Best Credit Card

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
timbr
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card

Post by timbr »

Can't comment in this card specifically, but there have been a few new offerings in recent months that don't have foreign exchange fees. Also have a look at the Chase Amazon.ca Visa and Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Visa.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

izzy wrote:Seems too good to be true eh?
Not at all. As mentioned either upthread or another credit card thread Amazon.ca has a similar card with no FX surcharge and a 1% rebate and a $15 welcome bonus: https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm

I'm using it currently in Europe and getting decent FX rates, e.g. 1.2544 on the Euro as of a couple of days ago.
Any idea what the catch is?
Sears, "Our goal is to make Bhell and Robbers customer service look good." Stay away at all costs.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

More good news re the Amazon.ca credit card with no FX vig. Yesterday I prepaid the balance on the card plus ~$1,000 using TD/CT EasyWeb. This morning (Europe time) I took a "cash advance" of €400 (the daily max) out of an ATM in a little village in Austria. Now I see on the Amazon/Chase web site that they deducted $503.69 from my card balance. That's a rate of 0.7941. Google Finance reports that the official FX rate is currently 0.7937. So (a) no FX vig and (b) no ATM fee.

:thumbsup: and thanks to pmj who suggested this card upthread.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Thank you.

To see the exact exchange rate at a precise time, yahoo's 1-day chart is useful:
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=C ... =;range=1d;

It's interesting how volatile rates are some days - eg from 0.7919 to 0.7969 today.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Now I see on the Amazon/Chase web site that they deducted $503.69 from my card balance. That's a rate of 0.7941. Google Finance reports that the official FX rate is currently 0.7937. So (a) no FX vig and (b) no ATM fee.
Verrry interesting... Now they show a debit of $505.01for a conversion rate of 0.7921 plus a $5.05 "CASH ADVANCE FEE." That's still only ~1% which is still better than TD/CT's 2.5% vig.
cockroach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cockroach »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Bylo Selhi wrote:Now I see on the Amazon/Chase web site that they deducted $503.69 from my card balance. That's a rate of 0.7941. Google Finance reports that the official FX rate is currently 0.7937. So (a) no FX vig and (b) no ATM fee.
Verrry interesting... Now they show a debit of $505.01for a conversion rate of 0.7921 plus a $5.05 "CASH ADVANCE FEE." That's still only ~1% which is still better than TD/CT's 2.5% vig.
In the T&C's, it states: "To be charged on the day the transaction occurs: (unless otherwise indicated) Cash Advance 1.0% of the Cash Advance amount, minimum $5.00"

So this is a better card than TD for ATM usage assuming you withdraw $200CAD equivalent or more.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

cockroach wrote:In the T&C's, it states: "To be charged on the day the transaction occurs: (unless otherwise indicated) Cash Advance 1.0% of the Cash Advance amount, minimum $5.00"
Yabbut is it really a cash advance when the credit card account has a cash balance that exceeds the amount of the withdrawal? [Recall that upthread I posted, "Yesterday I prepaid the balance on the card plus ~$1,000 using TD/CT EasyWeb. This morning (Europe time) I took a "cash advance" of €400 (the daily max) out of an ATM..."] In reality I advanced them $1,000 then took about $500 of it back. My account still has a positive (to me) balance of almost $500. Why don't they pay me 1%, min. $5, for advancing them my money? :twisted: I won't even charge them any interest, never mind at their ~20% rates ;)
So this is a better card than TD for ATM usage assuming you withdraw $200CAD equivalent or more.
Yes, indeed. It's generally not a good idea to withdraw small amounts at an ATM because of the minimum and/or fixed fees. I'd have withdrawn more than €400 but that's the daily maximum at Austrian ATMs.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Why don't they pay me 1%, min. $5, for advancing them my money? :twisted: I won't even charge them any interest, never mind at their ~20% rates ;)
No North American credit card I know of pays interest on debit balances. OTOH, two decades ago, when I was in South Africa, my gold MasterCard was paying me ~ 10% annual interest on debit balances, in an environment where mortgages (all one rate over there, and called "home loans") were around 15%.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

RBC Visa won't let me prepay my card anymore; Something to do with their liability if the card is lost or stolen.
I used it to get cash in the US, usually no fees from the US bank that I got when using a debit card.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

deaddog wrote:RBC Visa won't let me prepay my card anymore
How could they stop it if you, say, prepay it from a non-RBC account?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

adrian2 wrote:
deaddog wrote:RBC Visa won't let me prepay my card anymore
How could they stop it if you, say, prepay it from a non-RBC account?
Probably the same way as when I try to pay with my RBC account, they just refuse the payment.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
cockroach wrote:In the T&C's, it states: "To be charged on the day the transaction occurs: (unless otherwise indicated) Cash Advance 1.0% of the Cash Advance amount, minimum $5.00"
Yabbut is it really a cash advance when the credit card account has a cash balance that exceeds the amount of the withdrawal? [Recall that upthread I posted, "Yesterday I prepaid the balance on the card plus ~$1,000 using TD/CT EasyWeb. This morning (Europe time) I took a "cash advance" of €400 (the daily max) out of an ATM..."] In reality I advanced them $1,000 then took about $500 of it back.
Just curious, had the prepayment posted to the CC account when you withdrew? You seemed to indicate just one day in between and online payment processing often(not always) takes several.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

The Amazon.ca card is run by Chase Canada. I use Chase's https://online.chasecanada.ca to monitor my account. A few hours after the ATM withdrawal the transaction appeared under "Review Authorizations." Presumably this is a preliminary record, sort of like the temporary hold a merchant puts on your card when you first make a purchase. Then the next day the revised transaction, along with the Cash Advance fee, was posted under the regular Transactions log.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

You didn't answer what I was asking so let me try again, sorry if my query was unclear.
Yesterday I prepaid the balance on the card plus ~$1,000 using TD/CT EasyWeb. This morning (Europe time) I took a "cash advance" of €400 (the daily max) out of an ATM in a little village in Austria.
Had the 1k prepayment shown up in your online Chase account when you made that ATM withdrawal?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

gsp_ wrote:Had the 1k prepayment shown up in your online Chase account when you made that ATM withdrawal?
Yes. The experiment was to wait until the prepayment was shown on Chase's site, i.e. they had my money, before withdrawing (some of) it via ATM, i.e. so they'd have no defensible excuse for charging me an advance fee.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

ISTM that the reason/excuse for a cash advance fee is one or more of:
1. There's a cost to providing the facility to make cash withdrawals
2. There's no merchant paying a vig to the CC co
3. We'll stick-it-to-the-man 'cos we can ....

and that none of these is neutered by the timing of the withdrawal vs the payment.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Absolutely. I only posted the update about the cash advance fee because initially I thought I had avoided it. I don't consider $5 to withdraw cash from an overseas ATM to be unreasonable, especially since they're not also charging me an extra 2.5% "because we can and you're probably too stupid to notice anyway" FX surcharge.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Yes. The experiment was to wait until the prepayment was shown on Chase's site, i.e. they had my money, before withdrawing (some of) it via ATM, i.e. so they'd have no defensible excuse for charging me an advance fee.
Thank you.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

AFAIK it's standard practice in Canada for CC companies to charge a cash advance fee to withdraw a positive cash balance. I'm not aware of any card that doesn't charge it.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

Current traveling in Germany / Austria / Italy and ran into another FX twist - when I paid my hotel bill and ran the charge through to my Visa card, the hotel "conveniently" converted the Euro charges into Canadian $ for me,coincidentally collecting the FX vig of 2.5% for their account rather than the card company. I had seen this on cruise line bills before, but never an individual hotel. I did not notice at the time or I would have told them to reverse the charge (it's not that I'm paying more to have them do the conversion, but they did not ask me first).
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

westinvest wrote:Current traveling in Germany / Austria / Italy and ran into another FX twist - when I paid my hotel bill and ran the charge through to my Visa card, the hotel "conveniently" converted the Euro charges into Canadian $ for me,coincidentally collecting the FX vig of 2.5% for their account rather than the card company.
Same thing happened to me last year at a retail store in Austria. I didn't see that this "convenient" option had been applied until I got the printed receipt. The clerk claimed it was too late to reverse the transaction. As the amount of the sale was only about €100 I didn't push the matter further.

P.S. Years ago I returned a rental car at DFW and paid by credit card using the convenient hand-held terminal that the roving agent offered me. After I'd OK'd the transaction I noticed that they'd charged me for mileage even though my contract was for "unlimited" mileage. I went to the rental counter and complained. They reversed the entire transaction, then charged the correct amount. When I got my VISA statement I noted that I'd been charged 2.5% vig three times, (1) original transaction, (2) reversal and (3) corrected transaction. A phone call to VISA got (1) and (2) refunded, however, I doubt many people notice let alone complain.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

westinvest wrote:Current traveling in Germany / Austria / Italy and ran into another FX twist - when I paid my hotel bill and ran the charge through to my Visa card, the hotel "conveniently" converted the Euro charges into Canadian $ for me,coincidentally collecting the FX vig of 2.5% for their account rather than the card company. I had seen this on cruise line bills before, but never an individual hotel. I did not notice at the time or I would have told them to reverse the charge (it's not that I'm paying more to have them do the conversion, but they did not ask me first).
I've been asked this a few times in Europe and always declined. It sounds like you came out none for the worse, I've always been afraid it will lead to several conversions.

Many years ago I can recall using a USD card to make a USD purchase online and them charging me in CAD only for it to be converted back to USD on the card at a total cost of around 5%.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

westinvest wrote:Current traveling in Germany / Austria / Italy and ran into another FX twist - when I paid my hotel bill and ran the charge through to my Visa card, the hotel "conveniently" converted the Euro charges into Canadian $ for me,coincidentally collecting the FX vig of 2.5% for their account rather than the card company. I had seen this on cruise line bills before, but never an individual hotel. I did not notice at the time or I would have told them to reverse the charge (it's not that I'm paying more to have them do the conversion, but they did not ask me first).
Further update to this - have been traveling for a few weeks now and it seems this practice is becoming the norm rather than the exception, in both Europe and in Asia, I have had 7 or 8 hotels try this gambit - I now know to check before I sign the CC slip. My hotel in Hong Kong was nice enough to have the fine print printed on the receipt:
"This service is offered by the merchant's service provider, with FX rate at Visa rate plus 4.4%." Ouch!
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

westinvest wrote:I now know to check before I sign the CC slip.
What if they hand you a Chip & PIN terminal? Presumably you won't see the slip until after you've authorized the transaction and it prints out of the terminal. (In my experience in Austria with this scam last year that's what happened. I didn't see any mention about added vig when I OK'd the transaction and keyed in my PIN.)
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

We used our CIBC Aerogold card throughout Croatia, Istanbul and Zurich, almost exclusively through handheld authorization terminals and the amounts were always in local currency. It appears they hold cash payments until there is sufficent activity to warrant applying the payment. So my payment of $100 was received on 9/28 and posted on 10/2. We will see about my latest one.
For the fun of it...Keith