how do you guys negotiate with car salesman to buy new car?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: how do you guys negotiate with car salesman to buy new car?

Post by pmj »

Check https://ca.cargurus.com/ - it provides "Instant Market Values" based on vehicles for sale in its database. The algorithm seems to address age, km, option level, etc.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

The original question relates to a new car. Unless you have money to burn, and you want to save some money, I would suggest considering a 1-2 year old vehicle. Still under warranty and save yourself 20-30% immediately. the first 2 years of depreciation is horrendous anyway so you should be happy to let someone else enjoy that experience.
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

optionable68 wrote:The original question relates to a new car. Unless you have money to burn, and you want to save some money, I would suggest considering a 1-2 year old vehicle. Still under warranty and save yourself 20-30% immediately. the first 2 years of depreciation is horrendous anyway so you should be happy to let someone else enjoy that experience.
Sounds good but can't be done on a Honda or Toyota unless there are some special circumstances, rebuild, dec of some sort, flood car etc.. A dealer will pay me more for my Honda then the 20% off you suggest. Just buy new and save yourself some time and aggravation and get 3 years plus of worry free driving with 3 oil changes.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Agree with Brian that certain makes and models of vehicles depreciate so little that a new purchase with all of its warranty is the better buy.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

I've had 4 Toyota's. I'd agree theres usually no magic 2 year deal. I did get a decent demo once, 2 new, only 1 used three years old. Worth looking for the exception to thr rule but I've found i could get a fresh unsquashed seat that way.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I've never found a used Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura in great condition that could be bought much below list price of a new vehicle. Certain other models of vehicles from other manufacturers follow a similar pattern, but not many. And to think I've never owned a Honda product and have only owned one Toyota product in my lifetime. Something wrong with that picture me thinks.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
optionable68 wrote:The original question relates to a new car. Unless you have money to burn, and you want to save some money, I would suggest considering a 1-2 year old vehicle. Still under warranty and save yourself 20-30% immediately. the first 2 years of depreciation is horrendous anyway so you should be happy to let someone else enjoy that experience.
Sounds good but can't be done on a Honda or Toyota unless there are some special circumstances, rebuild, dec of some sort, flood car etc.. A dealer will pay me more for my Honda then the 20% off you suggest. Just buy new and save yourself some time and aggravation and get 3 years plus of worry free driving with 3 oil changes.
Your cautionary words are prudent, however IMO "3 plus years of worry free driving" is no guarantee. There are ways to get piece of mind with a pre-owned vehicle. The last 2 cars I purchased were 2 year old Toyota's with under 30,000 kms. Both were 30% below new prices (ie better than 3 oil changes). Both had clean Carfax histories and immaculate maintenance records. Both were still under warranty. Had my trusted mechanic take a visual look under the hood and a VIN search for $50 to let me know if there was any sign of "special circumstances". My current one a 2008 and have never had a repair bill over $100, aside from brakes during the last 7 years. I guess to each his own.
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Both were 30% below new prices
There's always exceptions to the rule and a few deals out there.

30% off what "New Price", mine with tax lists out at about $39,000 MSRP 30% off that price/or without tax calculate anyway you want is less then wholesale in BC.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

One thing to keep in mind is that the average car buyer is at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to dealing with a salesman.

The average buyer negotiates every 3 or 4 years, has little training and is prone to making emotional decisions.

The average salesperson negotiates 3 or 4 times a day, has probably had some training along with whatever experience and has his emotions controlled by the sales manager.

Do your research, know how much you are willing to pay, make an offer and be willing to walk away.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Or use a car buying service which may be able to get significant discounts on domestics, but very little on imports.

Spring is here (well not quite in the Okanagan) and car fever is returning for its annual run. But my 10-11 hr old Infiniti M is not yet missing a beat. What to do.... Taking a liking to the new Porsche Panameras.... To borrow a phrase from George, better go lie down until the feeling goes away.
cashinstinct
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cashinstinct »

I bought a 2011 Rav4 in the end of 2015, around 33,000 km, automatic, AWD, leather seats, sunroof... around $19k before taxes, which would have been around 35k new before taxes?

Did nothing except a break job for now.

There are savings with Honda / Toyota even if they are used, at the end of leases.

Maybe not a 2 year car, but for a 3-4 year car, there are still good savings.

____

In 2010 I bought a 2006 Elantra because the savings were great for used model, but when I shop in 2016 for the same model, the price was up significantly for 3-4 year used ones ... very similar to Corolla/Civic price territory.

____

Therefore, how do you negotiate a new car? buy a used one :rofl:
kombat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kombat »

cashinstinct wrote:Therefore, how do you negotiate a new car? buy a used one :rofl:
Agreed, 100%.

I'm always amused when I see threads like this, asking "How do I save money on a new car?" If you were really worried about overpaying for a car, you wouldn't be buying "new" in the first place. Buy used instead, and worry about overpaying by a few hundred, instead of buying new and overpaying by thousands.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I bought a 2011 Rav4 in the end of 2015, around 33,000 km, automatic, AWD, leather seats, sunroof... around $19k before taxes, which would have been around 35k new before taxes?

Did nothing except a break job for now.

There are savings with Honda / Toyota even if they are used, at the end of leases.

Maybe not a 2 year car, but for a 3-4 year car, there are still good savings.
So now we are comparing 4-5 year old cars to new, if you bought at end of 2015 a 2011 may be 5 years old :roll: This is a nice vehicle last year for the JBL and V6 IIRC.

Depending on which province you bought this in at a quick glance - you bought a 5 year old vehicle at FULL dealer retail (Check VMR $19275, I used the top vehicle, LTD, loaded), probably no manufacturers warranty with a lease declaration (not something I want YVMV), comparing this to new is not really a fair comparison IMO. Yes you saved some money may have a good running vehicle for many years but comparing a five year old depreciated asset to a new one is a little apples to oranges.
cashinstinct
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cashinstinct »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Depending on which province you bought this in at a quick glance - you bought a 5 year old vehicle at FULL dealer retail .
Yeah, I did not pay a wonderful price, but there are not that many Rav4 with most options available used. They sell quickly if in good condition.

I just wanted to point out that yeah, even cars from Toyota lose value too, it's not like you should absolutely buy them new.

I don't consider that the first 35 000km + 3 year warranty are worth around 16k + taxes (difference between used and new price), that's a lot of money for me.

It's a lifestyle / personal choice, but in a "protecting your money" forum...
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

With the rapid pace that technology is being added to cars, buying a five-year-old car will soon be like buying a five-year-old cell phone. If you like the technology, that is. :wink:
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

I shopped around for my Rav4, and eventually found one with 4000km at a dealership. Saved me several thousand dollars from buying one here- although I did have to put in block heater. ( they actually start quite well without plugging in due to remarkable viscosity of synthetic oils used today...!)
suzy