Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Post by AltaRed »

Germack wrote:I own the same stocks in different brokerage accounts.
Out of curiousity, why do you do this? I have only one example of this and that is because I retain a brokerage account in the USA from when I lived there. I have a reminder in Quicken (and elsewhere) about the dual holdings, and keep track of it in the notation.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

AltaRed wrote:
Germack wrote:I own the same stocks in different brokerage accounts.
Out of curiousity, why do you do this? I have only one example of this and that is because I retain a brokerage account in the USA from when I lived there. I have a reminder in Quicken (and elsewhere) about the dual holdings, and keep track of it in the notation.
I started investing with TD, but $29 per trade was too expensive so I opened a second account with Questrade. I never transferred my positions from TD to Questrade because I also own TD index funds which I could not transfer and I did not want to sell them.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:I just received an email response from Intuit Canada,
Intuit Canada Limited e-mail wrote:Thank you for contacting Intuit Canada Limited.

Peculiar_Investor, we are aware of this issue and it has been already reported to the concerned department. Peculiar_Investor, we do apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused but as if now we cannot promise you the exact date when exactly it would be fixed.
My conclusions, based on the e-mail:

a) they know about the bug
b) the workaround is to use the CTRL+Z method
c) they cannot commit to when the problem will be fixed. :evil:
d) they didn't answer the question of why they are 7 bugfix releases behind the US version. :evil:
<RANT>
Just wasted a couple of hours again trying to figure out why my Quicken 2010 Investment Reports didn't agree with my brokerage statements. I shouldn't be required to a) remember then b) follow the above arcane steps each time I reconcile my investment accounts.

I'm very frustrated with Intuit Canada's neglect of their customers.
</RANT>
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Saw a notice in the Usenet group alt.comp.software.financial.quicken that Quicken 2011 has been released in the US on or about October 5th. Generally commentary from existing users is not much new here (hasn't been much new for a long time IMHO). Does anyone have any insight on when it might be available in the Great White North?

Given the grief I've experience with the Investment Account Reconciliation bug in Quicken 2010 (Canadian version) :twisted: , I might be tempted to upgrade just for this bugfix alone.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Given the grief I've experience with the Investment Account Reconciliation bug in Quicken 2010 (Canadian version) :twisted: , I might be tempted to upgrade just for this bugfix alone.
So I should be thankful that I could never find the Quicken 2010 Canadian version via Bit Torrent? :twisted: :lol:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Saw a notice in the Usenet group alt.comp.software.financial.quicken that Quicken 2011 has been released in the US on or about October 5th. Generally commentary from existing users is not much new here (hasn't been much new for a long time IMHO). Does anyone have any insight on when it might be available in the Great White North?
Roseman: Why Mint.com is worth a look
With four million U.S. users, Mint plans to launch in Canada by the end of this year. It’s expanding here first – and later to other English-speaking countries – with new financing and support from its parent company, Intuit Inc.
What's this got to do with Quicken, you ask? Well Intuit now owns both Quicken and Mint. The US version of Q11 is designed to look and feel more like Mint. There's been speculation in the media that Intuit wants to transition Quicken users to Mint ASAP. But first they have to get Mint accepted here in Canada, both by the banks and by users like us. The bolded part of the opening paragraph from this PC Mag piece should make anyone who's ever developed (or even just tried to use) a new or heavily rewritten version of software cringe with fear. Intuit's Quicken 2011 Gets a Minty New Look
Featuring a simplified interface and streamlined setup process, Intuit's new Quicken 2011 money management software goes on sale today. This is the 20th anniversary of Quicken and the 2011 release is perhaps the product's most dramatic overhaul. It now incorporates the design elements, functionality and features of what was once its most aggressive competitor: Mint.com...

Last year, Intuit bought Mint.com and immediately named its founder, Aaron Patzer, vice president and general manager of Intuit's personal finance group. The acquisition is a big reason why Quicken now looks and works more like iTunes than Microsoft Excel.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

should make anyone who's ever developed (or even just tried to use) a new or heavily rewritten version of software cringe with fear.
The first version is almost always a disaster. :roll:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Re Mint.com:

Do you really want this detailed level of your financial life stored in some remote server?
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

I reckon it's time to replace my Quicken 2000. Any suggestions on the best place(s) to buy a new version. I want a CD, not a download. I don't care about not being able to import past data; my accounts and categories need a major cleanup. Thanks
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

1. People have posted in the past that they bought new CDs on eBay at a substantial discount to list price. Make sure you get the Canadian version.
2. The Canadian version of Q11 just came out. You should start to see copies of Q10 on sale in stores (maybe already) as well as used copies on eBay.
3. "Upgrade [to Q11] by December 5, 2010 and get Cash Manager for only $35.99 (regularly $44.99), and Home & Business for $87.99 (regularly $109.99)."

The quote in 3. is from an e-mail I got earlier today. If you follow the link (whose priority code and tracking info I, um, "doctored") the price of Q11 H&B drops down to $65 :shock: :lol: :twisted:

There have been reports that the US version of Q11 is quite buggy in large part because they've made the user interface more "Minty." Otherwise I'd pounce on Q11 H&B for $65. If you get Q10, even half price at ~$50, you get only 2 years out of its 3 year life for online banking and securities price downloads, so it may be worth gambling on Q11 and hope they soon issue updates to fix the bugs.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

The link took me to a page offering a download version for $65. Do you know if their download offers a way to load to a 2nd computer? Or, if I download to a flash key, would I be able to install on a 2nd computer?
If you get Q10, even half price at ~$50, you get only 2 years out of its 3 year life for online banking and securities price downloads, so it may be worth gambling on Q11 and hope they soon issue updates to fix the bugs.
Q10 would be fine. I don't download. Based on what I've read here about the aggro people have had over the years, I don't find it onerous to do that manually.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

brucecohen wrote:Do you know if their download offers a way to load to a 2nd computer? Or, if I download to a flash key, would I be able to install on a 2nd computer?
I've been able to do so in the past with versions up to Q09, which is the latest I have.

I install new versions on a different computer, copy data files from my primary computer, verify that everything works, then install the new version on my primary computer. I've never had problems with that. I later delete the copy on the test computer but I keep several copies of the download file on different media in case I should need to reinstall Quicken on a replaced hard disk or on a new computer.

I suppose you could e-mail Intuit to ask them to confirm that you can install on more than one PC.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bylo Selhi wrote:
brucecohen wrote:Do you know if their download offers a way to load to a 2nd computer? Or, if I download to a flash key, would I be able to install on a 2nd computer?
I've been able to do so in the past with versions up to Q09, which is the latest I have.

I install new versions on a different computer, copy data files from my primary computer, verify that everything works, then install the new version on my primary computer. I've never had problems with that. I later delete the copy on the test computer but I keep several copies of the download file on different media in case I should need to reinstall Quicken on a replaced hard disk or on a new computer.

I suppose you could e-mail Intuit to ask them to confirm that you can install on more than one PC.
From the Q 2010 Help (my bold) you are good for 2 computers in the same household,
License Terms and Restrictions
A. License Grant for Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to use a copy of the Software on up to two (2) computers used by a single household. You may make one (1) backup copy of the Software for your own use. You may transfer your rights in the Software to a third party, or sell the computer on which the Software is installed to a third party, provided you do not keep a copy of the Software for yourself and you or the subsequent Licensee complete a Transfer Agreement from Intuit Canada, which will allow the subsequent Licensee to assume your rights as a Licensee of the Software. You may obtain a copy of the Transfer Agreement from Intuit Canada by calling 1-888-829-8684.

brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Great! I'll buy the download. Thank you both.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

I know that Dragon NaturallySpeaking sends a message to Nuance every time it is installed and Nuance increments a count. If the count goes over the limit, you're in trouble. If you want to reinstall Windows and all applications, you should uninstall Dragon first to decrement the count. Otherwise, you'll eventually exceed the limit.

I don't know if Quicken works this way or not.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

DenisD wrote:If the count goes over the limit, you're in trouble... I don't know if Quicken works this way or not.
Nope. (Although they did back in the "XG" days circa 2003 to 2006.) But all sorts of other stuff, from Windows, MS Office, Adobe, to QuickTax (soon to be TurboTax) all use some variant of this copy protection technique to some extent or another.
skepticus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skepticus »

CROCKD ASKD:
Do you really want this detailed level of your financial life stored in some remote server?
No, I don't.

Evidently, though, the lack of response to this question indicates CROCKD and I might be in the minority. I'd be interested in hearing why people don't seem concerned.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

skepticus wrote:Evidently, though, the lack of response to this question indicates CROCKD and I might be in the minority. I'd be interested in hearing why people don't seem concerned.
Ask the millions of people who already do this in Utopia South via Mint.

I haven't responded yet because I'm torn between what my gut tells me and what Mint's foray into Canada, endorsed by all the big banks (except for CIBC, whose judgement I trust the least), is trying to tell me.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

skepticus wrote:CROCKD ASKD:
No, I don't.

Evidently, though, the lack of response to this question indicates CROCKD and I might be in the minority. I'd be interested in hearing why people don't seem concerned.
As a general principle I like to be control of my own data and keep as little in the "cloud" as possible. I don't foresee moving to the Mint model until Intuit doesn't give me a choice. That said, in reality with online banking and online brokerages, most of my financial life is already stored in remote servers.

IIRC this issue has been discussed before although a quick search didn't reveal the link to the discussion.

IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

skepticus wrote:CROCKD ASKD:
No, I don't.

There is no way in holy heck I would go for that model. It's not only that it's another place the info could be insecure, but becoming beholden to them with a large amount of data that would be, over time, horribly tedious to re-create elsewhere, if for some reason access in a suitable form became impossible.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Looks like Q11 isn't rolling off the shelves as fast as Intuit might like. It didn't take them long to cut the price some more. From an e-mail I just got:

1 Based on aggregate retail software sales for desktop personal finance software as sourced by NPD from June 2009 through June 2010.
2 Online features require Internet access and are subject to change. Available only through supporting Canadian financial institutions. For a listing of financial institutions compatible with Quicken, visit quicken.ca/support. Services vary among participating financial institutions or other parties and may be subject to application approval, additional terms, conditions and fees.
3 Offer valid from December 26, 2010 - January 6, 2011. Offer dates vary by retailer.
4 Up to 55% off of retail MSRP of $109.99.
5 Actual retail price may vary.
* Once Quicken has been installed, access the sales tax code list & select HST, verify & edit the rate if necessary. Use your HST tax code for your invoices.
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

Probably a stupid question. I am trying to figure out my rate of returns of my stocks in Quicken.

In 2008 I bought stocks worth $106,962.74. The market value of these stocks on Dec 31st was 79,918.89. Quicken now calculates the average rate of return with -50.06%.
http://img543.imageshack.us/i/stocks2008.png/

Should it not be -25%? What am I missing?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Quicken annualizes the rate of return. You didn't buy $106k worth of stock on Jan 1, 2008, i.e. you bought it at various times during the year.. Example: Purchase $50k of stock on July 1. Stock is worth $37.5k on Dec 31st. Rate of return is -25% for 6 months, or -50% annualized.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

Question: Do I have to get newer version every year in order to continue to use? Or can I use older version until it's outdated, e.g. TFSA is missing in 2008? I have been using Excel to track everything, want to give quicken a try.
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
Rysto
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rysto »

You can continue to use an older version. Some features probably won't work right, like the tax planner, but all in all it will work just fine. I've been getting by with a version of Quicken that doesn't know what a TFSA is, although I think that I'll end up picking up Quicken 2011 at that price.