TC Energy formerly TransCanada (Symbol-TRP)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TransCanada (Symbol-TRP)

Post by AltaRed »

Per the link, a study suggested $76 as a breakup price? I thought it was already in nosebleed territory.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

AltaRed wrote:Per the link, a study suggested $76 as a breakup price? I thought it was already in nosebleed territory.
Me too. Also, I kinda like the company the way it is.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
petfiora
Contributor
Contributor

Post by petfiora »

And bmo investor line has been calling it a sell.
Some times I wonder about them guys.
Peter
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Interesting comment from Don Coxe on BNN yesterday, suggesting that Obama will have no choice but to approve Keystone within a couple of months after the Republicans take full control of the House and the Senate on Nov 4th as they have made it abundantly clear that will be the only way for future budgets to get approved.
pullingpitch
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pullingpitch »

Could anyone who holds TRP common shares with Computershare and participated in the DRIP or OCP for January 30, 2015 please tell me what price their shares were purchased at?
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

I have yet to receive mine at TDW
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

The reinvestment price for the Jan dividend was $57.678 at Computershare.
pullingpitch
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pullingpitch »

rishitibriwal wrote:The reinvestment price for the Jan dividend was $57.678 at Computershare.
Thanks. That's what shows up in my account as well however I am not able to reconcile it. The plan rules state that the purchase price is based on the weighted average trading price in the 5 days preceding the payment date. In this case, that would be January 23, 26,27,28,29. The stock never traded anywhere near 57.678 so I'm at a loss as to how they arrived at that price. Do you have any idea?
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

No idea. I have a few scrips with Computershare in the DRIP programs for the kids. I've never actually checked how the reinvestment prices are calculated. Maybe I should :shock:
StuBee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by StuBee »

Barrack Obama announced the rejection of Keystone XL. Largely expected but still TRP has dropped about 5% (Oh well...). I wonder what JT will say? I wonder how the TRP CEO will react? Is compensation likely?
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."-C.S.Lewis, The Last Battle
trf1066ca
Contributor
Contributor

Post by trf1066ca »

StuBee wrote:Is compensation likely?
No.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

I may be reading into it much but this was a brilliant play by TRP if this is what they wanted. It seems everyone involved had no balls (Notley, Obama, Trudeaue) to commit to anything. They all straddled the fence and played both sides to various degrees and we're no closer to building any of the 3 pipelines in question. I wonder if TRPs request to hold off keystone decision was just a way to force Obamas hand. It was such an unusual request and Obama seemed to have taken the bait. Why else would he make this decision now in the same week that they make that request?

So what happens now? I think all the attention will turn in getting Energy east approved since it emphasizes that we can't rely on a single entity for our future; we need other markets. As I said, perhaps I'm reading into this too much but I certainly did add to TRP today.
jeremy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeremy »

The timing may have been diplomatic--it avoided a confrontation with Harper who said he wouldn't take no for an answer, and it's early enough in Trudeau's mandate that he won't get blamed for it being rejected.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

The timing was a way for Obama to claim in Paris he's reducing global CO2. After all, he can point out how he's reducing emissions in Canada while the US continues to burn copious amounts of coal.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

It's hardly diplomatic. He strings us along for six years not having the balls to say no to Harper then says no when a new prime minister is at his weakest. It's a kick in the teeth to Canada.

Also a wake-up call that our new prime minister is a pushover. A "fresh start" indeed!
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Also a wake-up call that our new prime minister is a pushover.
Do you expect a declaration of war? :shock:

Harper tried the "no-brainer" bit and "we won't take no for an answer" and got nowhere.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Wallace wrote: Also a wake-up call that our new prime minister is a pushover.
Well, we don't really know the degree of disappointment that JT conveyed to Obama. Hopefully, there was more than the "Our relationship with the US is bigger than Keystone". I also hope that his apparent desire to keep everybody happy will not make him a pushover.
That said, I felt Obama's shallow excuses for rejecting the pipeline after 7 years and $3 billion of grovelling by TRP and Canada was nothing short of an insult. Cleaning up his own filthy coal industry would make a much greater impact on reducing pollution than dirty oil from Canada.
This one should be filed away until the south-western US needs our water. But I doubt if they will come begging.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

schmuck wrote:
Wallace wrote: Also a wake-up call that our new prime minister is a pushover.
Well, we don't really know the degree of disappointment that JT conveyed to Obama. Hopefully, there was more than the "Our relationship with the US is bigger than Keystone". I also hope that his apparent desire to keep everybody happy will not make him a pushover.
That said, I felt Obama's shallow excuses for rejecting the pipeline after 7 years and $3 billion of grovelling by TRP and Canada was nothing short of an insult. Cleaning up his own filthy coal industry would make a much greater impact on reducing pollution than dirty oil from Canada.
This one should be filed away until the south-western US needs our water. But I doubt if they will come begging.
Agreed. The degree to which Obama has been willing to fight the next election, even though he's not running is odd. Also agree about the coal industry. When they want our water, they will take it.

2 yen
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

There were a few articles this week outlining that the US has developed 10+ pipelines in the past 5 years (don't quote me exactly on the number) linking into the same network TRP was wanting to connect to. It could also be a protectionist move (thats a no brainer IMHO), but something I think all shareholders expected. I actually liked the move by TRP to just get this out now rather then waiting 2-3 more years.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I think TRP, with the support of Canadians and the Canadian government, should now turn its attention east. That also is a no-brainer.

As long as we are using oil and gasoline, that oil should be Canadian produced and refined. Provincial leaders must be convinced that this is in all of our interests.

That being said, I support the fight against Climate Change (is this now capitalized?!), and so all leaders should at the same commit to increasing renewable energy, encouraging energy efficiency, and supporting technologies that will limit or reverse the damage done by burning fossil fuels.

The attention is all on the evil producers and pipelines that extract and ship this product. More attention should be directed at the consumers who use it freely and without limit. Like the war on drugs, more emphasis should be placed on treating the users rather than on the punishing the dealers.

I'll be getting in my car to drive to work momentarily, so I have no right to criticize Suncor or TRP or the fellow who works at the station pumping the gas.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

Interesting discussion on this one. Since I'm a shareholder in TRP, I've been keeping an eye on it for several years as much as my time permits. As mentioned above, this cancellation has been anticipated for at least two years, so it shouldn't have been any big surprise. Moreover, TRP themselves have said in the past that a cancellation would not be all that significant to the overall business. According to a TDW interview, TRP still has a backlog of $38 billion of projects including Energy East. Agreed Energy East is a no-brainer now, and it was a no-brainer 40 years ago when we learned in school that oil was moving around in a big circle including eastern Canada being supplied largely with Venezuelan oil. :shock:

I can't really see any sense in blaming politicians for this fairly minor setback. They do what they do. As far as Trudeau goes, he has to govern the whole country and TRP is only one small part of it. I'm sure he doesn't want to start a pissing match with the US at this point. In the US, Obama has a lot of other things to worry about (and I hope he IS worrying about them) than a few hundred miles of pipeline.

Also, I don't let myself overestimate Canada's importance to the United States. We're a trading partner, yes, but Obama or any other president doesn't care about who the Prime Minister is in Canada or even whether they are kicking them in the teeth. From their point of view as current masters of the world, Canada is there to provide resources or any other support when necessary for their national and global agenda. That is one thing I've learned living as a Canadian living outside Canada. It is much easier to see from where I sit especially since the same relationship is equally applicable to Japan.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

TransCanada to raise dividend, add C$13 billion of new projects | Business | Reuters
Canada's second largest pipeline company said on Tuesday at an investor day in Toronto that it anticipates increasing its common share dividend at an average annual rate of 8 to 10 percent through 2020.
8%+5%+13%. Yum, yum. :thumbsup:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Shakespeare wrote:TransCanada to raise dividend, add C$13 billion of new projects | Business | Reuters
Canada's second largest pipeline company said on Tuesday at an investor day in Toronto that it anticipates increasing its common share dividend at an average annual rate of 8 to 10 percent through 2020.
8%+5%+13%. Yum, yum. :thumbsup:
Makes that cut seem like ancient history.

2 yen
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

With all the politics involved in the big pipe projects, it makes a lot of sense to pursue smaller projects that don't receive the same attention or require the same high levels of approval and regulation. It also makes sense for TRP to diversify away from liquids transport into power production projects, including renewables. I can see the latter getting increased funding and smiles in the coming years while the pipes gets frowned upon
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I also find it interesting that TRP has jumped on the bandwagon of companies promising a certain level of dividend growth into the foreseeable future. Along with ENB, ENF, EMA, FTS, TRP has set a very specific goal for dividend growth. Is it attainable? Is it merely a carrot to entice the "dividend zombies" (of which I am one!)?