Good customer service

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Good customer service

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Kudos to The North Face, http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/ca/en/index.html. The zipper on my 3-1 winter jacket broke last year. The jacket is about 3 years old AFAIK and I wouldn't have a clue if I kept the receipt or warranty info -- likely not. I called their 800 number this morning to find out the warranty/repair options.

All their agents were busy, but after about 2 minutes, they offer the option to leave a message and they'll call back. So I did. Got a call back within an hour. Asked where I live -- they have a repair centre in Calgary. Gave me a case number and address of the repair centre. They will repair free of charge and either call for pickup or ship it back to me for free. Never once did they ask for a receipt or when it was bought. Gotta love a company that stands behind their product like this. :thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Gotta love a company that stands behind their product like this. :thumbsup:
You got it.

My wife did quite a bit or research about "all things baby". A high recommendation came about the stroller made by Uppa Baby, safety and overall quality.
After a few months of moderate use (as much as you can test a stroller with a 9 month old), the front wheel came loose, even after tightening it came loose again.

My wife called the company, a very polite rep answered he apologized for our inconvenience and said they would be more than happy to send out a new set of front wheels. He asked for the receipt for the transaction and vendor number. My wife wasn't sure if she knew where it was so he asked for the store location. He called the store and called back with conformation after about 15 minutes that our wheels were already picked from the warehouse and we should expect delivery in couple of days.
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

How to get employees to care
A friend of mine recently flew Southwest and told me about a flight attendant who came on the PA system to explain that the crew was tired and didn’t have the energy to come through the aisles to pass around the peanuts. Instead, she explained that she would leave a pile of peanut packages loose at the front of the plane and that, when the plane takes off, she went on, the peanuts will start sliding down the aisle and passengers could reach out and grab a pack for themselves.

True to her word, the plane began to taxi, gather speed and, as the front wheels came off the ground, the peanuts started to slide to the rear of the plane. The cabin erupted in laughter as virtually everyone inside appreciated the flight attendant’s touch of humour.

There was one person who took offence to the stunt and wrote a letter to complain about the breach in safety protocol.

Normally, when the head of an airline gets a complaint letter, someone in their office sends the obligatory form letter back explaining that they will look into the matter and include a coupon for an upcoming flight.

[Southwest president, Ms.] Barrett wrote a letter that simply said, “We’ll miss you.”...

At Southwest, they consider their first, and most important, customer the people who work at Southwest. The second most important customer group is the people who fly in their planes, and the third most important group are the shareholders...

If you ask a Southwest employee what business they’re in, they’ll tell you they are in the customer service business and they happen to fly airplanes.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of airlines -- how about being a good customer :) , Is it time for "Candy for the Crew Week" v. 2.0 ? - FlyerTalk Forums.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

Here's to Amex, sending me an envelope with some credit card checks, too bad they weren't so prompt with their credit cards. Mine expired in November and I had to phone to see where the new one was. Same thing happened to my mom. Good thing costco has interac.
suzy
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

Recently had an issue with a defective product from Proctor and Gamble which was resolved more promptly and with more CSR courtesy than any company I have dealt ni a long time. P&G not only made good on their 'compensation' for the defective product, the CSR actually offered up additional compensation for my time and hassle. Whoda thunk it, typically you have to wrestle that out of them.....if you're even sucessful in convincing them such a thing exists. This caring for the customer stuff works, I now find myself specifically looking for P&G products wherever I previously used a competitor product.

All I can say is do not hesitate to call P&G if you have an issue.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

FinEcon wrote: All I can say is do not hesitate to call P&G if you have an issue.
My lady's SIL is a P&G employee and I've taken the liberty of sending the text of your message to him with the likelihood that it'll be forwarded up the ladder.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Nemo2 wrote:My lady's SIL is a P&G employee and I've taken the liberty of sending the text of your message to him with the likelihood that it'll be forwarded up the ladder.
While you're at it, convey this:

I bought some Duracell Rechargeable AAs about a year ago. I found that they discharged rather quickly. Some analysis on the 'Net uncovered that Duracell offers two varieties of NiMH rechargeables: (1) the black-top 2,650mAh regular self-discharge, which I bought, that are best for high current fast discharge applications and (2) the white-top 2,000 mAh rebranded Sanyo Eneloops low self-discharge, which I didn't buy, that are best for moderate current, long shelf life applications. I naively reported my dissatisfaction with (1) on the Duracell website, got a prompt reply by e-mail, then a voucher in the mail that was good for a package of (2)s. There was no need for me to show proof of purchase or return the (1)s.

Excellent customer service (exceeded only by Philips, who sent me gift cards valued at approximately 4x my original purchase.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

While you're at it, convey this:
Yeah, I'm always amazed how clueless many companies are regarding the bad press they get when they provide poor service, especially with the internet and its ability to reach millions. Telecommunications companies seem to be the worst at this game.

ltr
marty123
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by marty123 »

Nemo2 wrote:
FinEcon wrote: All I can say is do not hesitate to call P&G if you have an issue.
My lady's SIL is a P&G employee and I've taken the liberty of sending the text of your message to him with the likelihood that it'll be forwarded up the ladder.
Let's hope they further leverage this strength upon receiving the message, rather than normalizing ("WTF?! we don't need to do this :shock: ")
Yukon Maiden
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Yukon Maiden »

Thumbs up to Intact insurance. My car was smucked in an intersection by a light runner on Thursday and it wasn't drivable. I need my car for work and it is insured for business use. Less then an hour after calling Intact, there was a man at my door to drive me to the car rental place and I was back in action, driving down the road. :thumbsup:
" I reject you reality, and substitute my own!"-Mythbusters
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I called Lenovo (IBM Canada) last Tuesday. They offered to ship me a keyboard if I wanted to install it myself.

I said no way. The next day I received a shipping carton with precut foam inside so that I could remove what was not needed and the prepaid shipping documents for Purolator. Pickup was sometime on Thursday. Included in the repair was a free offer to replace Windows 7 with XP.

Yesterday I got the unit back. So far it is working just fine. Very impressive service. :D
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I "learned" something new today about service in a restaurant. I went for a late breakfast (after blood tests) to my usual Sunday breakfast place. The couple next to me left and the waiter was clearing the table with a new and young waitress. He was explaining something to her in French and showing her what appeared to be a penny. I asked him if they had left without paying and was that the "tip"? No he ex[lained, they had paid and tipped on their credit card, but leaving a single penny on the table is an indication that they received excellent service. I asked him if this wa a Quebec thing as I had never heard of it before. he claimed no.

Has anyone else heard of this practice?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Kudo's to Shaw :thumbsup: and their employee Sean :thumbsup: , [ALL] Ask ShawSean - Shaw | DSLReports Forums. Just think, a real employee on a popular discussion board, answering questions and getting involved in helping customer's get their problems resolved. :thumbsup:

abose
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abose »

tedster wrote:I "learned" something new today about service in a restaurant... leaving a single penny on the table is an indication that they received excellent service. I asked him if this wa a Quebec thing as I had never heard of it before. he claimed no.

No -just the opposite. I've frequently heard people will leave a penny as a tip to show their extreme displeasure with the service. Rather than leaving nothing as a tip, the customer is going out of their way to make the point that they were displeased. The single penny makes it clear that they did not “forget” to tip but that they were very disappointed and felt the server deserved nothing more than 1 cent (or less).

Perhaps the server was too embarrassed to admit in front of the person they were training the real meaning of the penny.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

abose wrote:
tedster wrote:I "learned" something new today about service in a restaurant... leaving a single penny on the table is an indication that they received excellent service. I asked him if this wa a Quebec thing as I had never heard of it before. he claimed no.

No -just the opposite. I've frequently heard people will leave a penny as a tip to show their extreme displeasure with the service. Rather than leaving nothing as a tip, the customer is going out of their way to make the point that they were displeased. The single penny makes it clear that they did not “forget” to tip but that they were very disappointed and felt the server deserved nothing more than 1 cent (or less).

Perhaps the server was too embarrassed to admit in front of the person they were training the real meaning of the penny.
This has always been my understanding also.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

abose wrote:No -just the opposite. I've frequently heard people will leave a penny as a tip to show their extreme displeasure with the service. Rather than leaving nothing as a tip, the customer is going out of their way to make the point that they were displeased. The single penny makes it clear that they did not “forget” to tip but that they were very disappointed and felt the server deserved nothing more than 1 cent (or less).
I did exactly that on one occasion in Australia -- I was paying by credit card, as their penny coin was retired before my visit Down Under.
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I've had good service from both MBNA and TD in an undesirable situation. About 2 weeks ago TD called to tell me they suspected that my US$ Visa was being used fraudulently. It was obvious to me that I wasn't buying bus tickets in England and stuff in New York City with it. They were quick, polite and terminated the card immediately. I had a replacement card within a week.
Today MBNA called. Beer in Etobicoke and $110 at Shoppers (I didn't ask where). Again quick and knowledgable service and the card is cancelled. This time they'll FedEx me a card by Wednesday, next. The agent recommended calling Equifax and TransUnion so that they will put a note on my file. This I did. Before releasing any information these credit agencies will contact me to make sure I have authorized the contact - for the next 6 years. In effect this means someone else can't get a credit card in my name.
Happily I am liable for none of the charges. Funny, that I've had credit cards for over 40 years without any problem and now I have two problems in 2 weeks!
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

The credit card companies are pretty good about spotting odd charges.

PC Mastercard called us a couple of months ago asking about a ~$15 charge from ClickandBuy. I pay for my news server (news.individual.net) through them, and that charge goes through once a year. I was quite surprised that they noticed it.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The credit card companies are pretty good about spotting odd charges.
They didn't spot the laptop somebody ordered on a nonpremium card I had stopped using when I got an upgrade.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

In the early 70s I was working in HK and doing a lot of travel. I was using American Express and spending a ton of $$ in travel in the region. AE called my secretary in HK to find out if I actually had the card. She called me in Tokyo and I eased their mind. I was very glad. Once I was in Cornwall's LCBO making a purchase and the Visa person asked to speak to me before allowing the purchase.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

may-be you should cut back on your drinking :oops:
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

zinfit wrote
may-be you should cut back on your drinking
And this is relevant because? :evil:
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

Recently returned home from the southland to our newly renovated bathrooms. Everything looked great except the toilet seats were not what we thought would come with the new toilets we ordered. Our reno guy is not available till next week so I could not determine if they came with the toilets or had he picked these out himself.

i am quite close to Home Hardware ,Home Depot and a brand new Lowes. Dropped by each to ask " does a toilet seat come in the carton with new toilet seats"
Answers.
Home Depot.....yes except for a special order.
Lowes ......yes if they are models displayed on our floor.
Home Hardware...Almost never .....you have to pick out the seat you want.
All three seem to carry the same popular brands like American Standard etc.

Who is telling tme the truth?
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

We went to a new restaurant in Montreal called Comptoir 21. It specializes in Fish and Chips. We went in and she ordered the fish and chips and I ordered the clam chowder and just the fish. The chowder came first. Excellent. However, before I have finished it, the two orders of fish came. The manager apologized, took mine away and when I was through he brought me a fresh order. That is what I call great service. Incidentally the fish is cod and the batter is thin, crisp and not oily. Price is good as well. :D