Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Post by AltaRed »

After 3 years, the download functions of Quicken cease to work, e.g. updating of prices, quotes, downloads from financial instutions such as banks. But all the other functional aspects of Quicken continue to work for some time an extended period of time (possible issues with new operating systems notwithstanding). For example, I went from Quicken95 (or whatever it was called then) to Quicken 02 to Quicken 07 to Quicken 10.

Another potential issue is when you update from a very old version to a new version, the old database may need to go through an intermediate conversion to get to the latest version. IIRC, when I updated from Q02 to Q07, Q07 first of converted the Q02 database to Q05 version, and then to Q07. I always kept a spare copy of the databases before converting just in case they got corrupted in the conversion.

I called my TFSA another registered (tax free) account (like an RRSP). That is, in fact, what it is, anyway from the purpose of recording transactions.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

AltaRed wrote:Another potential issue is when you update from a very old version to a new version, the old database may need to go through an intermediate conversion to get to the latest version. IIRC, when I updated from Q02 to Q07, Q07 first of converted the Q02 database to Q05 version, and then to Q07. I always kept a spare copy of the databases before converting just in case they got corrupted in the conversion.
One more conversion is needed to get to Q11, at least from Q09. It merges QDF, IDX, HCX and QEL files into a single QDF.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

I am using Quicken 2003.

In Linux Ubuntu I have installed GnuCash to try it out. Apparently I can import my Quicken files as long as they are in QIF (Quicken Interchange Format).

Can anyone tell me how or even if I can get my files in this format.
Under Quicken files I see .QDF, .QEL, .QPH, .QSD,and .QTX.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Looks like Q11 isn't rolling off the shelves as fast as Intuit might like. It didn't take them long to cut the price some more. From an e-mail I just got:

1 Based on aggregate retail software sales for desktop personal finance software as sourced by NPD from June 2009 through June 2010.
2 Online features require Internet access and are subject to change. Available only through supporting Canadian financial institutions. For a listing of financial institutions compatible with Quicken, visit quicken.ca/support. Services vary among participating financial institutions or other parties and may be subject to application approval, additional terms, conditions and fees.
3 Offer valid from December 26, 2010 - January 6, 2011. Offer dates vary by retailer.
4 Up to 55% off of retail MSRP of $109.99.
5 Actual retail price may vary.
* Once Quicken has been installed, access the sales tax code list & select HST, verify & edit the rate if necessary. Use your HST tax code for your invoices.
I've been to local Best Buy, Future Shop, and Staples stores, all out of stock. It's OOS at BB and Stooples' sites too. Ended up ordering online at futureshop.ca. For those who want to buy it at discount hurry to futureshop.ca.
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

max88 wrote:I've been to local Best Buy, Future Shop, and Staples stores, all out of stock. It's OOS at BB and Stooples' sites too. Ended up ordering online at futureshop.ca. For those who want to buy it at discount hurry to futureshop.ca.
It's also not been available on either the Office Depot or amazon.ca websites since the offer began.

ISTM that Intuit has screwed up big time:

1. Q11 for Canada was delayed. Each year's edition usually comes out in September. This year it wasn't launched until December. This is probably related to the "improved" user interface that's more Minty and (my suspicion also more buggy than usual.)

2. They offered the upgrade to Q11 to existing customers earlier in December at a much smaller discount than they're offering it to anyone now post-Christmas. That's sure to piss off anyone who paid more then $50.

3. They don't seem to have any inventory in the stores or online, not even at the stores featured in their promo. That's got to be embarrassing to all parties involved.

4. Their website continues to tout the promo with no indication that there are any supply SNAFUs or that they'll extend the promo until product becomes available.

I suspect that the Minty improvements in Q11 are very buggy and so they're stalling on shipping out of fear that they'll leave a rather bitter taste in the mouths of customers.

But regardless, they missed out on the Christmas shopping frenzy. I imagine none of this can be going over very well at Intuit HQ.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Re my previous question I found out how to prepare QIF files from Quicken from a description on the internet. I have successfully imported a QIF file into GnuCash in Linux Ubuntu. Now I am playing around with it and learning how to navigate. Always good to know there are alternatives and not be stuck on Intuit's tit forever.
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

CROCKD: I believe that the procedure is that you create a .qif for each Quicken account? Do the new accounts in GnuCash created from these .qifs record the historic transfers between accounts as "live" records that could be edited - and then properly reflected in both accounts - or are the transfers now "dead" - and thus subject to the creation of errors if one were to be edited?
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

pmj:
On the basis of playing with GnuCash for a while this afternoon, I transferred a file which has bank accounts and expenses as a QIF file with multiple accounts rather than individual accounts QIF files as I started out to do when I noticed an option in the Drop Down menu which said 'all accounts'. They all transferred fine and GnuCash recognised what sort of accounts they were. Now I am learning to navigate around the menus reading the guide as I go. Some reorganisation will be necessary to group all my expense categories together.
The accounts are a snapshot in time at the moment of transfer. As far as I can tell they are alive in as much as changes can be made in the register for each account just as in Quicken. Of course as both programs are separate if you start to make entries in one you would have to make the same entry in the other for them to have identical information. Realistically you would use either one or the other. My motivation was to learn how to use GnuCash and see if it could be of use in the future and to be able to use a financial program in a Linux based OS (Ubuntu)

I use Quicken 2003 and find it sufficient for my needs as I don't download anything. A printout of the Stocklist and Fundlist from GlobeInvestor once a week with closing prices is all I need. It takes me about 10 minutes to enter the information in Quicken after which I do a weekly backup. Before that I believe I had Quicken95.
Last edited by CROCKD on 03 Jan 2011 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

CROCKD:
Thanks for the info. I'm still using Quicken99 - which is also fine for my needs - and I can still download data into it from my TD chequing account. But not from any other accounts (TD Visa worked until mid-2000s), and I can't add any accounts. I bring in stock prices once a month from GlobeInvestor via a .csv file.

I also have a Ubuntu-based system, and my IT staff (2 sons!) has worked long and hard to get me to change over. Quicken has always been the obstacle - so any info on GnuCash from someone making the change would be most helpful....

I didn't realize that a .qif could hold more than one account. I don't know whether that is the critical issue - to me the critical issue is whether GnuCash sees Quicken's distinction between a payment to an external party and a payment/transfer to another account - I'd assume that GnuCash has such a distinction itself - but does it see Quicken's distinction?
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

pmj:

I'm not sure how to answer your question as I am in the early stages of navigating my way around GnuCash and have a lot to learn about it.

Looking at the register for my personal chequing account at the credit union which is the one I mostly use, although I have others eg PC, TD, I see transfers in eg. CPP from Gov't of Canada as a deposit and withdrawals for transfers out such as cheque payment with cheque no, in the Num field, and electronic payments such as Toronto Hydro with EFT shown in the Num field. There is also a field R showing whether the item has been Reconciled with entry y or n.

Another possibilty for a financial program to run in Linux is Moneydance but I did not want to pay for it although I think you maybe able to get a free download of the 2010 version.

MONEYDANCE

I went for GnuCash because it's part of the Open source community.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

For those using Linux based systems, you might want to check out BeanCounter portfolio performance toolkit. I've got it running on a CentOS server (my file server on the home LAN). I've played briefly with the portfolio management, but have instead chosen to write a perl script to extract price data from the MySQL database into a .csv file that can be imported into Quicken.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

I really appreciate this thread as I'm still trying to decide what to do.

I have Q2005 and when I reinstalled on my new Windows 7 computer the program wouldn't accept the registration. But it runs fine and since my download capabilities are long gone, I didn't care that it wasn't fully registered since I didn't need to check for updates because Intuit doesn't support the program anyway.

But it seems to be unstable and crashes when the software tries to check for an update. I don't lose any data so this isn't a problem, just an irritant. So I considered upgrading.

The Q2011 doesn't sound all that stable so I'm hesitating and the last thing I need is conversion trouble.

So I'm sitting on the fence. I was waiting to buy Q2011 plus Turbo Tax (basically getting TurboTax for free and I'd be buying that anyway.) But that hasn't come out and this sale is better. I guess for $50 I can try and find the program (when I've looked online I couldn't find anyone selling it, either and I'm not about to drive around looking for it.)
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I'm still using Quicken 2007 and have no intention of updating. If you have put data into Quicken Home Inventory it will be lost because the newer versions do not support it from my understanding. I do not trust download updates and do all my input manually.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Dennis wrote:I do not trust download updates and do all my input manually.
What exactly don't you trust, and why? Is it downloads from financial institutions, or stock price updates, or both?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I don't want to take a chance, any chance, of my data being corrupted (and yes, I do have everything backed up).
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

I ordered from Future Shop this morning. It isn't in stock but they'll ship when it is. Staples and Best Buy simply wouldn't let me order. Time is not of the essence so I can wait and if there's an updated (bug fixed) version being developed that explains why no-one has it in stock, then I'll get that.

When I moved all my data over from XP to Win 7, all my stock price history didn't get moved over and all my stocks show a value of 0. At least with the new version, there will be some stock prices automatically entered. I don't know if it will recreate the history since I bought the stock but at least I won't have to manually update each stock each month. At least for a few more years until Q2011 is no longer current.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Jack's Girl wrote:if there's an updated (bug fixed) version being developed that explains why no-one has it in stock, then I'll get that.
Updates would most likely be handled after the original installation from the CD (just like most other software programs). Both Q07 and Q10 versions had an update (or two) after original launch.
I don't know if it will recreate the history since I bought the stock
To some extent, yes. Probably depends on the source database Quicken contracts with.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

A further report on GnuCash (Linux based program) for anyone interested as I get to understand it better. The items I had as categories eg. groceries, personal care etc. in Quicken are accounts in GnuCash. This is because of the double entry accounting system that it is based upon. All transactions have to have money coming from somewhere and going to somewhere.
So far I have only looked at bank accounts, term deposits and deposits and expenses.

I have a separate Quicken file with all my investment history, non registered and registered going back to mid 1992. So next I am going to prepare a QIF file and transfer it into GnuCash and play with it.

Further reports shall be posted.
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

CROCKD, thank you for being the guinea pig for all of us looking to release ourselves from Intuit's grip.
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

My cheap copy of Quicken Home and Business arrived a few weeks ago. I finally got the nerve to install it on Thursday.

The first warning that came up was that I'd have to delete the invest and RRSP accounts in my existing copy. There was a link to a page of instructions on the Intuit site. I backed up as they told me to, opened Quicken 2005, deleted the accounts that would cause the problem, as per the instructions, and then continue to load Quicken 2011, which wipes out Quicken 2005.

The file conversion happened automatically when I opened up the software. All the accounts that I hadn't deleted were there but there was no magic recovery of the investment or RRSP accounts. Since I had bought the software specifically to be able to track my investments and I didn't fancy entering them all by hand, I immediately deleted the converted data files, moved the backup copy of my Q2005 data files onto my computer (I had backed them up onto a removable hard drive so Q2011 couldn't touch them at all) and reran the conversion software.

Presto, magico, up came all my accounts, just as they were under Q2005.

I had the presence of mind to not believe the install process instructions so turned off my wireless radio (therefore disconnecting myself from the internet so no registration of the install would take place.) I didn't register the install until I knew for sure that my data had made it through the file conversion. I didn't want to lose the chance to do another install if the first was faulty. But a reconversion of my data was all that was required.

After registering, I updated stock prices and that made the data better than under Q2005 (which stopped updating stock prices years ago.)

I hadn't reconciled any statements since June 2010 so I went through that painstaking process over the next few days. The update process was a bit over-zealous and it entered stock splits that I'd already entered, resulting in a significant overstatement of my holdings but as I reconciled each stock against my statements, those mistakes were found and repaired. I hope.

There were other mistakes too, but those turned out to be on my side, not the conversion.

I had bought a new laptop in September and Q2005 wasn't very stable under Windows 7 so that was my other reason for upgrading the software. I never lost data when the program crashed but the crashes were always unsettling. Having two laptops meant I was able to have two laptops side by side, each running a different version of Quicken to double check when mistakes appeared. That was invaluable to me but not necessarily a practical solution for most people upgrading.

I still haven't done regular data entry of credit card expenses but all the entries I had previously entered appear to be there. I'll update this post if my next credit card reconcile exposes more data conversion problems.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

14 months ago, I wrote:My Quicken reports are the Bible for tax reporting. I'm using an ancient version of Quicken, but I doubt this area has changed in more recent versions.

Basically, the question is how to "properly" record a superficial loss. Say you have 1000 shares of ABC with a cost base of $10k. For simplicity, I'm assuming $0 commissions on transactions. On December 4, you sell for all your stake for $8 / share. Your capital loss is $2k. On December 11, for whatever reason, you decide to buy back 1000 shares for $7.50 / share. The capital loss has become superficial. How do you reconcile your Quicken reports with what you should report on your tax return?

I have two solutions, both of them reporting properly for the current year, and slightly less advantageous to you for future years, but at least CRA can't ask for more (the formula works to their advantage).

Solution 1: Change the December 11 buy to December 3. Change the December 4 sell to use "specific lots" (U.S. method) and adjust the lot numbers until you get a $0 capital gain on the transaction. The remaining shares will have the appropriate cost base so that if you sell them in the future, the correct gain/loss will be calculated.

Solution 2: On December 3, record a fictitious Return of Capital for ABC shares of $2000. This will ensure the December 4 transaction results in no gain/loss. On December 5 (or 12, or any day in between), record a fictitious negative Return of Capital for ABC shares of -$2000. This would restore the proper cash balance and the proper cost base for future sells.

Solution 2 works even if your December 11 buy is for more than $8 (the first solution won't work in that case).
Fast forward to today. After many, many years of procrastination, I've upgraded to the latest and greatest version of Quicken. My issue is that neither of the solutions mentioned above works any more:
#1 was using "sell specific lots" which is not acceptable for Canadian taxes, so there is no UI to enter the info,
#2 makes Quicken choke at the negative Return of Capital.

I've tried adding shares at $1 cost (or whatever) per share and removing them later in order to force the capital losses to zero, but it seems to leave the cost base of remaining shares out of whack. Anyone having another mechanism?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

adrian2 wrote:I've upgraded to the latest and greatest version of Quicken. My issue is that neither of the solutions mentioned above works any more...
A couple of suggestions.
1. Ask for help at Quicken Live Community. I have no idea how effective that will be.
2. Try the US version of Q11. It will be interesting to see if the US version also has a bug with US-style "specific lots." In the past Intuit used to ship both US and Can versions on the same CD and made the country selection an install time option. That seems to no longer be the case. By using the US version you'll lose features that relate to RRSPs and TFSAs, etc. but I doubt that's going to be an issue. You'll also lose the ability to download statements from Canadian financial institutions.
3. Try an older version of Quicken, say Q09 for Can, on the assumption that the bugsissues you're encountering are new with Q11. Note that Q11 files are not backwards compatible.

2. and 3. are readily available via BitTorrent. Although this may seem to involve "piracy" my conscious would be clear since I've already paid Intuit for a license for the Q11 Canadian version and failed to get it to work properly. AFAIK Q09 and Q10 for the US are available as is Q09, but not Q10, for Can.

P.S. I'm not a very happy camper with Q11 either. I'm using a previous version until Intuit makes Q11 useable. If they don't I'll rely on BT for versions of QT that work.
Last edited by Bylo Selhi on 27 Feb 2011 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Bylo Selhi wrote:I'm using a previous version until Intuit makes Q11 useable.
Don't hold your breath, as I discovered with Quicken 2010, not all US bugfix releases are made available to the Canadian version. For Quicken 2010, US is at R9, Canadian is at R2 :evil:

I won't move to Quicken 2011 by policy. Quicken 2011 Release Notes - Quicken® Support indicates US is at R7 while Quicken Product Updates - Quicken® Support | Intuit Canada indicates NO updates yet for the Canadian version. It would be interesting to know what the release number is for Canada.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I'm waiting for Quicken 2011 to arrive in the mail. My previous version, 2007, is not supported by Windows 7 on my new computer. I am going to lose years of input on Quicken home inventory that was part 2007 as well as my previous versions. I have been unable to find any similar program that will import QHI files and work in Windows 7. :(
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

@adrian2: I'm not a Quicken user, but here are a few ideas that may or may not work, or may have bad side effects, or may not apply to your way of doing things.

I see two general issues. The first is reporting the superficial loss, the second is getting the costbase right after the transaction.

About reporting, is it really important to have the costbase/share going into the sale equal to the sale price? It might be if your Quicken output is going directly into a tax program and can't be edited. OTOH, if you can edit what's reported to CRA at the final step, all you need to do is set the costbase of the sold shares equal to the proceeds of disposition by hand "on the tax form", with no kludge needed in Quicken.

Next, if permissible, the amount of the loss can be added to the "costbase of the substitute property" at "some point", so ...

a) Does Quicken support costbase adjustment? (Probably not or you wouldn't be asking about this. :) )

b) If not, you could do a purchase of, say, 1 unit, for a cost equal to the amount of the loss. This would get the costabase right, but you'd have too many units; so then just consolidate back to the right number of units and things should be in order.

Hope that helps, but I realize it may not.