Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
voltaire
Contributor
Contributor

Problems entering a stock split in Quicken

Post by voltaire »

Just wondering how you enter a stock split in quicken xg? For the love of god I've tried so many times and have made no headway. It was when XIC split 3 for 1 on August 8th. I had 378 shares. I enter the transaction date as aug8, xic, 3 new shares, 1 for old shares. What I end up with is 1134 when I actually should have 1512. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

voltaire wrote:when XIC split 3 for 1 on August 8th
Oh?

From Barclays Global Investors announces unit split affecting certain iShares Funds:

Code: Select all

Fund Name                                       Ticker Split
iShares CDN S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index Fund XIC      4:1
iShares CDN S&P/TSX 60 Index Fund               XIU      4:1

1512/378 = 4 => 4:1 split.

Last edited by Bylo Selhi on 19 Nov 2008 16:46, edited 2 times in total.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
gummy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gummy »

I had a similar problem with another piece of software.
I wound up pretending to sell all my shares at the old price and buying 3x the number of shares at the lower price.
The software didn't even blink an eye.
Mebbe because it was a spreadsheet I wrote meself. :lol:
voltaire
Contributor
Contributor

Post by voltaire »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
voltaire wrote:when XIC split 3 for 1 on August 8th
1512/378 = 4 => 4:1 split.

Thank you very much, eternally grateful :)
Icarus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Icarus »

I have Quicken 2006 and I'm getting a warning that on May 31 I'm not going to be able to update bank accounts, stock quotes, etc. Do they flip the switch on May 31, or does it take some time? If the latter, is it weeks, months or years.

You think you're buying a program, but really you're just buying a license for a few years!
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise, they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Icarus wrote:You think you're buying a program, but really you're just buying a license for a few years!
That's always the case with all prepackaged software. You never own the software. All you've purchased is a license to use the software for a specified period of time under a specified set of one-sided circumstances and restrictions as explained on the end-user license agreement to which you clicked your approval without reading when you were in a rush to install the software ;)

As I understand it, you're free to use Q06 in perpetuity. All that ends on May Day is the service that lets you download stuff and the opportunity to pay through the nose for support if/when the software breaks. If you need either of those features after 01May you can obtain a license to use Q09.

While I decry Intuit's policy of actively killing download privileges that are provided to you by your financial institutions, they have the legal right to do it. IMO also, newer versions of Quicken since about 2003 have been steps backward. There have been few useful new features and lots of gratuitous eye-candy that negatively impacts usability, not to mention new bugs that don't seem to get corrected.

P.S. IIRC downloads using Q02 did continue to work for a few weeks after the official date. YMMV.

P.P.S. There used to be hacks for fooling data download sites into talking to expired versions of Quicken. You might want to Google around to see if there's such a hack for Q06. Be sure to read your license agreement carefully to see if using such hacks is a violation ;)
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I have converted my data and am now using Quicken 2008 (a US version). Can anyone tell me if Quicken has developed a way/someone else has figured out how to download preferred share data updates? I know to start the symbol with TSE: Thanks in advance.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Jaunty wrote:I have converted my data and am now using Quicken 2008 (a US version). Can anyone tell me if Quicken has developed a way/someone else has figured out how to download preferred share data updates? I know to start the symbol with TSE: Thanks in advance.
I don't use the feature directly, but will offer my best guess. As an example for TD Pref Series AG, TDW shows the symbol as TD.PR.G, and Yahoo! Finance uses the symbol TD-PG.TO, so perhaps the symbol for Quicken would be TSE:TD.PG. Note the change is changing .PR.G to PG, ie drop the R and the dot.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

Thanks, Peculiar Investor. I've tried your example, as well as TSE:TD PG; TSE:TD-PG; TSE:TD-G; TSE:TD G. So far, no such symbol!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Jaunty wrote:Thanks, Peculiar Investor. I've tried your example, as well as TSE:TD PG; TSE:TD-PG; TSE:TD-G; TSE:TD G. So far, no such symbol!
Dangit. OK, fired up my Quicken 2007, CDN Edition. Went to security list and then did symbol look-up. It took me to the Globe Investor website, which lists the symbol as TD.PR.G-T. How about giving that a try. It may also be related to the fact that you are running either 2008 or US version.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

Tried that and failed too. I wonder too if it is the US version - although there is no problem getting quotes on common equities.
Thanks for your efforts!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Can only suggest you go to the Quicken forums to ask what Americans use for TSE listed preferreds. The Canadian version would simply use TD-G. As as aside, why do you use the US version of Quicken?
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I was originally using an older Canadian version, then bought a US 2003 version without realizing the differences. They didn't concern me. This time I bought 2008 on EBay and the US version was what was on sale. The US version has always worked fine for me as I can put together the reports I want for taxes, although in the 2008 version I've been busy wiping out the tax categories it highlights in my banking files.
The last 2 weeks is the first time I've tried downloading stock quotes into it (I have an Excel spreadsheet I've been using that does this and provides the analysis I want).
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Have you tried looking in the Quicken forum yet? Or posted a question in the Quicken forum?

http://www.quickencommunity.com/webx/Fo ... %20Online/
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I've looked, but not posted. Your timing is good, as I'm uodating Pref. closing $$'s right now! I'll post immediately.
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

Well, I have the symbols, with advice from Quicken users - and it is one of the patterns I was trying. It is TSE:TD-G, but you can't use the "look up quote" feature from the screen where you input the symbol - it'll tell you no such symbol exists, but you go to a seperate on line function (Quicken Investing) that you access with a password and input the symbol and then the program finds it and stores it. What will really prove the case is if I can update the quotes tomorrow (since I already input Friday's prices myself earlier today).
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

Yes, they all work!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Using Quicken 2007. Looking for a recommended method to capture the following transaction(s).

Mid-June, I swapped cash from a non-registered account for shares in a registered account.

For example, from RRSP, 300 Encana @ $61.56, for $18468 from cash account.

In the past, I've recorded a sale in the RRSP and a buy in the cash account. Technically this isn't what happened and when I run a Security Performance Report, Quicken sees two matching transactions, which may or may not impact the reported returns.

Any wisdom for the resident gurus would be appreciated.

adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:In the past, I've recorded a sale in the RRSP and a buy in the cash account. Technically this isn't what happened
IMO, this is what has happened.
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I use Quicken Home Inventory to track warranty, serial numbers etc.

I tried to open it today and it simply would not open. Last open was Sept 28. After two system shutdowns and restarts, as per Quicken help, I changed file qhi.exe compatibility (from nothing) to Windows 2000 (I use XP Home Edition). Still no luck opening it. Nothing about this on Intuit's site that I was able to find.

Could be a coincidence, but I did the (large) Windows update this AM with no problems.

Any ideas short of an uninstall and reinstall of Quicken XG 2007?
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

Finally discovered a reason and a solution. I had bought a new Logitech Laser Mouse and downloaded and installed some Logitech software for it (Setpoint).

Preventing Setpoint from loading on startup solved the problem. This software also causes other problems apparently.

The mouse works fine using normal commands.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

[ot rant]

Makes me feel better about avoiding new computer hardware and software.

I cringe on every update to Windows or IE or Firefox or Java or Flash or ZA or or or, because everytime I get the "Won't you let us improve your experience?" line, there's a nonzero chance something will break, perhaps in a very unlikely place. (And it has already happened with every single one of the products named above.) When I replace a printer, I worry because I have run into more than one set of "new improved" printer drivers that have screwed me over.

My most reliable - and quickest in feel - machine continues to be the always offline >10 year old tower with an underpowered CPU and too little memory that runs WinXP with no service packs and a bunch of very obsolete software.

There's so little mystery and awe in the world today. Michelangelo's long dead so I can't get that Sistine Chapel ceiling feeling most days. Until I realize that that there are teams of capable people working hard to evoke a somewhat similar reaction, so that replacing a mouse on a computer causes something like Quicken* to fail.

Gotta love being a detective. Gotta be awed at the towering stupidity.

--------------

* Not that I use Quicken, understand, because I have a very stable and very obsolete piece of financial software from a long dead company that can never be updated, can never turn into bloatware, and most importantly can never break something else.

[/ot rant]
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Interesting. I don't use Quicken Home Inventory but I do use Quicken 2009 to track investments. I also have a Dell labelled Logitech Bluetooth mouse and SetPoint software on both of my primary PCs.

One system runs XP Pro. When I try to start QHI.EXE nothing visibly happens apart from the cursor changing to an hourglass for a second or so. Nothing starts. There's no message. There's no record of any error in the Windows Event Log. Nothing.

The other system runs Vista Business. When I try to start QHI.EXE Vista reports an application crash as shown below.

Now on both systems, if I kill the SETPOINT.EXE task, QHI will start just fine. So my conclusion is that there's something flaky with QHI. I note also that the About screen for the QHI that's included in Q09 reads, "Copyright 1993-1999 Intuit Inc." I suspect they've never updated this software to play nice with newer versions of Windows. My suggestion is to look for some freeware that functionally replaces QHI rather than try to make QHI work into the future.
Attachments
$untitled1.jpg
$untitled1.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

I'd love to find a QHI replacement. I am in the process of searching for a freeware substitute that will import my years of data in QHI. :cry:
WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

/RantOn:

I did a B/U on a U3 enabled USB drive yesterday and all of a sudden, all the Windows sounds events started to play ex a neg search would beep.
I worked for a couple hours some years ago to remove all Windows sounds and now a stupid USB drive put them back. Luckily, a cold reboot cured things.
Shame on these guys.

Note: I record all kind of stuff from the Internets while browsing/reading; you can imagine what the beeps do to my symphonies in aggravation major. :o

/

WW