Housing Bubble - Aussie style

Leveraging, renting vs owning, making an investment or buying a home?
spazz
Contributor
Contributor

Housing Bubble - Aussie style

Post by spazz »

At the bottom of the article there is a 60 Minutes documentary on the Australian housing bubble.
The housing bubble in Australia has been talked about so extensively and has lasted so long without any harm coming to it that people here have pretty much dismissed the very possibility of a crash
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3924316 ... nity?ifp=0
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Housing Bubble - Aussie style

Post by Thegipper »

Sounds like Canada. I am given to understand that the Canadian banks have 1 trillion in residential mortgages. Most of those loans are CMHC insured. Hopefully it has enough in reserves to handle a crash.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Thegipper wrote:Sounds like Canada. I am given to understand that the Canadian banks have 1 trillion in residential mortgages. Most of those loans are CMHC insured. Hopefully it has enough in reserves to handle a crash.
Closer to $1.3T in mortgage debt.

I don't think most of those loans are CMHC insured. Any source appreciated.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Flaccidsteele wrote:
Thegipper wrote:Sounds like Canada. I am given to understand that the Canadian banks have 1 trillion in residential mortgages. Most of those loans are CMHC insured. Hopefully it has enough in reserves to handle a crash.
Closer to $1.3T in mortgage debt.

I don't think most of those loans are CMHC insured. Any source appreciated.
Some of that mortgage debt would be second mortgages, line of credit mortgage and mortgages that don't require a guarantee. Then some of these mortgages would be held by credit unions and smaller lenders like Bank of Western Canada, Home Capital, Laurentian etc. From what I can gather CMHC guarantees close to 600 billion and has about 15 million in reserves. CMHC competes with two private sector firms which provide mortgage insurance.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

^ The amount of debt that Canadians have is frighteningly crazy.