Good customer service

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Stan_W
Bronze Ring
Bronze Ring

Re: Good customer service

Post by Stan_W » 03 Jun 2016 13:31

Chuck wrote:
In the same vein as some employees don't care that much about corporate profit from the "happy customer" point of view, some employees also don't care that much about corporate profit from a dealing with hassles point of view (i.e. they will give discounts/refunds to make headaches go away).
I've been in this situation as an employee where I stuck to the company policy and took the heat from the customer, only to have the manager give in quickly once he\she was called over to back me up.

When I was a manager, I backup up the employee unless he\she was in the wrong. In that case I would explain why I did it to the employee so he\she would understand how the policy was applied.

knotley
Silver Ring
Silver Ring

Post by knotley » 19 Jul 2016 12:28

Broke my Leatherman skeletool pliers on Monday last week.
25 year warranty. Put in mail on Tuesday. Got a new replacement via return mail on Friday.
Better than Good Customer Service.
Gold Medal Service.

DenisD
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by DenisD » 19 Jul 2016 22:40

Reminds me of my experience with my Tilley hat some months ago. I bought it nearly 30 years ago and used it for hiking for several years. So it had a sweat stain in the front and the material was starting to disintegrate. I knew it had a lifetime warranty so I checked the website. The website said I would have to send in the hat and maybe they'd send me a new one.

A few weeks later, I walked into a local store that sells Tilley hats wearing my old Tilley. The saleswoman walked up to me while I was looking at new hats. She took one look at my hat and said, "You know you can replace that hat for five dollars?" I picked out a new hat and paid nine dollars. The new hat was four dollars more expensive than the old.

And I got to keep my old hat. But it fell apart a few months later.

brucecohen
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by brucecohen » 15 Aug 2016 10:37

More than 8 years ago I bought two Squirrel Buster bird feeders which have been in constant use. This feeder has a spring-loaded cage that drops down when a squirrel weighing more than 4 ounces* jumps on it. The cage snaps back when the squirrel jumps off. I noticed last week that the snap-backs were sluggish. While the 2-year warranty ran out years ago last Wednesday I sent the company an email asking if I could get new springs. I expected them to reply with a price for two springs plus shipping but the immediate reply said they'd be happy to send them for free. :shock: This morning a courier delivered them. :thumbsup:

BTW, it's even a Canadian company!

* To deter red squirrels, I've reduced that threshold by attaching fishing sinker weights to the cages.

Jaunty
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Jaunty » 16 Aug 2016 09:51

Thanks for the tip, Bruce. I was planning on making a squirrel proof feeder, but this will look way better and make SWMBO much happier.

Toner
Bronze Ring
Bronze Ring

Post by Toner » 16 Aug 2016 11:09

FYI If you have a Squirrel Buster Plus model that Bruce referenced, they are lifetime warrantied. If you break or wear out a part for the Squirrel Buster Plus, take it to a dealer such as Urban Nature, Wild Birds Unlimited, etc and they will usually repair it while you wait at no cost. Have done this a couple of times.

brucecohen
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by brucecohen » 16 Aug 2016 13:01

Toner wrote:FYI If you have a Squirrel Buster Plus model that Bruce referenced, they are lifetime warrantied. If you break or wear out a part for the Squirrel Buster Plus, take it to a dealer such as Urban Nature, Wild Birds Unlimited, etc and they will usually repair it while you wait at no cost. Have done this a couple of times.
Good to know. I have the Squirrel Buster Classic. The warranty is good for two years, but it looks like Brome is willing to stand behind the product beyond that. Mine came with excellent instructions on how to take apart the feeder. That's presumably for cleaning, but I've done at least one "repair" -- replacing the nut at the bottom of the cage which holds it in place. The materials are obviously high quality, having endured more than 8 years of varying weather. I leave mine outside all year.

FWIW, I'm about to buy a Squirrel Buster Mini to replace the smaller regular tube feeder on our dining room deck.

tedster
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by tedster » 02 Nov 2016 10:47

I bought 2 Ultrasonic Humidifiers from Sunbeam on-line. One was not working upon arrival, so they company sent me a label for return shipment by UPS. They also said they would replace the unit. Two weeks later I called to find out what happened to the missing replacement and was told it was sent to an incorrect address. The very next day, I got a replacement unit. Then two days later I received another replacement. So now I have three units and paid for only one. This morning I called and told them that I was quite happy to return the extra unit, but could they arrange for UPS to pick up as their drop off location required me to drive and park the car, etc, and I would have to do this only because Sunbeam had made the error. So the Customer Service lady said I should just keep the unit!. That is good service.

kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by kcowan » 02 Nov 2016 14:51

Wow 3 units and mucho hassle! I suppose you will try to unload the unwanted one too?
For the fun of it...Keith

Shakespeare
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by Shakespeare » 17 Jun 2017 17:41

Just got a call from Telus. I have asked to switch from Bell Expressvue - better than Shaw 12 years ago - to Telus Optik - now better than Bell. Works out around $20/mo cheaper with bundles. I have 3 Bell receivers, so I asked for a third Telus box (only two are included). This should have been $150 for a 1K box. She called me back today to say they couldn't sell a 1K box (I don't rent; it's cheaper to buy) and a 4K box was $250, so she offered it to me rent free (and basically 'own' (sort of) after 2 years - you can't sell it, though.)

Very pleased. :thumbsup:
“A wise man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at any time.” -- R.A. Heinlein, The Door Into Summer.

kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by kcowan » 18 Jun 2017 09:05

Ordered a new patio umbrella from Costco online (quite large) and it had the large cardboard box staples going right through the fabric inside. Called the supplier in Salt Lake and they said to keep it and order something of equivalent value from their site. We could find nothing that we needed, so just returned the umbrella to the nearest store for a refund.
For the fun of it...Keith

2 yen
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by 2 yen » 18 Jun 2017 16:17

kcowan wrote:
18 Jun 2017 09:05
Ordered a new patio umbrella from Costco online (quite large) and it had the large cardboard box staples going right through the fabric inside. Called the supplier in Salt Lake and they said to keep it and order something of equivalent value from their site. We could find nothing that we needed, so just returned the umbrella to the nearest store for a refund.
Fawlty Towers.

2 yen