Tim Hortons (THI)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Tim Hortons (THI)

Post by yielder »

dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

If that happened most of Wendy's shareowners would dump Wendy shares and buy Tim Horton. IMO
A fool and his money are lucky to get togethere in the first place
ukridge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ukridge »

Another way to play Tim Hortons with hopefully better odds than "Roll up the rim". :D
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

I sold June $40 puts last week for $1.10

Those same puts today are worth $0.70

Roll up the rim. :lol:
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
bribarb
Contributor
Contributor

New Issue for Iim Hortons

Post by bribarb »

What would Wendys have to do to get you interested in the new Issue?
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this topic!
I'm just dying for some Tim Horton cof...er stock :)
unicef01
Contributor
Contributor

Tim Hortons

Post by unicef01 »

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nation ... 51201.html

a question, will existing holders of Wendy's get shares in Tim Hortons ?
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tim Hortons

Post by dakota »

unicef01 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nation ... 51201.html

I don't think so but they'll have the money from the IPO, or at least the company that they own shares in will. :)
harry
Contributor
Contributor

Timmies IPO

Post by harry »

Any info on Timmies IPO. Waterhouse says they have no information as yet.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Timmies IPO

Post by yielder »

harry wrote:Any info on Timmies IPO. Waterhouse says they have no information as yet.
S-1 REGISTRATION STATEMENT
millergd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Tim Horton's IPO

Post by millergd »

The IPO is closed (i.e. expressions of interest covered). Unless you're an institutional investor or have some very good connections, it's virtually impossible to buy into the IPO stage. I even checked with a friend at RBC (one of the underwriters) and his word is that it's a lost cause.

Your best hope is to buy shares on the first day of trading. The new symbol will be THI.

~millergd~
Lazagna
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lazagna »

Will anyone be investing in this? Is it worth investing even after it is out in the market (first day)?

(edited for grammar mostly)
Lazagna
Calgary, AB
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Just a note to the moderator: the stock symbol will be THI and should be in the title.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
yammer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by yammer »

I feel this will skyrocket out of the gate when it hits open trading. But the question I have is how will the price do over the long haul, since Wendy's is only offing a small percentage of the company initally and then at some point selling off more at their discretion. How much will that affect the price one the 'craze' winds down?
Keithm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keithm »

I'm on the list at RBC. They said I might not get all I asked for but will share in the pool for the office.

I figure it will be a rocket for a few days and a quick sell for me.

I drink TH's coffee but am not adversed to making a quick buck if I can :D
bubbalouie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by bubbalouie »

Considering Tim is on track to earn around $225 million in 2005 and there will be 193 million shares outstanding, that works out to be US$1.16 eps.

The ipo price is rumoured to be $19, so the p/e would be 16.37.

Not bad at all imo.
"They misunderestimated me." --George W. Bush, November 6, 2000
unicef01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by unicef01 »

unicef01 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nation ... 51201.html

kinda sounds like it..

"owever, as part of a deal with several key investors announced late Thursday, Wendy's will spin off all of those remaining shares in Tim Hortons to shareholders no later than Dec. 31, 2006.

Wendy's also said that after the IPO it will consider ways to return excess cash to shareholders, including share repurchases or dividends. "

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nation ... 60303.html

would just getting shares of wendy's be a better deal ?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

unicef01 wrote:a question, will existing holders of Wendy's get shares in Tim Hortons ?
Another question that Timmies addicts want answered: Are THI shares included in the list of prizes in the current promotion?

Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by NormR »

Is it just me, or has the quality of Tim's baked goods been in decline?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

NormR wrote:Is it just me
No.
or has the quality of Tim's baked goods been in decline?
Yes.
Tim Horton's Moving to Frozen Donuts
by David Swick/Hfx Daily News
Friday September 19, 2003 at 06:45 AM

Frozen doughnuts, fried in a factory near Toronto and trucked 2,000 kilometres, are about to replace fresh, locally made doughnuts.

If you are a fan of Tim Hortons, be warned. Frozen doughnuts, fried in a factory near Toronto and trucked 2,000 kilometres, are about to replace fresh, locally made doughnuts at stores in Atlantic Canada.

Tim Hortons is being secretive about this major change. No news release has been issued, no celebratory advertising campaign launched.

But franchise operators are busy preparing for the coming change. Franchisee Stephen Breed addressed the issue in an August 25 letter to staff at his outlets in Dartmouth and the Halifax International Airport.

I called Breed on Monday, but, by Thursday, had not heard back. Also Monday, I called Andrea Hughes, Tim Hortons manager for Atlantic Canada, at the regional headquarters in Debert, N.S. She said she’d phone back, but never did. And the national vice-president of corporate communications for Tim Hortons, Patty Jameson in Oakville, Ont., didn’t call back, either.

Hmm, is there something they don’t want to talk about?

A year ago, Tim Hortons built a 230,000 square-foot plant in Brantford, Ont. It has the capacity to supply all Canadian and U.S. Tim Hortons outlets with doughnuts, cookies and croissants. From one central factory, all Tim Hortons snacks can be shipped to the hinterlands.

This follows a U.S. trend toward mega-bakeries that freeze their product, put it on trucks and ship it everywhere else. In upstate New York, one Granny’s Kitchens factory makes more than 1.5 million doughnuts a day.

The frozen doughnuts, cookies and croissants are then resuscitated by staff in local outlets. This can be done by anyone at the press of a button, meaning that bakers — among the best-paid people in doughnut shops — can be laid off. (This major change in Tim Hortons policy is accompanied, at least in Breed’s outlets, with a policy change affecting what staff eats. Until now they could eat doughnuts for free; from now on they have to pay 50 per cent.)

Frying doughnuts in one megaplant and shipping them thousands of kilometres on trucks is not a move made with customers in mind. And it prompts some serious questions that must be asked.

Will the Tim Hortons motto — Always Fresh — be changed? Those words appear outside almost every outlet, all 74 in metro Halifax and more than 2,000 across the country. But is it fair to say “fresh” when a doughnut was fried days, weeks or, maybe, months ago? Does “fresh” mean fresh, or resuscitated? Would continuing to say “fresh” be false advertising?

Last winter, when I first revealed that Tim Hortons was planning to cook their snack foods in Ontario and send them on freezer trucks to Atlantic Canada, national communications VP Jameson attempted to sidestep the issue. “We have not made any plans,” she said, “that are open for public knowledge.”

That much is true. That Tim Hortons is now putting their plan into action — again without telling us — only underscores the point.

Atlantic Canada has a 25-year love affair with Tim Hortons. For many of us, Tims is our favourite local meeting place. For some of us, it’s our home away from home.

But it’s time to give this hallowed relationship a second thought. If I want a doughnut, I don’t want one cooked near Toronto.

The fact the Tim Hortons corporation is being sneaky about this just makes things worse.

David Swick is a staff columnist with The Daily News in Halifax where this column first appeared.
Mouly
Contributor
Contributor

Too bad they couldn't be listed as DBDB

Post by Mouly »

Too bad they couldn't be listed as DBDB
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

Nasty. Along with quality decline, I know they reduced the average size of the donuts and it also appears to me they have reduced selection.

It almost seems like the MBA's running the show are thinking: "We've got a really good thing going here, let's find ways to screw it up."
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Chuck wrote:I know they reduced the average size of the donuts
Apparently that too, although not according to official Timmies spin (from CBC via Google circa 2003):
Tim Hortons takes a bite out of its doughnuts
Tim Hortons is shaving down the size of its doughnuts to what they were in 1964. The doughnut and coffee giant says the change is a way of standardizing all franchises by using the original dimensions established when the chain first opened almost 40 years ago. "Since 1964 we've had specifications for the size of the doughnuts but over the years, franchise operators deviated from that and made bigger or smaller doughnuts," said Patrician Jamieson of Tim Hortons. Jamieson says the doughnuts "lacked consistency" so the company decided to re-issue the original specifications so that all the doughnuts will be the same size across Canada.
bubbalouie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by bubbalouie »

Interesting article in today's FP Business magazine.

However, the writer was inaccurate in stating the profits of Tim Horton's.
Its profit of US$279 million topped that of Wendy's by more than US$50 million.
According to Wendy's news release, that $279 million was "operating profit", before interest expense, interest income and taxes.
"They misunderestimated me." --George W. Bush, November 6, 2000
beaverlodge
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by beaverlodge »

Reduced size of donots and frozen donots from Tim Horton's?

And a reduced selection? And prices that just increased?

Guess Canadians like it. The lineups are long.