House Insurance in United States

Leveraging, renting vs owning, making an investment or buying a home?
retirehappy
Newcomer
Newcomer

House Insurance in United States

Post by retirehappy »

Hi does anyone know of a reasonably priced insurance company who will provide homeowner insurance to non-US residents (part=time Canadians) in the United States. My homeowner insurance started at approx. $700US in 2013 and has now doubled in price (in US dollars). Thanks
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: House Insurance in United States

Post by AltaRed »

Maybe your issue is location dependent, e.g hurricane alley, and not particular to any insurance company? Increasingly violent weather events are going to drive insurance premiums through the roof, if available at all.

Try asking your current Cdn home insurance company for a recommendation. Sometimes they have a connection/referral possibility. I suspect you are not going to have many choices. The privilege of being wealthy enough to have a 2nd home down south.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

I use State Farm for our Arizona house. I wouldnt say they are exactly cheap though. Close to $5,000. Red is right. Not many know how to underwrite Canadians. Not having a SS number is an issue for some reason.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

retirehappy wrote: 02 Jan 2018 14:05 Hi does anyone know of a reasonably priced insurance company who will provide homeowner insurance to non-US residents (part=time Canadians) in the United States. My homeowner insurance started at approx. $700US in 2013 and has now doubled in price (in US dollars). Thanks
I use Safeco and Allstate.

How did your insurance double in price? Did you make a claim?