My dream Retirement watch

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: My dream Retirement watch

Post by newguy »

Koogie wrote:Money doesn't buy class.
In the spirit of rich people are dicks,
rr.jpg
newguy
zeno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zeno »

Koogie wrote:
kcowan wrote:Maybe not just for watches but for sure there is evidence of enjoyment of the finer things that only money can buy in many threads here. :thumbsup:
Don't forget that is demographically related as well as financial. This forum skews old. That's not a bad thing but it does influence threads for luxury items and household expenditures. I gotta admit at my age (41.989) I cannot relate to this watch thing. I'd call them superfluous at best. But then there are people 15 years younger than me that would scoff at my SUV or my 2K mountain bike. C'est la vie.
One thing I like about this forum is that's it's usually pretty tolerant of different spending priorities. Beyond the common sense of living within your means, most people here seem to feel that discretionary spending is, as it should be, at your discretion.

While I personally would never buy an SUV, if you can afford it and it gives you pleasure, it's your money to spend. On the bike, I can completely align. My retirement "watch" will be all carbon, with celeste paint and a big climbing gear on the back so my old legs can spin my way up the hills.
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

Exactly! I think I will save the carbon for my one year retirement anniversary, my present won't have any wheels however...but it will float :thumbsup:
suzy
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

flywaysuzy wrote:Exactly! I think I will save the carbon for my one year retirement anniversary, my present won't have any wheels however...but it will float :thumbsup:
sailwaysuzy? Enjoy it to the full. Send us a picture!

Cheers,
Wallace
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Some hilarious and irreverent comments on designer watch brands. :rofl:
Bankers love watches. They love collecting watches. They love talking about watches. I’ve seen entire groups of analysts head to the nearest Rolex store the day their first bonus hits the account; the Submariner is the official Wall Street starter watch.

To some extent, wearing a Rolex is like driving a BMW 3-series. It says you've got a little bit of money, but nothing interesting to say. It’s a safe, entry-level choice. My starter watch was a Rolex Just Date. It was stolen when I was mugged leaving a bar 3am in London.

Panerai was a mediocre Italian government-contract instrument maker until Rambo came along and made it cool, just as oversized watches were gaining in popularity. It’s an action hero watch for the guys who brag about cheating on their wives.

These watches can be whimsical and fun, especially the Franc Mueller Secret Hour or Crazy Hour. But, if your job ever requires a uniform (a suit) and you don’t even report to the guy who reports to the CEO, you can’t have one. These watches are best left to the RAVs (Russians, Arabs, and Villains).

Apple Watch: STFU.

A Wall Street guide to watches
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Flaccidsteele wrote:Some hilarious and irreverent comments on designer watch brands. :rofl:
Apple Watch: STFU.
Not even in the same category. These people pays 1000s without gold plating in this category! :shock:
For the fun of it...Keith
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Time for forum members to go shopping?
​"Right now we have one, two...10 Rolexes for sale, two Panerais, a few Tag Heuers," said John Sanford, one of the owners of Rocky Mountain Pawn on Macleod Trail, as he counts the luxury watches in a glass case.
Luxury items line shelves in Calgary pawn shops as recession deepens
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

This is what a $10m watch looks like.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Personally I like looking at watches. View them as art. Some are mesmerizing.

This $1.28 Million New Watch Is Made From Transparent Sapphire
An outer tourbillon rotates every four minutes while an inner tourbillon, every 60 seconds. All of this has helped the movement achieve a never-before-seen 915 out of a possible 1,000 points at the International Chronometry Competition.
8Toretirement
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by 8Toretirement »

Wallace wrote:
arthur wrote:Why not buy a used very rare watch, Patek Phillipe or similar, but not a Rolex.
I agree about the Rolex. Almost all their stock is for yaughtsmen, racecar afficionados and divers, with bells and whistles that I would never use. Now I did do a lot of SCUBA diving in my younger days, but in my present dotage I wouldn't have a use for a watch that was waterproof to 400 feet unless I happened to be drowning at the time and even then the last thing on my mind would be to check out the time...

I'm looking for a simple watch that
a. Tells the time
b. Has a LARGE date that I can see
c. Shows some craftsmanship and is unusual enough to attract a bit of attention.

Have a Sinn EZM 13 dive watch. I was in the military so this style appeals to me and the watch will last my lifetime. It's an automatic dive watch. I have another quartz dive watch I actually dive with as diving with an automatic watch increases service costs due to shorter service intervals. Not sure I would buy another automatic watch. Cost of service is very high. If I was to buy another watch I would strongly consider a high end quartz. Tag makes some good ones. For what it's worth, servicing of automatic watches costs about $500-700 every 4-5 years, depending on the watch, use, and what needs to be serviced/repaired.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Did you buy your watch? Which one did you get.

I'm looking at this one right now for my birthday. Seiko SKX007 with an oyster jubilee strap, the Titanium model is a little overkill for me but nice @ $750ish.

$229us in New York may have to take a trip there.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000B5OD4I/ref ... ae7f9be5_S
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

I got a really good price on a Seiko from WatchesZon. Watch ships from Singapore, so you have to be patient.

http://www.watcheszon.com/seiko-mens-sg ... -p-189304/

I didn't find the exact model you want on their website, but there might be something else that appeals to you.

Edit: I found it, but they are out of stock: http://www.watcheszon.com/seiko-mens-sk ... -p-219413/
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Ended up with the Seiko SKX009K2 same as the 007 but with the Pepsi cola bezel, showroomed at the mall and wife liked the Pepsi version better.

$695 reg price at the mall - 30%, through a friend it was 50% off @ $350.

Bought it on Watcheszon as suggested, 7 day shipping from Singapore seemed fast, $250 with exchange $1 insurance, $10 DHL priority shipping included ($175us for just the watch FX was brutal). Then $23 dollars customs and further DHL charges @ $275 Canadian all-in.

So then I took my 16 ounce hammer and took a couple links out of the strap and I have a one year foreign warranty which I think is useless YVMV :roll:
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

Or $269, free shipping on amazon.ca ?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

peter wrote:Or $269, free shipping on amazon.ca ?
Yup, plus tax and duty ($40- $50) and maybe not priority shipping and still maybe useless warranty and no strap adjustment.