Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Post by pmj »

Have you tried a "stock split" then a "spin-off"? Or vice-versa? IIRC, the stock split sorts out the old and new values.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
milo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milo »

I am using Quicken 2011 for a few years now, I had no major problems until now.
I cannot enter quotes for 3 stocks. All the history for these stocks have 'disappeared'.
I wonder if anyone else have this problem.
Maybe its time to upgrade to the latest?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I had a similar thing happen with my one legacy mutual fund and never could resolve it in Quicken 10. When I updated to Quicken 13, still no resolution. Something obviously was corrupted. So I manually input a price once or twice a month and live with it.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
milo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milo »

AltaRed wrote:I had a similar thing happen with my one legacy mutual fund and never could resolve it in Quicken 10. When I updated to Quicken 13, still no resolution. Something obviously was corrupted. So I manually input a price once or twice a month and live with it.
My problem is that I cannot enter ANY quotes for these stocks.
Their history used to be full but now its empty. I tried to insert a quote but it never appears in the history.
Even entering a price under portfolio does not help. I just cannot enter a price.
milo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milo »

Seems like this is a known problem.
I looked up in google and looks like I can try this solution:
https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/120577 ... ce-history
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

That would wipe out the entire price history for all securities and I wonder about sales and purchase prices and thus ACB as well. Then at best it appears one could only get 5 years of data back. I'd save a backup of the current file to be safe.

Another thought. If this just happened recently, go back to an earlier backup that did work and try using that file.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
milo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milo »

AltaRed wrote:That would wipe out the entire price history for all securities and I wonder about sales and purchase prices and thus ACB as well. Then at best it appears one could only get 5 years of data back. I'd save a backup of the current file to be safe.

Another thought. If this just happened recently, go back to an earlier backup that did work and try using that file.
I used the below links to help me export the history of quotes (to .CSV format) thus preserving more than 5 years worth of data. (only last price quotes were exported to .CSV, no volume nor h-lo quotes - don't know why , no biggie for me)
Then I cleared the quote history (in doing so, 'cleaned' the history file).
Then I imported the .CSV history quotes.

Works like a charm.

https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/168769 ... rrent-data
http://www.reltan.com/pages_main/qph_main.html
GreatLaker
Contributor
Contributor

Intuit is selling Quicken

Post by GreatLaker »

Intuit has announced it is selling Quicken:
https://qlc.intuit.com/announcements/1208585
To our valued Quicken customers,

I’m Eric Dunn, the new leader of Quicken. I was appointed to this role earlier this month with a clear mandate: Make Quicken the best it can be. It’s my job to implement changes to improve the product and your experience with it, and I want to let you know what’s in store.

Quicken became a separate business unit within Intuit earlier this month, and today, we took the next step. Intuit announced plans to sell Quicken and find a new home and buyer who will share our mutual dedication to and love of the product. And to me, and our customers, that’s great news.

Let me assure you, Quicken is not going away. We remain the nation’s No. 1-selling personal finance software with a large and loyal following.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I am no longer young.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I am running Quicken Deluxe 2002 on my Windows 8.1 Desktop. I tried to install from the original CD to my laptop which also runs 8.1. The Installation starts and then stops and freezes up. I have to go to Task manager to "end task". If I "open" the CD I get a list of files, and neither "autorun" nor "Start" do anything. I did try Google and cleaned the CD as suggested. :D Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Oh yes, I found in my CD drawer a CD of the Quicken Deluxe 2008. I have a feeling it is a USA version I bought by mistake. How would I tell?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote:Oh yes, I found in my CD drawer a CD of the Quicken Deluxe 2008. I have a feeling it is a USA version I bought by mistake. How would I tell?
Does the CD not have a label printed on it? The label should give some hint as to whether it is likely Canadian or US
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

AltaRed wrote
Does the CD not have a label printed on it? The label should give some hint as to whether it is likely Canadian or US
Nothing, Nothing on the sleeve either. Not certain it matters a lot as I only use it as acheck book and do not down load any quotes, or tax info.
milo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milo »

I am using quicken 2011.
I have problems updating stock quotes yesterday and today (31 May and 1 Jun 2016).
Anyone else have problems? maybe my version is too old.
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

Same problem updating stock quotes. That coincided with .QDF file corruption (newly entered transactions don't show while balance is correct). File was restored from backup, still having problem with stock quote update yesterday and today.
v2011
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

That's probably due to the 3 year support period. I had Q11 too and had to upgrade as the download services stopped working on May 31st.
MC Hammer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MC Hammer »

Is it possible to transfer shares from a Canadian account to a USD account? I tried using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" function, but received an error message saying the account needs to be in the same currency as the security.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

MC Hammer wrote:Is it possible to transfer shares from a Canadian account to a USD account? I tried using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" function, but received an error message saying the account needs to be in the same currency as the security.
I seem to recall having this problem a few years back. Quicken doesn't recognize Journalling (Intuit USA doesn't).

I suspect what I did was to forget that function and use Shares Removed function from CAD account and then use Shares Added function to USD account. Have to consider the right forex as well to get ACB right (at time of purchase). I use the memo line to state what I did (or the Comment section under Security).

Don't forget to also modify the Security parameters to the NYSE market too (or make a new one of essentially the same name so that downloaded quotes are in USD rather then CAD on the TSX.
MC Hammer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MC Hammer »

AltaRed wrote:
MC Hammer wrote:Is it possible to transfer shares from a Canadian account to a USD account? I tried using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" function, but received an error message saying the account needs to be in the same currency as the security.
I seem to recall having this problem a few years back. Quicken doesn't recognize Journalling (Intuit USA doesn't).

I suspect what I did was to forget that function and use Shares Removed function from CAD account and then use Shares Added function to USD account. Have to consider the right forex as well to get ACB right (at time of purchase). I use the memo line to state what I did (or the Comment section under Security).

Don't forget to also modify the Security parameters to the NYSE market too (or make a new one of essentially the same name so that downloaded quotes are in USD rather then CAD on the TSX.
Thanks for the idea about Share Removed and Share Added. It worked great.
It is in a registered account, so I don't have to worry about ACB, so that makes it easier.
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Discussion of Quicken 2017 moved to http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 5&t=119927.
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tightwad »

My non-registered investments are recorded in a couple of investment accounts in Quicken. When I transfer cash from these accounts to my chequing account, which I don't track in Quicken, I use an XOut and enter the originating account into Xfer Acct so that the cash is removed from the system. Is this the correct way to record it? Is the investment performance calculated properly by Quicken when using this method?
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

The correct way is to use Withdraw action. It doesn't require a target account.

Use Deposit action to move cash in the opposite direction.
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tightwad »

I'm using Quicken 2002. There does not appear to be either Withdraw or Deposit action in this version.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Sorry, I can't help you with Quicken 2002. I am on Quicken 2016.

You can use this workaround if you can't find an equivalent of Withdraw/Deposit:

- create a dummy chequing account
- keep using XOut, but specify the dummy chequing account as the target account

Your investment performance numbers should be more accurate if you follow this method.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

tightwad wrote: 08 Jul 2018 00:05 My non-registered investments are recorded in a couple of investment accounts in Quicken. When I transfer cash from these accounts to my chequing account, which I don't track in Quicken, I use an XOut and enter the originating account into Xfer Acct so that the cash is removed from the system. Is this the correct way to record it? Is the investment performance calculated properly by Quicken when using this method?
Using XIn / Xout and specifying the target account equal to the source account creates / destroys cash "out of thin air". I'm using Quicken 2012 and it gives me a warning when I record this, but otherwise it's OK.

Cash should not be part of the investment performance calculations.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tightwad »

ig17 wrote: 08 Jul 2018 10:08- create a dummy chequing account
- keep using XOut, but specify the dummy chequing account as the target account
I also thought of doing this but it would take some work to convert years of data. That's why I'm wondering whether it's necessary to do so.
adrian2 wrote: 08 Jul 2018 12:47Using XIn / Xout and specifying the target account equal to the source account creates / destroys cash "out of thin air". I'm using Quicken 2012 and it gives me a warning when I record this, but otherwise it's OK.

Cash should not be part of the investment performance calculations.
Quicken 2002 works in the same way. Are you saying I don't need to do what @ig17 is suggesting, that Quicken is reporting the correct investment performance as it is?

In a way cash does disappear when it's transferred to the chequing account since the money is destined to be spent in the near future.