Panasonic is prohibiting their U.S. retailers from shipping to Canada. I am considering a re-routing service for this.
bwalter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bwalter »

I've never tried a re-routing service. I live close enough to the border that I've used shipping depots in the US which accept and store packages for you until you pick them up. They charge a minimal fee, usually under $2 USD/package for smaller packages and very reasonable even for bigger items like tires. When the package arrives, they notify you or you can tell based on the tracking info, and then drive down to pick it up and clear customs yourself. Only an option if you live close to the border though.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Google

Post by CROCKD »

edited
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Zappos (the shoe store subsidiary of Amazon) will stop shipping to Canada as of April Fool's Day. See: http://canada.zappos.com/

Is this an omen of what's going to be in store (or rather, no longer in store) for Canadian shoppers at other foreign e-commerce sites?
Benchwarmer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Benchwarmer »

bwalter wrote:I've never tried a re-routing service. I live close enough to the border that I've used shipping depots in the US which accept and store packages for you until you pick them up. They charge a minimal fee, usually under $2 USD/package for smaller packages and very reasonable even for bigger items like tires. When the package arrives, they notify you or you can tell based on the tracking info, and then drive down to pick it up and clear customs yourself. Only an option if you live close to the border though.
Can anyone recommend a parcel-forwarding service? There are quite a few items I want to order from amazon.com, so the savings are worth the effort.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Zappos (the shoe store subsidiary of Amazon) will stop shipping to Canada as of April Fool's Day. Is this an omen of what's going to be in store (or rather, no longer in store) for Canadian shoppers at other foreign e-commerce sites?
Not according to LL Bean:

BTW Eddie Bauer and Land's End, both competitors of LL Bean, have also announced free shipping to Canada with no minimums, however, those offers are for a limited time.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Alternative to amazon.com? Google anyone?

Post by kcowan »

Alternative to amazon.com? Google anyone?
Excerpt:
Increased competition wrote:Research firm Forrester reported that 30 percent of U.S. online shoppers in the third quarter began researching their purchase on Amazon.com, compared with 13 percent who started on a search engine such as Google - a reversal from two years earlier when search engines were more popular starting points.

Amazon now sells ads that show up to the side of product search results on its website. There were 6.7 billion display ad impressions on Amazon.com in the third quarter, more than triple the number in the same period of 2011, according to comScore.

That early success is a "huge concern" for Google, whose business relies heavily on product searches and product search ads, said Macquarie Research analyst Ben Schachter.

Partly in response, Google recently revamped its product search service, Google Shopping, by charging retailers and other online sellers a fee to be listed in results.
The whole article is a worthwhile read. It also highlights the challenges Google is finding with mobile ads.
For the fun of it...Keith
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Zappos (the shoe store subsidiary of Amazon) will stop shipping to Canada as of April Fool's Day. See: http://canada.zappos.com/
Is this an omen of what's going to be in store (or rather, no longer in store) for Canadian shoppers at other foreign e-commerce sites?
This has been the case for a long time, depending on what and from whom you are buying. Amazon has many sub-vendors and it depends on the policy of the individual store. Many Amazon stores just will not ship to Canada. Perhaps even more soon?
? :( They seem to have relaxed this somewhat, but no hard and fast rules. It's the couriers' fees that kill us, not duties and taxes.

I recently wanted to buy a Playbook Travel rapid charger. $79.95 at FS, so bought through Amazon.com for $15.88 plus $8.95 "Standard Shipping" from a vendor called SF Planet. I mistakenly assumed it would be by mail because quoted delivery was about 2 weeks. Then I found it would be by DHL Global Mail.

From what I have read, added costs for brokerage, fees, tax through DHL GM could be about same as if shipment was by Fedex or other couriers even although final delivery will likely be by Canada Post. In this case because of low value, probably OK, but this sort of thing can bite you when ordering from USA.

Usually (slipped this time), I check and only buy if shipment will be by USPS. Once or twice I have had items shipped to border for pickup, but only large items with low USA shipping charges.