Best Credit Card

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card

Post by longinvest »

Has any of you succeeded at getting an electronic monthly statement for Amazon Visa? I do have online access to my account, but I have been unable to find an option for a paper-less statement.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

No they don't have that option. And they are not working on it.
For the fun of it...Keith
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

longinvest wrote:Has any of you succeeded at getting an electronic monthly statement for Amazon Visa? I do have online access to my account, but I have been unable to find an option for a paper-less statement.
All I can think is that this is some kind of international law thing. They have to send paper - which ends up in our shredder every month. What a waste.

2 yen
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

actually I do not think I get a statement by email from any company. I am notified and then I have to log in. BTW I just rec'd my notice from Amazon.ca.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote:actually I do not think I get a statement by email from any company. I am notified and then I have to log in. BTW I just rec'd my notice from Amazon.ca.
I don't think any financial institution statement comes by email. Never has for me nor would I want it too. Simply because email is not encrypted/secure. Only the notification that it is ready online and ready to be downloaded comes by email (if one has this switched on).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

AltaRed wrote:I don't think any financial institution statement comes by email.
No, but with most institutions, get a email message that your e-statement is ready to be downloaded. You log on into your account and download a PDF which looks exactly like the statement that you would get in the regular mail. Therefore, they don't send the paper copy on top of this.

Whereas with the Amazon VISA, you can get an email alert indicating that the billing cycle is over (if you activate the alert). You then log on to the Chase website and see what your balance is (and any recent transactions, etc.). But you don't get an official statement online. Therefore they still send the paper copy in the mail.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I agree the e-statements look just like the paper ones but it is interesting? (frustrating?) that it seems to be US based credit card outfits that are behind the times. A few years ago I had signed up for e-statements with my Capital One account and they continued to send a paper statement in addition to making the e-statement available online. I had to specifically request them to stop sending paper statements.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

As an aside I have a high interest savings account with Achieva Financial,a Manitoba virtual credit union.
They actually pay me an extra $1 monthly for forgoing a paper statement! Not a big deal obviously but it sends a message!
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

izzy wrote:As an aside I have a high interest savings account with Achieva Financial,a Manitoba virtual credit union.
They actually pay me an extra $1 monthly for forgoing a paper statement! Not a big deal obviously but it sends a message!
Should be the case for everyone to accelerate movement from paper statements. $1 probably pays for all/most of the out-of-pocket costs to print and mail the paper statement at meter rates (currently circa 77 cents).
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

ISTR that TD charges $2.50 for paper statements. Never miss an opportunity to ding the poor saps without computers or lazy.

But they will waive the charge if.....
For the fun of it...Keith
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

kcowan wrote:ISTR that TD charges $2.50 for paper statements. Never miss an opportunity to ding the poor saps without computers or lazy.

But they will waive the charge if.....
I get my TD statement via ePost. ePost doesn't seem sufficient for them since they also send me a paper statement. There is no charge for this. Maybe the paper statement is part of the agreement they have with Canada Post?
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

An article from Rob Carrick on how TD is nickel and diming their clients on a premium Rewards travel card by devalueing the points accumulated by 20%. He wrote this as he has this card and says exactly how I felt also in getting the letter from TD. This is the only fee based credit card I have and rational for it was the money off travel expenditures and credit card insurance for rental cars.
I guess the big banks are not making enough money without figuring out new ways of screwing their customers.
Have you been hit by changes to your rewards card?
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Limit yourself to cash back cards. Cash is hard cash, not funny money that can be re-valued on a whim.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

CROCKD wrote:An article from Rob Carrick on how TD is nickel and diming their clients on a premium Rewards travel card by devalueing the points accumulated by 20%. ...
That's one reason I really like the new Tangerine card. It pays cash every month and deposits it directly into your savings account. That leaves little place for devaluing acquired rewards.

I also have the Amazon Visa card (useful for not getting devise conversion fees on foreign transactions), but you have to accumulate 2000 points to get a 20$ credit on your statement (no partial payment; extra points over 2000 are left to accumulate until the next 2000). So, there's still a possibility of getting bitten by a change of policy.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

longinvest wrote:I also have the Amazon Visa card (useful for not getting devise conversion fees on foreign transactions), but you have to accumulate 2000 points to get a 20$ credit on your statement (no partial payment; extra points over 2000 are left to accumulate until the next 2000). So, there's still a possibility of getting bitten by a change of policy.

Perhaps, but you are not talking about years of accumulated points there, the most you can loose is $20.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Quebec wrote:
longinvest wrote:I also have the Amazon Visa card (useful for not getting devise conversion fees on foreign transactions), but you have to accumulate 2000 points to get a 20$ credit on your statement (no partial payment; extra points over 2000 are left to accumulate until the next 2000). So, there's still a possibility of getting bitten by a change of policy.

Perhaps, but you are not talking about years of accumulated points there, the most you can loose is $20.
Likely not even that, just a (smallish) fraction of $20.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

adrian2 wrote:
Quebec wrote:

Likely not even that, just a (smallish) fraction of $20.
Going south, the $20 rebate has been very nice. We charge everything to the card, including the rentals and so it ends up paying for more than one feed of seafood and BBQ (which is one of the best reasons for going south).

2 yen
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

Called Chase today as I've had the amazon.ca card for >6 months now, so I can finally do a credit limit increase.

I called the 416 number, since it connects you straight to an agent after a short disclaimer, bypassing the IVR because they think they're paying $$$/minute for a collect call :thumbsup:

I asked for a limit that works out to 1/10th my annual income and they approved it after asking my employer and salary. They asked why, so I said it was because my limit was so low, I could not use the card as much as I wanted to.

Total time: 13 minutes.

I laughed when they asked "Do I have your consent to raise your credit limit to $x?", well, ya, that's what I just asked for...
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

AltaRed wrote:Limit yourself to cash back cards. Cash is hard cash, not funny money that can be re-valued on a whim.
Best Cashback credit cards for 2015

+1 :thumbsup:
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Very long topic locked, discussion continues in Best Credit Card (2016-7) -- Administrator