Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Post by pmj »

I'm still using Quicken DL 99 :D. It still downloads from TD :lol: - but only one chequing account :cry:.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I have all my bank accounts and portfolios on my Quicken. The last few months I have had a "problem" reconciling on particular bank account. When I go to reconcile, it tells me I have a problem in May of this year. I get the option to re-reconcile or ignore. If I choose to "ignore" everything balances perfectly, but I still seem to have the problem?
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

tedster wrote:I have all my bank accounts and portfolios on my Quicken. The last few months I have had a "problem" reconciling on particular bank account. When I go to reconcile, it tells me I have a problem in May of this year. I get the option to re-reconcile or ignore. If I choose to "ignore" everything balances perfectly, but I still seem to have the problem?
I've always manually reconciled my Quicken data (going back 19 years).
I've never used their automatic downloads.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

I don't believe Tedster is talking about downloads.
The option within Quicken for reconciling an account such as a chequing account is the same as you would do manually or with a spreadsheet.
I use this option to reconcile my chequing account each month. I manually enter my deposits or payments usually as received or paid.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I always do it manually. I have never done downloads. I have been using Quicken to handle my cheque books for a long time. I belive the version I am using now is 2002 deluxe. What I don't understand is why everything balnces out, there are no missing or double entries yet it tells me I have an error on May 26, 2014. I guess I just have to go back and redo it all over again.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

CROCKD wrote:I don't believe Tedster is talking about downloads.
The option within Quicken for reconciling an account such as a chequing account is the same as you would do manually or with a spreadsheet.
I use this option to reconcile my chequing account each month. I manually enter my deposits or payments usually as received or paid.
For each transaction, Quicken has a reconcile field, its allowed values are:
blank = not reconciled,
'x' = preliminary reconciled, and
'X' = fully reconciled.

I enter my transactions (manually) from my ATM, credit card receipts etc and leave the field blank.
The same thing happens when I schedule some postdated transactions to be automatically entered (field starts as blank).
Once I verify the transaction on the other party's website (credit card, broker etc), I change it to 'x'.
Once the statement arrives (gets produced), I change it to 'X'.

I do not use Quicken's option to reconcile the account as a generic entity.
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Google solved my difficulty. FWIW Quicken 2002 and 2003 apparently has a bug. This can be manually altered. Which I did. :D
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I recently transferred my assets from Investor's Edge to Webbroker. The move went flawlessly. So now I am setting up the new TD accounts in Quicken and transferred the assets over to the new accounts. One of the old (and new) accounts is a US$ account. In the new TD UuS$ account I tried to record a "sell" but I am only allowed to select "SellX". This is not like the Cdn cash account associated with it where I have a "Sell" option. What have I done wrong? I want to show the results of the trade i.e cash in the register. Also apparently when the transfer took place, the original book values of each asset did not follow. Is there some "trick" I can use to put the a valid book value in the ne quicken account?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Is this an actual sell of an asset in the new account?

There should be no difference from what you have done before, especially if all you did was to re-name and edit the institution information from IE to TD. Or in worst case just transfer between accounts using the "shares transferred between accounts" option?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

tedster wrote:One of the old (and new) accounts is a US$ account. In the new TD UuS$ account I tried to record a "sell" but I am only allowed to select "SellX". This is not like the Cdn cash account associated with it where I have a "Sell" option. What have I done wrong?
Most likely you've selected a check box stating (from memory) "this account contains a single mutual fund". This is (mostly US) setting, the standard way of handling a Vanguard USA account (it can be used in Canada, inter alia, for Tangerine mutual fund accounts).

Delete the US$ account and recreate from scratch.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Thanks Adrian2. I had linked to asset account to a cash (money) account. Removing that solved it. You were pretty close and gave me the right direction to go. . Thanks also AltaRed.

Now about the book value? :)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Book values should not have changed if all you did is re-name your accounts and/or used your "shares transferred between accounts" methodology. If you actually did sell/buys to move the assets, the old book value goes away and your 'reports' would be all screwed up (would should cap gains/losses in the income report). If you did the latter, you have a bit of a mess on your hands me thinks.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

You should not have used sell in the old account / buy in the new one.
Use SharesOut / SharesIn and you can specify the book value.

BTW, a much, much easier way would have been to rename the old account(s). One operation, end of story.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

When the assets moved from CIBC to TD, the book value did not follow along. TD saw the transfer at 3-09-14 value. Quicken has a screwed up book value. I will try both. :) probably not serious as Quicken is never right about book values. :(
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

tedster wrote:probably not serious as Quicken is never right about book values. :(
Garbage in, garbage out.

My Quicken is the absolute Bible for book values.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

It seems to me that in my quicken if I buy a stock say at $10, sell some a few days later, and then buy some more, it only adds the purchase prices and does not subtract the sale, ergo, I think that sometimes I have "huge" book values, relative to actual purchase prices. I have probably been doing something wrong all these years.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

It gets worse. Looking at Portfolio view, my new cash account show a total in the black :) My TFSA shows each asset balance (Market Value) in the black, the total is in RED??? Not only that but the total (in red is 10 times greater than the actual total? eg. actual assets = $30K but the total is around -350,000 WTF? Each transaction shows as transferred in from the old CIBC account.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote:It seems to me that in my quicken if I buy a stock say at $10, sell some a few days later, and then buy some more, it only adds the purchase prices and does not subtract the sale, ergo, I think that sometimes I have "huge" book values, relative to actual purchase prices. I have probably been doing something wrong all these years.
I ran into this situation before....

The solution is not to look at the Book Values by clicking on the specific investment and looking at the 'sidebar' data. The sidebar tabular data in the Holdings section, depending on how shares were added or removed, can be very wrong.

Look only at the Book Values for securities in the table that is presented when you go to Investing | Portfolio tab.

FWIW, like Adrian, I find Quicken book values to be perfect....but only if you look at it as I described in prior sentence.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Whew, found the problem.. I had it linked to the wrong "bank" account. Everything is copacetic now. :) Red book value, I have Quicken Deluxe 2002, in Portfolio view in gives me "Cost per Share" which is defined as Purchase Price divided by number of shares. So if you buy and sell and rebuy the same shares, I believe you end up with double the purchase price. I will check this out again. If both of you trust Quickens :book value" So should I. I just need to know where to look???
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

This may well be a silly question but I am on Quicken 2013 and have all my records on it for the past 3 years. I have been able to download all security prices with no issues so far but for the past week or so, every time I click on the "Update Accounts" arrow at the top left corner above the list of accounts, Quickens goes into a loop and is stuck at the waiting for information window. The update cannot be cancelled and I am not able to quit Quickens except through the task manager.

I don't want to lose the historical prices for options and puts that I have in the system but would not have a problem with downloading historical prices again for the other stocks.

None of the security prices have been updated since the beginning of this week and I am not able to get in touch with the helpdesk at Quickens as they no longer have any live help desk to reach - at least none that I could find on their website.

Has any body else had this issue? If so, how were you able to resolve?
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

I have had some quirky things with prices. Try the following:
  • Backup your Quicken with File>Backup and Restore>Backup Quicken File
  • Try a Repair function with File>File Operations>Validate and Repair>Validate File
  • Only check Validate File and nothing else
  • Review for any securities errors or invalid transactions it may highlight
  • Run validate again
This has solved errors in downloaded data and other inconsistencies in the past for me when some historical data was way out in the future (beyond today's markets closing).

Last time I called support I got a human to assist. Did you call 1-888-829-1722?
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I have occasionally seen the Update stuck in a loop but not often. A few times it became unstuck after several minutes and a few other times I had to use Task Manager. I have no real idea what the problem was but I was guessing that Quicken somehow got in a freeze with the server it was calling. It has not happened to me in quite a long while.

Did you perhaps change something on your system recentlly that would block Quicken essentially 'calling home' and/or blocking a download?

If what Sumaco suggests doesn't work, I would consider, if you have the original Quicken 2013 program and registration key, making a backup copy of your current Quicken datafile and put it in a separate folder, do a clean uninstall, and then a re-install.
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

AltaRed wrote:If what Sumaco suggests doesn't work, I would consider, if you have the original Quicken 2013 program and registration key, making a backup copy of your current Quicken datafile and put it in a separate folder, do a clean uninstall, and then a re-install.
If you have to uninstall I suggest you follow these procedures.

They had me do this last time I had major headaches with this application.
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

Thank you Sumaco and Altared. I think I have it working again as it was able to download quotes this afternoon. Surprisingly, it seems that two stocks that I had classified as puts to track my puts were causing the issue though nothing was changed on these recently. I classified them as stock and the stock symbol was editable again. Cleared historical prices and downloaded it again - all seem to be working fine now. Weird!!

Thanks once again and I will check again tomorrow and, if necessary, try the above steps.

Rishi
HomePlanet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HomePlanet »

Quicken experts: I need your help.

I've used Quicken on and off over the years, but started up again just over a year ago to help with retirement planning. My main goals were to get a good handle on expenses, and to be able to analyze investments (performance, allocation and so on) across all accounts. The expense side has worked out fairly well. I have over a year of data. I have set up categories that work for me. Most transactions are automatically allocated to an appropriate category. And I can now budget and assess progress fairly easily. However, for investments...

From other posts, there are some users who treat Quicken as the gold standard for financial information. They have accurate ACBs for all holdings and use Quicken as a basis for tax reporting. When I used Quicken in the past, I never relied on its historical data, other than to track trends, such as changes in net worth. But this go round, I did input accurate ACB information for all holdings, and have recorded all transactions in my investment accounts - which is a pain relative to my banking and credit card accounts, where many more transactions are downloaded and categorized quite easily.

When I was reviewing 2014 spending, I also looked at investment income. But the _DivInc totals were different in different reports (such as Reports/Investing/Investing Income compared to _DivInc in Income/Expenses by category). This has since resolved itself, but I am curious if others have seen such a difference (since it gives me pause about the reliability of Quicken reports)?

The bigger issue has to do with net worth. As mentioned, I like to track changes in net worth over time. When I ran a net worth report over the past year, the opening numbers looked off. I have since learned that Quicken uses the current exchange rate to value US$ assets throughout the reporting period. So my US$ investments from 13.12.31 were valued at today's exchange rate. And my net worth throughout 2014 changed a bit yesterday from the day before. I don't know if this is an error/bug, or if Quicken was always this way. Am I missing something? Or can I simply not use Quicken to review net worth over time?

I have looked quite a bit online, but can't find a solution. I am using Quicken 2013 Canada. Much advice seems to suggest corrupt data, and I did a validate and repair (with no errors identified). Perhaps that resolved my _DivInc issue? There are many suggestions around currency settings, but my software does not seem to have the mentioned preferences. I have assumed that is because I have the Canadian version, but again, I may be missing something.

Any advice?