coverage by Cpif (new to FWF)

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
jago
Newcomer
Newcomer

coverage by Cpif (new to FWF)

Post by jago »

Hello to all ,

I am new to this board and hope can get some clarification with coverage provided by CPIF. I checked previous discussions but it was not clear to me. If I have investments in GICs & index funds bought through brokerage firm. I asked my brokerage company if these are insured by cpif and was told they are. I assumed from that answer that if my brokerage firm goes bankruptcy I would be was covered but when I check cpif's web site I see the following:

8. Does CIPF protect the value of my GICs (guaranteed investment certificates)?
No, CIPF does not protect the value of your GICs. If you have an account with a CIPF member firm, and the CIPF member firm becomes insolvent, CIPF works to ensure that any property (including GICs) being held for you by the firm at that time is given back to you, within certain limits. CIPF does not guarantee what the GIC will be worth.

What is meant by "certain limits' ? what do they guarantee with the GIC ? Principle only, what about index funds ?[/size][/size]
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: coverage by Cpif (new to FWP)

Post by Spudd »

CPIF just covers cash in your brokerage account. GICs are covered by CDIC.

Index funds are not covered.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

CPIF protects the assets in the account in case of insolvency, etc. of the brokerage. It does not cover market valuations of the securities themselves. IOW, it protects against someone making off with your 100 shares of RY. It does not protect them from RY going insolvent and the value of those shares going to $0.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

To expand:
you use your brokerage to buy a $10k 5 year GIC @ 2% in January,
in June interest rates shoot up to 10% and your GIC is worth $8k,
then in July your brokerage becomes insolvent,
CIPF will make sure you have your original GIC returned to you (now worth $8k),
CDIC will make sure that the original terms of your GIC are honoured, likely by having it taken over by another member firm.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
jago
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: coverage by Cpif (new to FWF)

Post by jago »

This documents provides general information about CIDC’s coverage rules with respect to brokered deposits.

http://www.cdic.ca/en/financial-communi ... stees.aspx