Tim Hortons (THI)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tim Hortons (THI)

Post by BRIAN5000 »

The X-large coffee this morning was $1.75 instead of the old price of $1.68 in BC. Will this add to revenue's?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

XL went to $1.72 here last month. Did the price of coffee beans go up the last few months?
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by NormR »

Taggart wrote:Some interesting comments from eight readers (all negative) on Tim Hortons, touted in this John Heinzl column.
I agree with several of the comments. Tim's baked goods (the donuts in particular) are very substandard.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Tim Hortons aims for 600 new Canadian stores, 300 in U.S. by 2013. My only reaction, where are they going to find 600 new Canadian locations, haven't they reached saturation of most markets.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:haven't they reached saturation of most markets.
Nope. Saturation is when you can stand at the entrance to any metropolitan Timmies and see at least two others :shock:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Q1 EPS Increase is 21.6% YOY
Same store sales up 5.2% in Canada, 3% in the US.
Revenue up 4.8%
Exceeded analyst estimates for both revenue and EPS.

Source
For the fun of it...Keith
bones1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bones1 »

NormR wrote:
I agree with several of the comments. Tim's baked goods (the donuts in particular) are very substandard.
Several years ago, their donuts used to be quite good, apple fritters in particular. But then they shrank them to half the size, and changed the recipe to something very bland. Now, I hardly ever go there. (I'm not a coffee drinker.) On the rare occasion I have to get lunch there, I find their meal stuff equally bland and certainly no cheaper than other fast-food outlets.

I think Tim Hortons is going by name-brand recognition. They're certainly not going by quality. They remind me of Harvey's. It used to be a great burger chain; then their quality started going downhill, and now it's hard to even find one still in business. (And good riddance.)
marty123
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by marty123 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Nope. Saturation is when you can stand at the entrance to any metropolitan Timmies and see at least two others :shock:
Years ago (15+), that's how it was with McDonald's on Yonge Street north of College Street. I bet you they still found a way to add a few.
bekair
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bekair »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Dentists & Opticals in Algaddoes Mx. (MANY more than just 2)

bbt
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Dentists & Opticals in Algaddoes Mx. (MANY more than just 2)
Barbershops just outside the entrance to the Marine base at Camp Pendleton, California.

(I made the mistake of having my hair cut in one of them. Their opinion of "not too short" was different from mine. :lol: But it grew back.)
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Tim Hortons aims for 600 new Canadian stores, 300 in U.S. by 2013. My only reaction, where are they going to find 600 new Canadian locations, haven't they reached saturation of most markets.
A lot of options to expand in Gas Stations,Office buildings,Hospitals etc etc etc ................
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

biker wrote:A lot of options to expand in ... Hospitals
Both local hospitals have Timmies at their main entrances and not far from Emergency. Full service treatment, from your first bite into the donut all the way through to your recovery in cardiac care :roll:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
investor99
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by investor99 »

Coffee = Bland and doesn't actually smell or taste like coffee
Customer Service = Brutal
TV Commercials= Corny as they come
Baked Goods = Processed
Sandwiches = Adequate at best

But yet, awesome brand and strongest food retail franchise in Canada. I would never buy the shares, because I can't help but think that if they keep going in the wrong direction on the factors above the company will suffer.
The best time to plant an Oak tree was twenty five years ago. The second best time is now.
--
http://themoneygardener.com/
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

All Tim Horton's used to make all of their donuts on site. Some years ago, that policy changed and I believe that, at least in Southern Ontario, all donuts are delivered from TO "fresh" daily.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

THI has done to doughnuts what Kraft did to cheese. :evil:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Dennis wrote:All Tim Horton's used to make all of their donuts on site. Some years ago, that policy changed and I believe that, at least in Southern Ontario, all donuts are delivered from TO "fresh" daily.
Each Timmies has a "full service bakery location" that they get their baked goods from. Usually within 10km, not from TO. (I wouldn't want to be ordering a donut in Windsor if that was the case :wink: )

I know the one here on Davis Drive in Newmarket bakes, then delivers to the surrounding 5-6.
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
investor99
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by investor99 »

Maidstone Bakery on the 403 in Brantford must make donuts for countless Hortons as they entire North End of the city smells like donuts on many mornings.
The best time to plant an Oak tree was twenty five years ago. The second best time is now.
--
millergd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by millergd »

Tim Horton's aiming for global expansion circa McDonald's
Tim Hortons Inc. is looking to follow the lead of McDonald's and Starbucks, with plans for a worldwide expansion.

Promising shareholders at the company's annual general meeting a "dramatically different" company in four years, chief executive Don Schroeder said it is looking to extend beyond Canada and the United States.

"We are in the process right now of developing an international strategic plan, and we are going to present that to the board next month," he said after the meeting. "Later this year, assuming it is approved, we will make a further announcement (about) the next step."
They will either be highly successful or Canada's next Jean-Coutu. What remains to be seen is whether acquisitions or partnerships will be part of their game plan...and larger dividends too?

~millergd~
investor99
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by investor99 »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le1569626/

I guess they do bake them there for all 3,600 locations.
--
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

investor99 wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le1569626/

This came about a fair few years back due to consistency problems from having local bakers at each store, as they did a long time ago. In some locations, the difference in size and quality of the baked goods was so ridiculous it wasn't even funny so Tim's did what any franchise worth it's salt must, it standardized. Many people refused to believe they were essentially eating McCain's frozen donuts, despite the physical shrinkage of product and the dramatic increase of Tim Horton's semi's on the road.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

FinEcon wrote:
investor99 wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le1569626/

This came about a fair few years back due to consistency problems from having local bakers at each store, as they did a long time ago. In some locations, the difference in size and quality of the baked goods was so ridiculous it wasn't even funny so Tim's did what any franchise worth it's salt must, it standardized. Many people refused to believe they were essentially eating McCain's frozen donuts, despite the physical shrinkage of product and the dramatic increase of Tim Horton's semi's on the road.
My daughter used to be a baker at the Leslie & Davis Drive Tim's in Newmarket. The muffins she baked were awesome. I was always disappointed with the baked goods from other locations.
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Ah yes, the par baked system. DW used to work for Canada Bread and developed some Tim Horton's stuff.
I forgot about that.
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

Tim Hortons’ extra-large trouble trouble
by Macleans.ca
Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"In the coming weeks, Tim’s devoted disciples will receive a very fresh reminder about just how much their donuts have evolved. Hortons’ historic decision to go frozen is now at the heart of a proposed $1.95-billion class action lawsuit that has exposed a bitter—and very personal—battle inside the country’s favourite coffee shop. Scheduled for a hearing in November, the high-stakes case pits store owners against senior executives, store owners versus each other, and even relative against relative. And no matter how many spokespeople try to control the message, the spat is sure to have some patrons pining for the old days, when the smell of deep-fried Dutchies hung in the air at their local shop."

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-fi ... le-trouble
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Did THI hit support this past week or is it a dead cat bounce ?
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
gyrfalcon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gyrfalcon »

optionable68 wrote:Did THI hit support this past week or is it a dead cat bounce ?
You might get a double double here ....